Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-In-Cali View Post
So how does City Park compare for you to NY's parks? I realize it wouldnt have all the buildings but evenso, does it truly have that "city park" feel to it? I am excited to come and check out these places you all have suggested.
It definitely has a "city park" feel to it. It is bordered by some beautiful apartment buildings and single family houses, and as I noted there is a museum and, forgot to mention, the Zoo, right there in the park.

You can see some of the Denver skyline, but, you can also get that feeling of being away from the city proper, which is very nice.

A nice representative picture here:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...ark-denver.jpg

More here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...hrome&ie=UTF-8

And from C-D:
//www.city-data.com/articles/Ci...CO-Park.html#b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 AM

37 posts, read 54,916 times
Someone mentioned Highlands too in comparison to a Brooklyn, NY. What is this area like overall and its proximity to NJH?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times
Here is a map of the neighborhoods. You can print it out and put a push pin in where the hospital is. Then you'll have a good way to check where everything is in relation to it.

http://denvercofinestrealty.com/Map-...ghborhoods.png

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Excellent

Quote:
Someone mentioned Highlands too in comparison to a Brooklyn, NY. What is this area like overall and its proximity to NJH?
Approximately 6-7 miles from somewhere in the "Highlands" to NJH.

The term "Highlands" is a stretchy one.
There are as many as 6 official neighborhoods that get called (incorrectly) Highlands:
Highland, West Highland, Jefferson, Sloan's Lake, Sunnyside and Berkeley.

Rents are highest in Highland (a subset of which is called LoHi) and lowest in Sunnyside.
A 900 sqft house near me in Berkeley just rented for $1575.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM

473 posts, read 848,817 times
And while not miserable compared to other city's commutes, it would be a PITA to access NJH from Highlands on a regular basis which involves crossing downtown (assuming more than a couple times a week if that's what you need) factoring in rush hour morning and night, sporting/cultural events, and festivals which close streets in and around Civic Center Park on various weekends. I'd prefer to live east or south of downtown.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 08-01-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 11:54 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
Quote:
The Highlands Mommies might be able to shed some light for you....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Cougar central..that makes sense based on the description..sounds like this is where the "Housewives of Denver" would land if Bravo came to CO. Day trip for me. I guess it's worth mentioning again, I am a musician/singer/songwriter, not my day job yet, but one day hopefully I can do it more full time than part time. So I read a lot about one area thats great for music. I dont want to live there, but would love to frequent it to gig sometimes there. I think it was East Colfax or something like that on the Denver City website. Hopefully City Park, Congress Park and Cap Hill are all central to that so itll be easy to commute when I play out. Would be nice to get a buzz in that area musically. Totally off track. How's this music scene there I read about?
Yes East Colfax is very close to Congress Park and City Park.

You really need to come visit so you can walk/drive these areas. I'll say it again, Congress Park would be a no brainer for me were I in your situation.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM

37 posts, read 54,916 times
Thanks again everyone, can't thank you enough. Yes, coming out soon to look around and this has helped infinitely. Flight specials are only 150 each way, from where we are, insanely cheap. There are so many roommate opportunities for CFO and CCA where I'll be taking a a couple of classes, but all those were all in Aurora. I really needed to remain close to NJH and commute to Lowery (sp?) only for courses a couple days a week. I feel much better about where to hone in now in Denver before we land that will cater to my son's needs and also as a family. I hope to find some interesting meetup groups for thirtysomethings as well...I love wine and cuisine and outings. any suggestions for resources for activities and meetups would be great too. Also looking for a good church to attend sometimes where my son can also have some great fellowship with other kids, if anyone has any additional suggestions. The only one I have heard of that stands out to me in the area is Marilyn Hickey's in Englewood.

I looked up the nature and science museum as well as the zoo in the area. I think this is going to be a great transition. My son is already excited. We are both looking forward to the beautiful winters. I forgot to ask if dogs are allowed in City Park to be walked and leash laws? Dog parks are definitely a huge plus...I do have an alaskan malamute, Im sure there are many groups for these dogs in Colorado.

Any additional thoughts are so welcome.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:56 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Dogs are allowed on leash in all Denver parks. There is a small off leash park a few blocks southwest of City Park.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,694,370 times
Quote:
Thanks again everyone, can't thank you enough. Yes, coming out soon to look around and this has helped infinitely. Flight specials are only 150 each way, from where we are, insanely cheap. There are so many roommate opportunities for CFO and CCA where I'll be taking a a couple of classes, but all those were all in Aurora. I really needed to remain close to NJH and commute to Lowery (sp?) only for courses a couple days a week. I feel much better about where to hone in now in Denver before we land that will cater to my son's needs and also as a family. I hope to find some interesting meetup groups for thirtysomethings as well...I love wine and cuisine and outings. any suggestions for resources for activities and meetups would be great too. Also looking for a good church to attend sometimes where my son can also have some great fellowship with other kids, if anyone has any additional suggestions. The only one I have heard of that stands out to me in the area is Marilyn Hickey's in Englewood.

I looked up the nature and science museum as well as the zoo in the area. I think this is going to be a great transition. My son is already excited. We are both looking forward to the beautiful winters. I forgot to ask if dogs are allowed in City Park to be walked and leash laws? Dog parks are definitely a huge plus...I do have an alaskan malamute, Im sure there are many groups for these dogs in Colorado.

Any additional thoughts are so welcome.
It is extremely dog-friendly here.

And, Malamutes and Siberian huskies are BIG here. Lots of people have them. I have a Sibe myself.
There is a local group, Husky Huddle and Malamute Mingle - Colorado, that organizes weekend meetups in dog parks around the area for those breeds.

They are on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7519125&ref=mf

More info here:
H2M2 Nation - About
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver