Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:35 PM

98 posts, read 349,940 times

Advertisements

Earlier I was browsing through a general thread about moving. A few people made statements about some cities being unfriendly to outsiders. This had never occured to me. Being in Vegas everyone here is from somewhere else (5000+ people move here a month) so I've never seen that kind of mentality. What I want to know, from both natives and recent transplants, is the Denver area like that at all?

On a side note anyone move from Vegas to Denver? Tips?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:39 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
I'm from Denver but I've visited Las Vegas over 15 times (all on road trips)... does that count? I'd say Denver is a better city to live in, and Vegas is fun to visit every so often. The drive on I-70 and I-15 between Vegas and Denver is one of the most scenic stretches of interstate highway in the nation. I think pretty much everybody who lives in Denver is friendly to outsiders. A lot of people will talk about how they think the population growth should stop, but I've never heard of anyone personally getting in somebody's face in real life because he or she is new there. You will come across the occasional bitter old foggie who laments the way life used to be back in the ol' days-- just ignore them.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryville View Post
Earlier I was browsing through a general thread about moving. A few people made statements about some cities being unfriendly to outsiders. This had never occured to me. Being in Vegas everyone here is from somewhere else (5000+ people move here a month) so I've never seen that kind of mentality. What I want to know, from both natives and recent transplants, is the Denver area like that at all?

On a side note anyone move from Vegas to Denver? Tips?

Thanks!
It seems to me, the anti-outsider thing comes and goes here. I agree with vegaspilgrim.

Some eastern cities are really bad for outsiders b/c so many people have lived there all their lives, along with the past six generations of their families. They have no need for any other friends. I think I prefer Denver's attitude than that of some other places I have lived.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:25 AM

98 posts, read 349,940 times
[quote=vegaspilgrim;2002533]I'm from Denver but I've visited Las Vegas over 15 times (all on road trips)... does that count? I'd say Denver is a better city to live in, and Vegas is fun to visit every so often.

Thank you both for your input! Vegaspilgrim, I agree Vegas is nice place to visit but no place to live.

I have made that drive between here and Denver before and I remember how beautiful it was. Can't wait to make it a one way trip.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:34 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,334 times
many people are from elsewhere in denver, too. but, it seems people here are still rather "stand offish", certainly relative to most eastern american cities' people, and even relative to what i've seen in people from the west coast to some extent...though i've heard LA described in part as there being an "invisible line between people" so lots of smiles without actual friendship. (something that can happen in cities, but more so in some than others due in part to regional culture.) there can be a bit of that in denver (and there are some LA transplants around, among others, so some of this probably rubs off a little at least). there's also a relatively high male to female ratio (around 1.2:1 in some age groups - 25-35, e.g. - which is high relative to most of the US, certainly for a metro it's size) in the denver metro, so that probably affects some of the dynamics between people (as might the removal from international borders and coasts, the history of the place, a more suburban way than many places, etc etc). it can be relatively "reserved" or sort of "look like and keep up with the joneses" around denver. "in with the in crowd" sorts of things sometimes; whereas in some places "unusual" (look, opinion, where you're from, etc.) can be a point of interest, around here it can be more of something to avoid in ways, for example. a bit more "clique-ish", maybe, sometimes. may have a bit to do with where most people that come and stay come here from - either rocky mountain west, texas, suburban america, some from CA, many from midwestern US (if not mexico - but these groups don't mix a ton). that's not a bad thing in my opinion, but there can be regional cultural differences that show through.

Last edited by hello-world; 11-16-2007 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 09:33 AM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
I think it really depends on where you live. I live in a neighborhood (Highlands) that is still gentrifying so for me that means the people are very friendly. Everytime I take my dog to the park I meet a new, very nice, person who just moved from California or New York. It is extremely easy to strike a conversation with a stranger, but I am speaking of in lodo and just west of Lodo. I think Denver is a very friendly place and I'm from the midwest originally. I think also the people here are generally very happy so that helps a lot too!!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:41 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenfromdenver View Post
I think it really depends on where you live. I live in a neighborhood (Highlands) that is still gentrifying so for me that means the people are very friendly. Everytime I take my dog to the park I meet a new, very nice, person who just moved from California or New York. It is extremely easy to strike a conversation with a stranger, but I am speaking of in lodo and just west of Lodo. I think Denver is a very friendly place and I'm from the midwest originally. I think also the people here are generally very happy so that helps a lot too!!
i can appreciate how some might find it "friendly" in denver. it also might have a bit to do with what you seem like to people, maybe a bit more so than in some other places (maybe a bit of the "surface appearance" or "gender" affect??). i have also noticed that people i meet from NY (or other northeastern places) are often new-ish to denver - i meet few from NY (or boston, etc.) that have moved and stayed for a long time, or if they've stayed, they've found other northeasterners to spend their time with it seems. re the "happy", i do find that people tend to try more to "appear happy" and "be happy" here (more of an emphasis on that here than in some other places, probably especially northeastern cities where the emphasis might be more on other things than "projecting smiley-ness or 'it's all good'-ness").

Last edited by hello-world; 11-16-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM

68 posts, read 362,042 times
Default A Native Coloradoans POV.

Coloradoans are known for having a beef with two states- well, maybe three. Californians, because they move to Colorado in herds, fleeing all the problems they faced back in CA., drove all the prices up on Real Estate etc... they also seem to complain incessantly about all the things that they miss or feel we don't have (T.J.'s, IKEA etc...), and snow ( how they didn't know it snows here is beyond me). Plus, traffic got worse and driving techniques took a dive when they got here. Texans have long been an enemy, because they inundate the area during ski season and make lift lines long and there is a general dislike of their over-the-top ski apparel; the fuzzy boots and matchy-matchy outfits and cowboy hats have got to go. We are also not keen on Nebraskan's because the University Of Nebraska is our born rival in football etc...but, all this angst is held in check. I have never known of anyone doing anything to anyone from either of these areas. We're just complaining - I guess we all need to complain about something. About Coloradoans not being friendly or being friendly- it is subjective. Denver is a highly transient area and most of the people here are from elsewhere- it is hard to even meet a native. When people meet me they rub my head or belly for luck; we are that rare. Just be diligent to join groups that share interests you have, make the first gesture of kindness if you have to- they will respond in kind. Coloradoans mostly have a live-and-let-live attitude and feel it is rude to overly voice their opinions or get in your face. We are open to your lifestyle- just don't question ours.

Now about T.J.'s and IKEA-- I am with you guys 100%. I have even written to both and begged them to come here. They say that the-hang up is an absence of distribution centers in the area. Write in to them and beg them like I did and also look around you and see all that you have gained by moving here. Colorado is gorgeous and the living is relatively easy. Before, Texans and Californians get mad at me I like both states and their people- so hold your fire!

Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
It's funny, this "native Coloradan" vs "outsider" thing. My kids are native Coloradans, born in Boulder, yet I have lived here longer than them. The youngest is just 20. But she is a "native", so has more cred with other natives. There are a lot of mixed families and mixed marriages here in CO.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,435 times
My family lives all over Colorado. We moved to Colorado from the east coast in 1971. We have a second generation that qualifies as "native" Coloradan but I think the tectonic social shift that Colorado along with the rest of country faces due to massive international immigration both legal and illegal renders this paradigm obsolete.

Denver has long had a reputation as notoriously unfriendly and grossly overrated. Colorado Springs is known to be even worse. Hoerver I would not apply this to the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver