U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,402 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of threads on "DC to CO" or general East Cost to CO, but I thought I'd start a thread asking for advice on my specific situation. My husband and I are in the process of moving and we're deciding if we want to remain in Northern Virginia or take the opportunity to relocate. He can have his federal job transferred to Denver (so Federal Center area), but unfortunately I would lose my own job (which I enjoy) in the process. I work in journalism/publications - is there a market out in Denver for this?

Are there any "younger" neighborhoods you could suggest? Either in the city or suburbs. I guess we'd have about $200-300k to throw around with me out of work, preferably not a condo (although we will most likely rent before buying). We're both pretty active (theater, he does fencing, we both game; we'd like to throw some more outdoorsy stuff into the mix). Also curious - what are the schools like? We're not sure about kids yet, but are there any districts that stand out as being better than others?

We have friends in the area and have visited on several occasions (they live in Wheat Ridge). We really enjoy Denver and the "calmer" vibe. I hate the thought of moving away from my parents, but I have little patience after living in DC/NoVA, and my stress level goes through the roof when I have to drive anywhere.

Thanks!

Edit: Also wanted to add a big reason for wanting to move is the cost of living here. On our current budget, even with me working, we can only afford a 2-3 bedroom older townhome about 20 miles out from the city. His commute into DC would be about an hour each way by train.

Last edited by ked1985; 07-31-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM

5,431 posts, read 11,438,704 times
Denver's housing market is HOT right now. You won't find anything in your price range in a school district that stands out. You'll be lucky to find a good rental right now.

I suggest that you set your housing budget based on your husband's income. I don't know anything about the job market for your skills, so have no suggestions.

There have been threads with suggestions on younger neighborhoods. Most of them are located near central Denver, which probably wouldn't be a bad commute for your husband.

Hopefully your friends in the area can help guide you in your housing search.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM

16,888 posts, read 26,231,782 times
Default Wheat Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ked1985 View Post
have his federal job transferred to Denver (so Federal Center area)
Wheat Ridge. Look around Panorama Park. Easy to get into Denver. Easy to get to the Fed Center. Affordable.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM

11,624 posts, read 32,319,867 times
Lakewood, specifically Green Mountain area anything along the west light rail line.

Don't know where in DC you are or how long you have been there, Lakewood is a lot like Silver Springs - 25 years ago. Jefferson County has the largest school district in the state.

Try padmnapper.com for rentals and greatschools.net. Expect to pay 12-15% more for housing next year check our recolorado.com for MLS active lisitngs.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:33 AM

24,028 posts, read 44,591,769 times
Silly tidbit: If you must drive, a north-south drive will prevent "sun in the eyes" of an eastbound A.M. commute and a westbound P.M. commute.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM

90,352 posts, read 113,633,398 times
In general, the school districts here are all good. You'll find those who disagree, or those who suggest a specific district. Since you don't have any kids yet, and since you plan to rent first, my advice would be to just take a rental and learn the "lay of the land".

Old 08-01-2013, 08:03 PM

77 posts, read 106,112 times
Default The school districts here are equally bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In general, the school districts here are all good. You'll find those who disagree, or those who suggest a specific district. Since you don't have any kids yet, and since you plan to rent first, my advice would be to just take a rental and learn the "lay of the land".
Nonsense, compared to NoVA the school districts in Colorado are all equally BAD (with the exception of pockets of Boulder county around places like Fairview High). Colorado is in the 40's of states (i.e., the bottom) for amount spent per pupil. Your property taxes coming from VA will go down significantly due to the stingy school system.

200-300K could buy you a place in Wheat Ridge that has a good amount of land but was last updated in the 1970s (so possibly never since it was built). Having grown up in MoCo, it is very much like Silver Spring in the 1970s (i.e., the houses look like the 1970s). It's a dry climate, however, so if you find a home with good bones (no foundation cracks primarily due to settling), you'll be able to update it at your leisure, unlike on the east coast where the place would have caved in from the humidity by now. It's more cosmetic than anything else. Just don't have too high of standards for "newness", and you'll be fine.

The property values in the western part of Denver metro will likely continue to go up to due ease of access to the mountains and to Denver (via the various E-W numbered avenues) and the newly opened light rail. In addition to Wheat Ridge, I would look at Lakewood along the 13th ave. corridor that the light rail runs, especially in the vicinity (for your price range) of Wadsworth, Garrison, and Oak stations. Federal Center, Red Rocks, and Golden station are also good areas, but you may find that the Green Mountain neighborhoods (which these are near) are out of your price range, but check anyway (I'm not as familiar myself with some of the neighborhoods near Alameda). The property values in this area, if my experience growing up in the DC area after the Metro opened is any indication, will jump considerably if they are within 1-2 miles of the light rail.

In general, JeffCo schools, for Colorado, are OK. Wheat Ridge High is one of the better districts, from what I gather, though the middle schools, for reasons I cannot comprehend, are universally terrible it seems. Lakewood High is even better, I think. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM

16,888 posts, read 26,231,782 times
Default I call bullpucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelvedere View Post
compared to NoVA the school districts in Colorado are all equally BAD
...Colorado is in the 40's [sic] of states (i.e., the bottom) for amount spent per pupil
1. My counter example is D'Evelyn.
2. Per-pupil educational expenditures adjusted for regional cost differences | KIDS COUNT Data Center

Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM

11,624 posts, read 32,319,867 times
I graduated high school in MoCo aka Montgomery County. I completely disagree with that statement. Cherry Creek, Boulder, and Jeffco and Douglas county are really good.

Looking up national rankings, Winston Churchill has a national rank of 52. When I moved here 24 years ago, MoCo and cherry creek were 3rd and 4th.

Average sales price in Potomac, MD is $600,000. Average price in metro Denver is $350,000.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:06 AM

77 posts, read 106,112 times
Default Not so fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. I see your "D'Evelyn" and raise you a "Thomas Jefferson." I'm glad JeffCo has a magnet school, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything for the median school in the Denver metro area.

2. Using that same data, Colorado average is ~$1800 below national average (NCES data, The Graph that Says it All | Great Education Colorado). And if you compare the DC metro area (i.e. NoVA, not the rest of VA, which is basically the deep south and brings down the VA numbers) to the Denver metro expenditures per pupil you see this:

APS Per-Pupil Spending Again Highest in Region | ARLnow.com

Find your district’s 2012-13 funding numbers | EdNewsColorado
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>