Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,455 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering moving from Jacksonville, FL to somewhere in Colorado. I am moving there with my boyfriend and our two dogs. We are drawn to the outdoors lifestyle of Colorado and are also looking to escape the humidity. We love camping, hiking, biking, kayaking and snowboarding.

I was thinking Denver due to job opportunities, I'm 21 and will be looking to work in a upscale restaurant as I have been while in school for the past 3 years. My boyfriend will also be looking for a similar job. Are there many restaurants to work at in Denver???

We are planning a snowboarding trip in March...what areas should be look into?? I was also looking at Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. We don't need to be right down town because wer'e not really into a lot of nightlife but we also don't want to be in suburbia hell. (also i REALLY love older homes if that helps!)

Any information on the lifestyle, cost of living, and areas to live would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:52 AM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
Denver will give you lots of options for work. Downtown, Capitol Hill, Highland, Baker, Cherry Creek, and Uptown are all filled with restaurants. Where you live will depend on your budget. Most likely, you would be best served living on the west end of town (Highland or Berkeley). Colorado Springs and Fort Collins offer far fewer opportunities.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
The Denver metro area population is twice the size of Jacksonville. The downtown area is much better. There are definitely many restaurants.

There are lots of older, very cool neighborhoods near downtown. Your budget is going to drive where you live. How much are you looking to spend?

The cost of living calculators put Denver at roughly 10% more expensive than JVille.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM

my rent budget would be around a 1000 and probably not more than 1300.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
You'll have plenty of rental options in Capitol Hill within your budget and that neighborhood is well connected to most of Denver major restaurants.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
You'll have plenty of rental options in Capitol Hill within your budget and that neighborhood is well connected to most of Denver major restaurants.
True but two dogs may complicate this.

For your budget, you will not be able to be in a house anywhere close to downtown. Are you going to be alright in an apartment? What are the dog's breeds? No Pits allowed in Denver.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM

I have a basset hound and a jack russell so I don't think that will be a problem. I doubt they even weigh 60 pounds combined.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM

So far I've found some great places for reasonable prices around Capitol Hill! I will definitely be checking the area out when I visit. Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM

http://www.denvergov.org/denvermaps/...ghborhoods.pdf

Here is a map of neighborhoods. The main restaurant districts will be in CBD (central business district), Union Station, Cherry Creek, and Highland but there are some fantastic restaurants in other neighborhoods. Your budget is going to put you in Capitol Hill, Five Points, Whittier, and Cole. Some of those areas are a bit "transitional". If you find a good place in Cap Hill, that would be ideal. Look in Baker as well, but you might be priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver