Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 PM

245 posts, read 708,576 times

Advertisements

I had posted this link in the past - In my mind, this is what a BRT should look like :

(The video is about 7 minutes long, but very interesting to watch)

BRT

EDIT:
and here is another 14 minute YouTube video:

Best BRT systems

Last edited by AceShopper; 09-27-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 02:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceShopper View Post
I had posted this link in the past - In my mind, this is what a BRT should look like :

BRT

EDIT:
and here is another 14 minute YouTube video:

Best BRT systems
Interesting videos. I had never seen that type of system. It looks really good. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:53 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Today, I spend time with RTD and the contractor on site in the rain and cold at constructions sites for fastracks... Why? because I am involved.

All your opinions, criticisms are only important for yourself because unless you made these opinions known through the whole process, over the years--it means nothing.

There were many meeting, study groups and analysis for all the lines and projects. You all have had opportunities to get involved and state your ideas. The DEIS (Draft Einvironmental Impact Statement) was published and there was an open period for comments--comments that are viewed and preserved and acted on if they are valid. The DEIS is then reformulated with ideas from many people and the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) is then published. I was involved with all stages of this process. It is then presented to the Federal Government for approval and Record of Decision is announced. All these documents are opened and on the web for review. Construction then begins and input is still taken from stakeholders as constructions issues occur and obstacles encountered. The RTD and the Contractor continually updates the community on progress. Committees are formed to continue refining the implementation as we get to specific stages.

What will be built will be built. Complaining, arguing, criticizing with no knowledge of the real facts; making up stories and events; bringing up alternative interpretations of what constitutes a BRT system means nothing to nobody unless you were involved and made your ideas known at the proper point of the process.

So, I will continue with many others to make fastracks work and to make the system serve the best we can with what we have. I deal with reality of the situation and I believe in getting involved and getting on with the job--not sitting there and posting and posting and posting that will go nowhere but to others who post and post and post.

Livecontent

Old 09-27-2013, 04:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,076 times
Livecontent, I appreciate your insight and respect your opinion. With that said, I take part when I can, when I see the opportunity, but honestly, I've never heard of these publications. They are not readily available to the public, they are not advertised. While they might all be ready to view on the web, there is a lot of stuff on the web, doesn't mean we all see it there.

I love this forum for what it is, a forum. Whether we see complaints, complaining, whining, groaning, raving.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverLawGal View Post
Livecontent, I appreciate your insight and respect your opinion. With that said, I take part when I can, when I see the opportunity, but honestly, I've never heard of these publications. They are not readily available to the public, they are not advertised. While they might all be ready to view on the web, there is a lot of stuff on the web, doesn't mean we all see it there.

I love this forum for what it is, a forum. Whether we see complaints, complaining, whining, groaning, raving.
This wikepedia link will explain the EIS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ...pact_statement

All these documents are available readily on the web. This is the main Fastracks Website
FasTracks Home You will see many links and links for documents and reports. Every line and every project has to have, by law, these specific documents.

For example if you go to the Gold Line Gold Line Home you will find a link to resources
Resources You will then find the links to the EIS process and documents
EIS Process and Documents

Going to any of the other line or project links and you will find the documents for that part of fastracks.

Also, these documents are public record and will appear on Federal Websites such as the Department of Transportation.

If you went to any meetings and signed as an attendee, you would have have an opportunity to register contact information. You will then receive information for the links as the documents are formulated and a request for your comments. I was involved with many of the transit projects over many decades, such as TREX which build the Southeast line along I-25. The process was similar.

I certainly did not fully understand all these procedures and documents when I was first involved in public transit. It takes time and patience to find and understand and to fully engage professional in this field and to get involved. I am not a expert in public transit. It was not my career. Over time, it just became an interest. More and more meeting let to invitations to committees and study groups which get you involved with more and more people in this industry. I do not work for RTD. I do not always agree and I do let them know my opinions and views, sometimes vociferously--I have that reputation. However, that is part of the decision process to have opposing views and not just "yes" people. From my experience, RTD and DRCOG invites these differences so as to get a broader view and alternative ideas--but you have to follow the process.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-27-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 05:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
A dedicated bus lane is one of the required components of BRT. The bus lane is the one current universally accepted necessary component of BRT. A year or two ago the federal government said for a BRT project to get funding at a minimum had to have a peak dedicated bus lane.
I agree RTD is clueless as to what BRT is, or more likely they are just lying and trying to convince people that this plan old bus service is going be something special. Here are five requirements for BRT. RTD's plan fails on probably all five points.

1. Busses should operate for a significant part of their journey within a fully dedicated right of way (busway), in order to avoid traffic congestion.
2. A busway alignment in the center of the road (to avoid typical curb-side delays)
3. Stations with off-board fare collection (to reduce boarding and alighting delay related to paying the driver)
4. Station platforms level with the bus floor (to reduce boarding and alighting delay caused by steps)
5. Bus priority at intersections (to avoid intersection signal delay)

Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceShopper View Post

BRT

"As an American, I mean I don't know much about Colombia. I think of it as a developing nation or a third world country. This bus system was so much more advanced and high tech, then anything I have ever seen in the US."

That is just sad. Our transportation and technology is not even as good as a third world country, and most Americans can't even see how far behind we are.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
The DT circulator is meant to take the congestion off the Mall Shuttle during rush hour--that is the defined purpose. The Mail Shuttle is still the prime free transit for movement across downtown.

As far a subway under the 16th Street Mall---all nonsense! Never was in any detailed finished plans or DEIS or EIS. Saying that Fastracks took that concept away to satisfy developers--all BS! Remember there were many more projects done before Fastracks was approved in 2004, including a failed voter initiative, Guide the Ride in 1997, which did not include any subway--it is all a fantasy.

The poster, who piped this up from a dream, was in diapers in his stroller at the times of these planning conferences for the 16th Street Mall. I was there as an adult and I cannot remember anything as such for the Transitway--the original name. He is invited to show me these plans.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM

KaaBoom,

Still Wrong! It is only a reference that says:

"The CBD network was defined to utilize either a subway under California and 16th Streets or at an at-grade alternative"

No subway was planned or further defined or built. The at-grade alternative was planned, defined and built. The subway idea never made it to any final plan for any line and no voter initiatives.

Preliminary documents always have reference to ideas that are not pursued and this was not pursued--the word was "either" and the at-grade was done. You need to learn to read and understand public documents. This document is after the 16th Mall was completed and done. It is just a idea of a short subway up and down California and under 16th Street as it crossed the new 16th Street Mall which opened in 1982.

It is not a document describing a subway under the Mall as you first indicated. A short test line was done--the preliminary part of what we now at the southwest line after the defeat of Guide the Ride voter initiative; it would have been that line having this mentioned subway and it did not.

As I said, you need to produce to me a final plan of a subway under the 16th Street Mall.

You spend your time attacking and criticizing RTD and you do not live here--what a waste of time and a life. That as opposed to me who is actively involved and working with what exist and will exist. So, keep on pushing and wasting your young life doing frantic research for nothing. I will just continue with my purpose filled life.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-27-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
The North Metro Rail line was going to be so far off in the future as to not be considered real. But it looks like things have changed and it is a 'go' for the entire line being built out starting in 2014.

http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/media/u...se_9-24-13.pdf

“In January, RTD identified funding to complete construction of the line to 72nd Avenue. These new proposals potentially offer more progress toward the build-out of the entire North Metro Rail Line and that’s exciting,” said North Metro Rail Line Project Manager Jim Starling
“We are moving one step closer to completing the FasTracks program. The next step is identifying which proposal shows us the best value and fit for RTD’s future.” The North Metro project is an 18.5-mile commuter rail line from Denver Union Station through Denver, Adams County, Commerce City, Thornton and Northglenn, ending at Highway 7. The design and construction of the rail line is scheduled to begin in 2014.
Just be sure that they don't change the name to MetroNorth. Inside joke for all on the New Haven line this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver