Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,244 times

Advertisements

Wow I can't believe these are descriptions of Colorado and Denver. It sounds almost like people were describing Seattle. I have found people here to be very friendly and easy to be friends with. Most Denver residents are from out of state anyway, which explains their willingness and desire to make friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:57 PM

450 posts, read 507,416 times
We had no trouble making friends when we moved to Westminster from Orlando. Our kid was a HS athlete, so meeting all the other team parents made it easy. Plus our neighbors were super friendly. All you had to do is crack open a beer and go sit out in the front yard on a Friday afternoon, and the next thing ya know, everybody was out there!

On the really snowy days, the shoveling wasn't done until everyone was dug out. We watched each others kids and pets, met up at restaurants once in a while, held block parties, several of our neighbors borrowed our sound system for their own family parties - were we "besties"? No. But still friends. We've since moved about about 45 minutes away from Westminster, but last Halloween we took our youngest down there to trick-or-treat. So much fun to see the old neighbors again!

It's a little more difficult where I live now because everyone has acreage that separates us more. We made an attempt at Christmas time by delivering home made cookies and candies to the neighbors we had never met. It was an easy way for us to introduce ourselves. Each and every one sent us very grateful thank you notes. I have a feeling things will be even better once winter is over!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
We had no trouble making friends when we moved to Westminster from Orlando. Our kid was a HS athlete, so meeting all the other team parents made it easy. Plus our neighbors were super friendly.

All you had to do is crack open a beer and go sit out in the front yard on a Friday afternoon, and the next thing ya know, everybody was out there!

On the really snowy days, the shoveling wasn't done until everyone was dug out. We watched each others kids and pets, met up at restaurants once in a while, held block parties, several of our neighbors borrowed our sound system for their own family parties - were we "besties"? No. But still friends.
All of this is very typical of Denver, people will chill out together here and there. I don't really call that friends, that's a passerby type thing.

Friends make time for each other, they go riding every weekend, see movies together, go on camping trips... you know... "real buds" type stuff. I cannot count the times that I have met a parent/colleague/neighbor where we both like to snowboard or mountain bike, exchange #s to ride ...only to never see it actually happen.

I haven't gotten used to that level of flake.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 PM

850 posts, read 795,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
All of this is very typical of Denver, people will chill out together here and there. I don't really call that friends, that's a passerby type thing.

Friends make time for each other, they go riding every weekend, see movies together, go on camping trips... you know... "real buds" type stuff. I cannot count the times that I have met a parent/colleague/neighbor where we both like to snowboard or mountain bike, exchange #s to ride ...only to never see it actually happen.

They must be from California.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Right?

Then I wonder why Mach and I complain about this very thing.

Signed,
The Californians.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:07 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
You paint a broad stroke with that statement. Exactly what do you mean by that? Californians are flakes? Nope, I don't think so. Tell us more how you dislike Californians because that is what I assume after reading your comment.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM

242 posts, read 412,933 times
What we have experienced over the 30 years we've lived here (resort town/in the mountains) is that folks simply come and go...and that makes it hard to have long term friends. We've certainly hung onto a few of them....but for the most part it's like school/your childhood neighborhood...folks hang...then scatter...and only a select few will truly remain in touch/be folks you can COUNT ON for years to come no matter how large the distance between may be.

Oddly...our best/long term friends are California flake transplants. LOL

Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Nope. This is not a California thing, yeah Californians will most likely be late (called Mexican Minutes)... but we will show up. Especially if it has something to do with "toys" like surfing or riding...if you don't show up you are a punk.

Here in CO, people just seem to think it is too hard to synch up with other people... everyone is in their own little world.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:57 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,348 times
Maybe you guys just aren't that much fun to be around. Ever consider that little nugget ladies and gentlemen? I have made better friends in CO personally than ever in NYC so I can't complain. I am also selective with regards to who I am friends with. Life is short, time is your most valuable asset - so why waste time on someone who just isn't a good fit for friendship?

Consider also that most people aren't really in the market for friends. They have their spouses and kids, full time jobs, and life chores that take up time. In their leisure they might have a good circle of friends that they meet with regularly and just don't have time for new ones.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Hmmm.... being married with children, I never hang out or go do things with anyone alone. I hang out with my spouse/children and do things with them, and we have couple friends who have kids and we'll all go do things together (eat out, go to a movie, go to the mountains, etc.), but is it really common for married men to go hang out alone with friends? Or married women? I wouldn't have the time to maintain a 1:1 friendship with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver