Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitylove View Post
Applewood Mesa in Golden would get you into Maple Grove Elementary which is a good school in the area (typically you can choice into any school, however, they usually fill up with the neighborhood kids first). Look closer to I-70. The further west you go towards Golden the more expensive and probably out of your budget the houses are. You would probably have to drive to downtown Golden and the light rail, but there is easy access to I-70. You could also check out other parts of Applewood in Lakewood and Wheat Ridge. The schools are not as highly rated, but it is important to visit them and not necessarily go off of scores. I live in Applewood and would be happy to answer any questions on the area.
Maple Grove is a neighborhood school. Therefore, students in the attendance area get priority. Colorado has statewide open enrollment, but the districts can make their own priorities as long as they don't racially discriminate. No one should move into one neighborhood thinking they can send their kids to a different neighborhood school, or a charter or magnet school (I believe called Option school in Jeffco). Assume your kid will go to the neighborhood school. All schools can reject kids if there are more applicants than there are spaces for.

For job hunting, I probably wouldn't pick Golden; it's too far west for many jobs. Now if the DH gets a job in/near Golden, it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM

42 posts, read 85,810 times
Thank you! He will be working from home initially and when we come out later this month will definitely take this advice into consideration.

We like the look of golden on paper as far as it appears to be more of a mountain town but still close to Denver. We were out to CO 7 years ago and always wanted to move there since, unfortunately we never made it to golden to visit. So this trip we are checking out golden, arvada, littleton, castle rock and ft collins (although not sure if job market is good up there).
Applewood does look quite nice as well.

Realistically if hubby eventually works in Denver and takes light rail from golden how long is that commute?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM

403 posts, read 759,129 times
The commute from the Jefferson Co. Gov't stop to Union Station is about 30-33 minutes. Easy 12 mile ride.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM

42 posts, read 85,810 times
Thank you Alliern, that is helpful. I have seen your other posts about your community in Evergreen, is our 350K budget doable there and what would the commute be like from there?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

403 posts, read 759,129 times
There are a few areas of Evergreen where your budget of $350k is doable. I would say that you can get even more for your money in Conifer.

The schools are great from Kindergarten through high school. The commute would be down Hwy. 285 which is a well maintained cement highway. As long as you are within a few minutes of the highway, your commute would be about 45 minutes to downtown Denver. There are park and rides and many people opt to do that and take the bus into Denver.

You will be able to get a 3BR/2BA on 1 or more acres. You will feel like you are living in Colorado in Conifer as opposed to areas in metro Denver...which could be anywhere suburbia until you look west at the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver