Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 16,507 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

I am originally from MI but moved out to San Diego three years ago, but now that I had my "fill" of the California experience I know that this is not a place I want to live forever. I do have a brother and niece out here but that is my only family. With that said, I might as well start thinking of moving now before more time passes.

My parents and sisters do live in Parker and have been there for 4 years after my step dad had to relocate from work - with the awful MI economy!

Anyway, I am really debating quitting my job and moving in with my folks in Parker until I can find work. I have visited a couple times but don't know too much about the area. For a single guy in his early 30's, what area would I enjoy living? Are there nice areas between Parker and Downtown Dever that I would enjoy?

I love golf, hunting, going to bars, resteraunts and meeting new people. I definitely would want an apartment by a fairly vibrant scene. I certainly do NOT want to live in suberbia as a single guy.

The prospect of being close to family again is why I'm considering this move. And my hobbies and interests seem to better fit CO than San Diego, as I don't surf and lounge my life away at the beach.

Please feel free to give me any advice or opinions that will help me! Thank you!

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 AM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Do it

Save up some money.
Move.
Get a job downtown if you can.
Live near your downtown job.

The worst that can happen is that you are part of the "20% of the population won't be able to tolerate the thin air." See //www.city-data.com/forum/31076749-post37.html

Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Living in the city is your best bet for being single. It also has it's share of annoyances - the city of Denver has turned into parking-ticket-Nazi-central. But also consider the Lone Tree area right by the lightrail - many professional singles and not far from your family in Parker.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 PM

216 posts, read 438,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Save up some money.
Move.
Get a job downtown if you can.
Live near your downtown job.

The worst that can happen is that you are part of the "20% of the population won't be able to tolerate the thin air." See //www.city-data.com/forum/31076749-post37.html
That statistic comes out of nowhere. Where is the evidence of this 20% of the population who can't live in Denver? The person who wrote that post only stayed in Denver for a week. It may take longer than that to acclimate. I wondered about the OP in that thread - did he/she have pre-existing health conditions? Obesity? Reduced lung function from smoking?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCity View Post
That statistic comes out of nowhere. Where is the evidence of this 20% of the population who can't live in Denver? The person who wrote that post only stayed in Denver for a week. It may take longer than that to acclimate. I wondered about the OP in that thread - did he/she have pre-existing health conditions? Obesity? Reduced lung function from smoking?
Dave was making a joke.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
... Denver has turned into parking-ticket-Nazi-central...
Godwin's Law wins. Again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
live in Commerce City just north of town, because of the cheap little houses you can buy.
And, no Nazis in Commerce City.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

459 posts, read 807,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Godwin's Law wins. Again.

And, no Nazis in Commerce City.
Thatz reich coming from the self proklamed grammer nazi. Census on this forum is it's unpossible to park downtown cuz reading signs is two hard and akneething hard is do to Nazis, duh!

OP, Assuming your industry has jobs in Denver you will be fine (IE you are not a marine biologist). Parker is not at all what you are looking for in terms of vibrancy, but is close enough to Denver to get a job and then move on after you have found one.

Almost every thread here says get a job first before moving, but that parental support structure makes all the difference in the world. If you are going to be staying with relatives for a while I would recommend checking out as many areas of town as you can in person until you are ready to move out. Opinions on this forum about particular areas are influenced by a persons taste so if you can thoroughly look around before renting/owning I would put a lot more stock in that.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 PM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
Golfing and hunting, huh? I come from a mountain bike/hiking type background and I don't know any hunters and only a few golfers. Don't take this wrong, but depending on how much you love this hunting thing there might be better towns to move to than Denver.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
Golfing and hunting, huh? I come from a mountain bike/hiking type background and I don't know any hunters and only a few golfers. Don't take this wrong, but depending on how much you love this hunting thing there might be better towns to move to than Denver.
Mountain biking/hiking is code for I live in the city and I want to visit nature on the weekend. Hunting and camping is code for I tolerate the city, but I love to go away for several days at a time and I want to interact with nature.

If you don't hunt or golf, then the chances of you hanging around with people who golf and hunt are pretty remote. I can assure you that there are many hunters (and golfers) in the metro area. It explains why 8,000 people showed up for the grand opening of the two Cabella's stores earlier this month. It was the company's largest ever grand opening.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:23 PM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Mountain biking/hiking is code for I live in the city and I want to visit nature on the weekend. Hunting and camping is code for I tolerate the city, but I love to go away for several days at a time and I want to interact with nature.

If you don't hunt or golf, then the chances of you hanging around with people who golf and hunt are pretty remote. I can assure you that there are many hunters (and golfers) in the metro area. It explains why 8,000 people showed up for the grand opening of the two Cabella's stores earlier this month. It was the company's largest ever grand opening.
My point exactly. Is living in downtown Denver right for a guy who loves hunting? Golfing and hunting are sort of diametrically opposed activities doncha think? Idaho Springs: lots of hunters. Golfers? Well...

8000 showing up at a Cabellas opening doesn't mean anything.

Hunting is "interacting with nature"? Never heard that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver