Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:53 AM

577 posts, read 1,475,891 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I live in Canada and I was able to secure a Software Engineer job with a company in Superior. The company is in progress of getting TN visa paperwork done and they have contracted a specialized immigration law company for that.

I was looking for apartments to rent in the area and I've got into Rocky Flats related topics quite often, while reading through people's review about certain apartment rental companies/complexes. Tried to read more on this subject, and browsed also through a web page like this:

Concerned Homeowner Raises Questions about Living Near Rocky Flats | Rocky Flats Nuclear Guardianship

I have also watched the 'Silent Circle' movie, plus a recorded video interview with Kristen Iversen, author of the book titled 'Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats' and who was giving a presentation on her book at one of the Denver's book stores.

I am effectively freaking out about the situation - how come the American people was able to do such dreadful thing to themselves, by contaminating their own land and getting into a situation which seems to have no room for remediation (i.e. Plutonium isotopes with a half-time of 24,000 years?).

Can anyone advise me what would be a wise thing to do? Could one assume that the situation has improved after the plant's closure in 1999 (after the FBI's raid)? Is the Government and EPA saying the truth when they state that the levels of the radiations are below the normal/accepted standards?

Can someone point me to pertinent sources of information on this matter? Info like cancer incidence rates, areas with higher soil/air concentrations etc.

My new workplace would be in Superior, somewhere near McCaslin Blvd & Rock Creek Parkway.
This company has also another office in Englewood. Would it be wiser to ask them for the other location (both teams had interviewed me and expressed their interest in me)? Or a few additional 20-30 miles distance from Rocky Flats former plant wouldn't make any difference in fact? Why Ms. Kristen Iversen decided to relocate to Memphis??

I haven't given my resignation with my current employer, here in Ontario, Canada. I have time until Monday Nov 4th to tell them. I was planning to come to Colorado only by myself as a 1st phase. And then, if the things turned out well, I would bring also my wife and the 2 children (aged 7 and 4). But I am suddenly freaking out, please help me with some wise advices. How can you all sleep well @ night considering what happened?

Is it a legitimate reason of concern and most of the people simply don't want to talk about (and hiding their heads in the sand), or is it overrated?

Your honest advice and help is very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Relax

You have read one side.
Now, read the other side.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Can you please provide me with some links making 'a case' about the other side?

Also, if you were to choose between Centennial/Englewood and Superior/Louiville, which one would you go for?
In terms of less risk and more urban/more walkable area. As I was mentioning, two teams are interested in me.
I'm not keen to commuting (don't drive/don't own a car for the moment).

Thank you.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post

Also, if you were to choose between Centennial/Englewood and Superior/Louiville, which one would you go for?
In terms of less risk and more urban/more walkable area. As I was mentioning, two teams are interested in me.

Thank you.
If you are looking for walkability, then choose Centennial/Englewood (I am assuming you would work either in the Denver Tech Center or Inverness). While both areas are similar in terms of walkability, Centennial/Englewood is definitely more urban.

Louisville (we pronounce the "s" here) is an older town with a small town downtown vibe and a nearby new urbanist subdivision. Without a car, access to downtown Denver is not easy.

The Denver Tech Center area is a collection of large business park and transit-oriented development. It is definitely more dense with high rise condos and apartments and light rail that runs to downtown.

Either way, I would recommend a car.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Thank you!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You have read one side.
Now, read the other side.
Agreed. A blog such as in the OP is an invitation to people who have an axe to grind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post

Thank you.
What is your issue with risk? The area has not been declared uninhabitable; there is no increased risk that I am aware of in living in Louisville or Superior. Louisville is quite walkable, not just in the downtown area, but most of the city. Only if you live in the area on top of South Boulder Rd hill would you find walking difficult to most city services, e.g. rec center, stores, etc. There is some inter-city bus service in Louisville as well, including from downtown up to the areas on top of the hill.

I would think you could Google "Rocky Flats" and get a lot of information. There has not been any manufacturing there for 24 years.
Here's a start:
Rocky Flats Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Moved some sentences around.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would think you could Google "Rocky Flats" and get a lot of information.
Here's a start:
Rocky Flats Plant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I would've thought you could provide more exact source of info. I've already read that article, along with many others (see the list below). And the wikipedia article doesn't seem to attribute any positive aspects to what happened. Also, there seems to be a lot of agitation here:
Talkenver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways, this is what I have already read so far - and nothing seems to shed a positive light:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioa...ky_Flats_Plant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_...ildlife_Refuge

Rocky Flats | Kristen Iversen

http://www.kristeniversen.com/wp-con...nation-map.jpg

Health Studies | Kristen Iversen

Welcome to the Geospatial Environmental Mapping System IMF map viewer

5-year EPA report: ftp://ftp.epa.gov/r8/temp/RockyFlats_3FYR-Jul2012.pdf

ROCKY FLATS PLANT (USDOE)

Why refuge should remain closed to public | Rocky Flats Nuclear Guardianship

http://www.rockyflatsnuclearguardian...ed-7-14-13.doc

Democracy and Public Health at Rocky Flats | Rocky Flats Nuclear Guardianship

http://www.rockyflatsnuclearguardian...ch-cleanup.pdf

Papers by LeRoy Moore, PhD | Rocky Flats Nuclear Guardianship

NIOSH Program Area - Radiation Dose Reconstruction - Rocky Flats Plant

ftp://ftp.epa.gov/r8/temp/RockyFlats_3FYR-Jul2012.pdf

Quote:
There has not been any manufacturing there for 24 years.
You gotta be kidding, right? The half-life of the Plutonioum isotope is 24,000 years. Any more recent measurements that woudl be done would basically indicate the same values as the ones from done during 80's or 90's - the radioactivity is basically the same.

Quote:
What is your issue with risk? The area has not been declared uninhabitable; there is no increased risk that I am aware of in living in Louisville or Superior.
Well, I am looking for several heath studies and air monitoring, and they don't seem to exist.
In lack of them, I can't infer anything viable - the Gov can say and hide whatever it wishes.

Quote:
Louisville is quite walkable, not just in the downtown area, but most of the city. Only if you live in the area on top of South Boulder Rd hill would you find walking difficult to most city services, e.g. rec center, stores, etc. There is some inter-city bus service in Louisville as well, including from downtown up to the areas on top of the hill.
Thanks a lot for the info on Louiville. Yeah, I'm still thinking about that area as a viable location - especially if I would plan to live somewhere in Boulder - it's strategically closer to Boulder.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM

I thought since you asked, I'd give you a start. People in this area (I live in Louisville) don't spend all day worrying about this issue. I'm telling you there is no manufacturing going on currently, and has not been for 24 years. It sounds like you've made up your mind, anyway.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM

No, please don't get into the wrong conclusions. I haven't made up my mind and still prospecting on what's the best decision for me to take. It's not about the manufacturing ceasing its operations, but rather about the long-term implications of what happened, on the local population's health. As a person who is prospecting a radically new place/country to settle to, I am analyzing many aspects - don't wish to get into a significantly increased risk cancers or have my little sons getting sick, or their future children sick/congenital malformations etc. That's why I'm worried. For people who were born there, and who already have a big family and relatives, thus having deep roots in Denver, for them it may be much simpler to evaluate the situation, I'm not sure.

Thank you.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 PM

^^I am not from Colorado, had no family here for the first 16 years we lived here, and even now, have only a few family members in-state.

Despite what you read in muckraking literature like Kirsten Iversen, there is no increase in cancer in the Rocky Flats area.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55819444,d.aWc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver