Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 11,932 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I am looking to move from a small town in Iowa (about 11,000 ppl) to either Nashville or Denver. I plan on visiting both cities around the end of October if all works out. I want to go back to college next August and plan to be moved by the end of next July at the latest. I am use to hot and muggy weather and also use to lots of snow! I love mountains and great scenery, how do the mountains in Colorado compare to those in Tennessee(other than just being bigger)? How is life for a college student in Denver? Also how many months a year can you play golf? Thanks for reading this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
These are very different cities. Nashville has has pretty, green, wet, hilly terrain. There are no mountains. Denver has large mountains an hour to two hours away, and brown, dry foothills nearby. You should visit and see which you like.

Last edited by JBPisgah; 09-23-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 127,583 times
I am currently leaving Nashville for Denver. Nashville definitely has the hot and muggy weather, I surely won’t be missing that. Though it’s not quite as humid as SC, where I’m originally from, but it's only just now starting to cool down and has been hot since May-June. Winters don’t always get snow, and sometimes it may be just an inch or two. Nashville is mainly hilly, you don’t really have the mountains that close. There are some decent "large hills" about 2 hours east, but they don’t really develop until 3-4 hours east in the Smokies. These of course won’t be anything compared to the Rockies, but the Smokies are still great to hike and camp in. I'm not in Denver yet, but the main difference would be all the foliage in TN. It surely is a sight when the leaves start to change, as opposed to the large rocky peaks in CO.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 AM

83 posts, read 150,372 times
Honestly, I would chose the city where you feel the best fit is for college. Have you specifically identified a school or schools that just happen to be in each city?

The two places are very, very different from a climate, topography standpoint. Nashville is warm to hot and humid in the summer while Denver is often just hot. The air temperature is often higher in Denver but with very low humidity, oftentimes as low or lower than the true desert SW. Nashville has a more distinct 4 season climate with more gradual transitions. Spring and fall can be quite short in Denver, particularly spring as a windy, sometimes snowy transition to summer. Denver can get a fair amount of snow but it melts quickly as it does in Nashville. Also, the most snow in Denver comes in either October/November or March/April which is opposite of Nashville which gets snow typically in Jan/Feb if at all.

The immediate area around Nashville is more scenic IMHO than Denver. Denver is very dry and brown most of the year. Nashville has the Cumberland River, creeks, trees, and other closeby scenic areas such as the start of the Natchez Trace, state parks, etc. Although, snowcapped peaks on a clear day after a storm in Colorado are very nice especially when viewed from a distance. Denver, like Nashville, has some very scenic areas but the best ones are 2+ hours drive from the city minimum. The mountains in Colorado are much larger, more rugged, much drier, with the only deciduous trees being the aspen which quickly change color in late September/early October. It is pretty but brief.

The true Colorado golf season is May - October but there are people who like to play on warm January days on dead grass. Nashville is more like Marchish - October/early November I would say. Playing in the summer can be hot in both places. Playing the high country courses in Colorado are nice in the summer.

But you are supposed to be a broke, studying hard college student, right!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: