Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am relocating to Denver soon, and may be working at UCH in Aurora. My preferred neighborhoods to live in are Cheesman Park, Washington Park/W.Wash Park, Platte Park, Park Hill and Belcaro. I do not prefer to live further east than that.

My concern is the commute. On Google maps it appears like a 20-30 minute commute (driving), even "in current traffic". How close to reality is this? I've heard from a former Denver resident and UCH employee that it can take up to an hour to get to and from UCH if living in Wash park.

I also would like to explore the possibility of bike commuting as 7.5-8 miles one way is reasonable for me. The weather will prevent bike commuting year round of course, but is it relatively feasible or is the bike commute tougher than it seems on paper?

Thanks for any inside information. Again, I'm seeking information on the average car commute time and possibility insight on bike commuting from the more central neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:51 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
Try for Cheesman Park, Park Hill, or City Park. 13/14th, 17th, and Colfax provide simple/easy drives between those neighborhoods and UCH.

Wash Park/Platte Park necessitates traversing around Cherry Creek area, which has many congestion points. (along Colorado between Alameda and Colfax and the mall area in general). While not much further mileage wise they'll add minutes given the usual backups.

Bike commuting is a breeze on that route; very flat, wide streets and nice neighborhoods. Google Maps will show bike routes - they're along 7th, Montview or 23rd (I believe). If the weather gets bad late afternoons you can grab the #15 Limited back towards downtown. Or, just wait 40 minutes and most showers pass and it's soon again dry.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
If I worked there, I would be targeting Park Hill. I live in Wash Park and there is absolutely no good way to get northeast in traffic.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:55 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Skydog mispoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If I worked there, I would be targeting Park Hill. I live in Wash Park and there is absolutely no good way to get northeast in traffic.
Wrong!
The Bell 206L4
is the perfect answer for "people with money"
Why does everyone ignore this great mode of transportation?

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wrong!
The Bell 206L4
is the perfect answer for "people with money"
Why does everyone ignore this great mode of transportation?
Will check with the zoning depart about placing a helipad on my rooftop immediately.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiegirl2004 View Post
Hi,

I am relocating to Denver soon, and may be working at UCH in Aurora. My preferred neighborhoods to live in are Cheesman Park, Washington Park/W.Wash Park, Platte Park, Park Hill and Belcaro. I do not prefer to live further east than that.

My concern is the commute. On Google maps it appears like a 20-30 minute commute (driving), even "in current traffic". How close to reality is this? I've heard from a former Denver resident and UCH employee that it can take up to an hour to get to and from UCH if living in Wash park.

I also would like to explore the possibility of bike commuting as 7.5-8 miles one way is reasonable for me. The weather will prevent bike commuting year round of course, but is it relatively feasible or is the bike commute tougher than it seems on paper?

Thanks for any inside information. Again, I'm seeking information on the average car commute time and possibility insight on bike commuting from the more central neighborhoods.
You will be able to ride your bike for parts of every month of the year. If you live here long enough, you will also see snow in every month of the year except June and July.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 PM

112 posts, read 168,142 times
I live less than a mile southwest of DU and work at the UCH campus. If I leave by 6:45am, I can be at my desk in under 30 minutes, and that's dealing with the construction on 225 that's currently in progress. My route is Yale east to 25 south, 225 north to Colfax.

Coming home, I try to be out the door by 4:30pm and it's about the same time coming back. Granted, there are days where accidents or weather causes the travel time to increase exponentially but the commute generally isn't that bad.

Without taking 225, there are a number of side streets that can get you there and it's a matter of jumping on whatever's in the best shape that day. 11th/14th/17th avenues have been good alternatives to Colfax for me.

There will be light rail out there in a few years (2016, I think). Not sure if you're looking to buy or rent right now.

Park Hill and Cheesman Park are good bets. I wouldn't want to live too much further west of where I'm at now (Downing), though I work with people who come from as far away as Lakewood, Parker, and Ken Caryl. It's all about when you're on the road.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You will be able to ride your bike for parts of every month of the year. If you live here long enough, you will also see snow in every month of the year except June and July.
It has snowed in June (although very rarely) in Denver, but never in July or August.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/bou/?n=snowstat

Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It has snowed in June in Denver, but never in July or August.

Denvers Winter/Cold Season Statistics
You're right. I knew what I wanted to say, but said it wrong. I have lived here long enough to see June snow twice, also several September snows.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

618 posts, read 1,365,672 times
It really depends on when you need to make your commute - during rush hour, I wouldn't want to make the drive from UCH all the way to Wash Park/Platt Park. Park Hill would make life easy for you. You may want to also consider Montclair, Hilltop, and Congress Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver