Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM

557 posts, read 810,830 times

Advertisements

We've been in Denver a month now, and want to get some hikes in while the weather is good. We've only done 1 so far, at Clear Creek/St Marys, but really enjoyed it. We didn't have any problems being at 10,800+. Any good suggestions on some newb scenic day hikes, relatively close to Denver? Keeping in mind that we don't have "gear" per se, but we don't necessarily mind some terrain either.

I've checked out dayhikesneardenver.com, which is awesome, but it's a ton of info for a couple just starting. I don't even know where to begin, and I'm sure you guys have the perfect recommendations from personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
The weather will be fine for hiking for quite some time. .

What is "relatively close" to Denver to you?

Are you only interested in mountain hiking?

There are all kinds of books and sites that give good reviews and rate by difficulty of various hikes.

http://alltrails.com/us/colorado/larkspur

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-06-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Devil's Head is close by (but it gets crowded in a hurry).
http://alltrails.com/trail/us/colora...-lookout-trail

Castlewood Canyon also has some nice hiking even though it's not in the mountains.
http://alltrails.com/trail/us/colora...d-canyon-trail

There's also some easily accessible hiking from the top of Loveland Pass.
http://www.summitpost.org/mount-sniktau/152332

Old 08-06-2013, 06:39 PM

47 posts, read 93,018 times
Herman's Gulch is a GREAT hike, if not a little strenuous for the first stretch.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The weather will be fine for hiking for quite some time. .

What is "relatively close" to Denver to you?

Are you only interested in mountain hiking?

There are all kinds of books and sites that give good reviews and rate by difficulty of various hikes.

Larkspur Trails - Best Larkspur camping, hiking & biking trails | AllTrails.com
I didn't really want to give too tight of a set of parameters. Trying to get a feel for others' most appreciated hiking spots. I'm not asking for 10 locales; your one or two "go to" spots if you care to share.

But, if you insist . . .

An hour or so away I suppose.

Not necessarily, anything with some scenery to it would work.

We can handle up to moderate difficulty probably right now?

I didn't think to clarify - work takes me away from home fairly regularly, so I don't have as many weekends available as I'd like, hence my weather comment.

Edit: Maybe we can do a little more than the "moderate" rating seeing as how "4.5 year olds are making the hike no problem" in the reviews. Ha.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far everyone. Herman's Gulch/Lake looks great. I think that may be in the lead for this weekend.

Is Mt Sniktau doable for a couple of beginners?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Thanks for the ideas so far everyone. Herman's Gulch/Lake looks great. I think that may be in the lead for this weekend.

Is Mt Sniktau doable for a couple of beginners?
Yup. There's nothing technical about the hike up Mt. Sniktau. You can see a good portion of the trail from the summit of Loveland Pass. It's rated as an intermediate because you gain roughly 1,000ft in elevation over the first half-mile or so.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
How about bagging your first 14er? Mt. Bierstad at the top of Guanella Pass is not hard. Just remember to start easy in the day as we get afternoon thunderstorms.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
How about bagging your first 14er? Mt. Bierstad at the top of Guanella Pass is not hard. Just remember to start easy in the day as we get afternoon thunderstorms.
Yeah, but I think we are going to work our way up to it. My wife didn't feel so well after getting to the top of Pikes Peak, and was kind of "off" feeling for a day or two. She did well at 10,800 last time out though. Def want to work up to the higher peaks and 14ers.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Yeah, but I think we are going to work our way up to it. My wife didn't feel so well after getting to the top of Pikes Peak, and was kind of "off" feeling for a day or two. She did well at 10,800 last time out though. Def want to work up to the higher peaks and 14ers.
I took my two oldest kiddos (13 & 9) up to Sniktau today and was reminded of how woefully out of shape I am. The initial pitch from the summit of Loveland Pass to the ridge between Grizzly and Sniktau wiped all 3 of us out. We hiked to the false summit and called it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver