Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:29 PM

22 posts, read 60,407 times

Advertisements

I'm not committed to that style, no, I just wanted to make the point that I'd like a house with a bit of personality. McMansions on tiny lots are fine for some people, but they're not for me. I'd be happy with an energy efficient ranch house, but it needs to have some style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Then 1920s and 1930s bungalows are where it's at in Denver.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhiker View Post
I'm not committed to that style, no, I just wanted to make the point that I'd like a house with a bit of personality. McMansions on tiny lots are fine for some people, but they're not for me. I'd be happy with an energy efficient ranch house, but it needs to have some style.
I meant no disapproval of your choice. I was just pointing out some of the problems with those with the low shallow roof style. In fact, I agree with much that you are seeking. There are many older ranch homes style all over the area with individual style. They tend to sit on larger lots, relative to the home size. I know this area well and I like many of the older developments in Wheat Ridge, Lakewood and Arvada.

I have found many interesting neighborhoods in these older areas that are well treed and well maintained. They are off the beaten tracks and many are not readily known to newcomer. In addition, there are extensive large parks that are little known to many like O'Kane Park on West 1st. in Lakewood. In addition, these older close-in areas have good established public transit vs. newer farther out developments where transit has not yet reached and may never.

I would suggest getting a map of the public parks of the individual municipalities off their website. Look for the older parks and you will find the homes you are seeking. I would suggest, for example in Arvada, to look at North of Ralston Creek, the homes north of Brooks Drive. There are extensive parks along this creek and there is a new park, now being developed at Garrison. The homes north have the style you are seeking.

In Wheat Ridge, be sure to look at the homes near and around the Clear Creek Greenbelt which is between West 38th and West 44th. In that area and nearby off West 38th to West 20th in Lakewood, you will find numerous older well maintain homes. Be sure to include the areas along Youngfield, known as Applewood, where Golden, Wheat Ridge and Lakewood meet.

I think a ranch home is much more energy efficient in this area than a multiple story home--easy to cool and easy to heat, especially with a full basement.

I live in a small ranch home. For me, it is also advantages because I am a disabled senior and minimal steps is best.

One issue that is a big difference in these older developments is that there are many that do not have community association fees. I know that some would see that as a disadvantage because they want control over their neighbors and want to segregate themselves from others but some of these homeowner fees have become so excessive ridiculous costs to maintain private recreational areas. I think that is not necessary as the whole area has extensive parks and recreational facilities.

Livecontent

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,230 times
I found a cool area of mid-century mod houses last year that I'd never heard of. It's the Green Mountain area of Lakewood, specifically at the top of Alameda west of Mississippi. Turn right on Foothill Drive. It backs up to the Green Mountain Park and some of the houses have the most spectacular views of downtown I've seen from anywhere. I've seen houses start around $230K up to a million at the very top of the hill. Here's one of the coolest ones:
Lakewood Haertling | The Denver Eye

Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There have been some good suggestions on this thread. I want to add that Historic Denver has a link for this issue
Historic Denver | Programs | Post-War Patternbook

Arvada has many of these homes and has had discussons:
Mid Century Modern ARVADA Workshop Allendale - Alta Vista | Modern Colorado Homes

I want to throw this out for discussion. I see many of these types of homes that have a lower roof line with minimal attic space. They may have been stylish in the past but are these types of homes good for today's world with concern for energy efficient?

Most heat loss is through the roof. There is no room to add insulation and there is no dead airspace possible between insulation and the roof. These homes lack sufficient insulation, as built, to modern codes. It is impossible to improve on the roof insulation unless the roof in raised. In driving around these homes, in the area of Wheat Ridge and Arvada, I have seen some homes do just that-raise the roof. However, then the style is gone. Should government give incentives to homeowners to preserve this homes which work against the need of energy efficiency, just to preserve a style of the past? Do you really want to live in a house that will cost you more to heat and cool?

Livcontent
The insulation issue is a good one to bring up. Most older homes are not insulated to present-day code, and many have no room to add insulation. This is a problem nationwide. The technology just wasn't there.

When we moved to Denver in 1980 I was astounded at how many homes built as recently as the early 1970s did not have storm windows. My parents in the Pittsburgh area owned two older homes, both built about 1920 that had retrofitted storms, the kind you put on in the fall and take off in the spring. My DH's parents in Omaha had same. In Champaign, Il, every place I ever lived, and I lived there for most of the decade of the 1970s, had storm windows. The first home we owned here, built in 1978, did have combination storm windows.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Livecontent, thank you very much for your detailed reply, I'll check some of the areas you mentioned.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 PM

I found a house in my price range that looks pretty cool. It's in Wheat Ridge on the 6700 block of W 32nd. What's that area like in terms of safety and crime?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Fixing link.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhiker View Post
I found a house in my price range that looks pretty cool. It's in Wheat Ridge on the 6700 block of W 32nd. What's that area like in terms of safety and crime?
I know this area well and often travel down it. It is good older safe neighborhood in Wheat Ridge.

Let me give you some history. North Denver is named affectionately by Denverites, even though it is the Northwest quadrant of the city. It is the area centered on West 38th and is the traditional Italian neighborhood of Denver.It has eventually attracted more Hispanic immigrants and now it is attracting new Immigrants from all over like Poland, the Baltic, etc. and more Italians. Like many other cities, many ethnic group residents expand over time into the suburbs, concentrically in a direct line. Denver ends at Sheridan. So that Wheat Ridge in this older area was the choice of the upward mobile Italian Americans. That is why from this house, you will find to the East, on West 32nd. The Sons of Italy Hall. Welcome to OSIA Denver Lodge #2075

It is an area of many older long term and native Colorado residents. Wheat Ridge was the only suburbs of Denver that saw a decline in population in the last census because of the aging population. However, the area is now being looked at and settled by younger professional who target it because North and West Denver is fast gentrifying and becoming a place to be in Denver. Living in Wheat Ridge is so close to all the exciting venues of these areas of Denver and close to Downtown. It also puts their children in the highly rated Jefferson County Schools.

If you drive west on West 32nd. past Wadsworth, you will come into the desirous area of Applewood as I mentioned in my last post. I would suggest taking Simms South from W. 32nd and you will be astounded by the view over the hills looking to Golden--and the homes are first rate. Simms also goes south in the great area of Union, near the Federal Center.

There are many parks around this area that are long established and safe as well as the best forested green belt along Clear Creek http://www.americantrails.org/nation...heatRg-CO.html I think Lutheran Hospital Campus on West 38th is the best hospital with a relaxing campus.

In many recent planning meetings, I had discussions with the city planners of Wheat Ridge and they are excited by the potential of the their city that is now attracting new people. The public transportation is excellent with many bus routes that run through Denver and many routes going North and South.

I highly recommend this area. You will find some many unique local own restaurants. Some of my favorites are these Italian spots Dolce Sicilia Bakery :: 3210 Wadsworth Blvd., Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 and Vincenza's Italian Restaurant and Bakery and this really authentic Polish Deli Sawa
Sausage

I can go on and on about Wheat Ridge. I really enjoy this City and I have often attended their fabulously popular Carnation Festival--Wheat Ridge was once a major carnation growing region.
http://thecarnationfestival.com/

I have been in this area for 35 years. I am a Sicilian American from New York. I have lived in Arvada for about 33 years. Wheat Ridge was one of my choices to live as I wanted to live in the older suburban areas with developed neighborhoods of long established Coloradans. I like the western suburbs of Denver; the old mixed with new--I like the patina of time that gives these areas an established identity of buildings and people.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-05-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-06-2013, 10:32 AM

This story in The Denver Post, today, indicates much of what I have said about Wheat Ridge in my previous post.
For Wheat Ridge, 38th Avenue a corridor of change - The Denver Post

Livecontent

Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM

103 posts, read 291,974 times
I agree with what Livecontent said. Wheat Ridge is seeing a big growth in new people moving into the area. Wheat Ridge is benefiting from the growth of Highlands and some of those neighborhoods surrounding it (Sloans Lake, Berkeley, etc). Homes in WR are still somewhat affordable but close to many amenities with a quick trip on 6th ave or I-70. Home prices are increasing because of this growth and buying a home in this area IMO is a good investment. There are also plenty of mid-century homes that still need work and some that have been re-done. The schools are also seeing an uptick in scores because people with kids are moving back into the neighborhood and getting involved. And, as livecontent linked to there is a big push to develop 38th which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver