Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM

71 posts, read 87,708 times

Advertisements

hi all!
My family is relocating to Denver in the summer and I am really confused about the school system. If we live in the caphill area is it GUARANTEED my daughter will enroll at Morey middle for 8th then East high school? I'm really concerned as these are the only schools that seem to do well in the area. We are NOT looking to move to the suburbs...am I missing any other good schools not on the traditional educational research sites? Thanks in advance!!!
PS Anyone know how the girls cross country team does at East? My daughter is on a pretty good team now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 03:14 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
1. I know two families who recently sent their children to Morey and now the kids are at East. They are very satisfied. These are upper-middle class families who value education.

2. For both of these schools your child must live INSIDE the boundaries.
a. East - http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/451.pdf
b. Morey - http://media.dpsk12.org/boundarymaps/413.pdf

3. If you live inside the boundaries, you are guaranteed.
Once you find a house, be sure to double check with DPS about being inside before buying it.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
East XC is meh. I checked out the results of the girls XC team for a couple of meets where all the big players are and found that the girls team finished 32nd/45 teams at Arapahoe and 20th/22 teams at the Liberty Bell invitational.

Best teams usually are in/near the foothills or mountains. Monarch HS (Louisville) has won the last 3 state titles. Fort Collins and Fairview (Boulder) are usually in the mix as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Great to know about the boundaries and that families are happy with the schools . That eases my mind quite a bit, Thanks so much! Hmmm... My daughter currently runs for a highly ranked state team which she loves. Too bad East isn't that great. I'm assuming Louisville is pretty suburban? Is Fort Collins urban? We are headed to Denver on Friday, wonder if I should check it out?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
OP, I see that your family has been looking around all year at various cities to move to. Most of your questions are focused on the quality of the schools and the cross country team for your daughter. I'm just wondering what kind of work you and/or your husband do and if you have considered the job market in these diverse parts of the country.

Also, what will your rental budget be? I hope that you've been reading the threads here about the very tight and expensive rental market in Denver right now.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM

Jobs are no issue for us. Pharmacist/occupational therapist. We can move pretty much where we want. We live in a great little walkable village but both my husband and I grew up in an urban area ( Buffalo) and would like our daughter to experience urban living now that she is pushing into her teenage years. We have visited many places this past year ( Portland, Austin, Chicago ) as we aren't just going to go" anywhere". Yes, my daughters xc is somewhat important as she really loves it and is pretty good at it. Rental budget is 2,500$-3,000$ with intention to buy after a year or so

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,126,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofarber View Post
Jobs are no issue for us. Pharmacist/occupational therapist. We can move pretty much where we want. We live in a great little walkable village but both my husband and I grew up in an urban area ( Buffalo) and would like our daughter to experience urban living now that she is pushing into her teenage years. We have visited many places this past year ( Portland, Austin, Chicago ) as we aren't just going to go" anywhere". Yes, my daughters xc is somewhat important as she really loves it and is pretty good at it. Rental budget is 2,500$-3,000$ with intention to buy after a year or so
Louisville is an older small town that became a suburb. It does have a small, walkable downtown area, but many areas are essentially suburban.

While it is your choice, I don't think I would sacrifice my teenage daughter to the gods of urban living.

East is a good school, but it's not great. Most of the really successful kids come from upper class households in the Denver Country Club area.

Capitol Hill is an area more for adults. One good look at the Colorado Sex Offender registry map will tell you that it is not really an area you would want your young daughter out and about all alone.

I would also take into account the number of marijuana dispensaries in the area. This is the reality of urban living in Denver.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Louisville is an older small town that became a suburb. It does have a small, walkable downtown area, but many areas are essentially suburban.

While it is your choice, I don't think I would sacrifice my teenage daughter to the gods of urban living.

East is a good school, but it's not great. Most of the really successful kids come from upper class households in the Denver Country Club area.

Capitol Hill is an area more for adults. One good look at the Colorado Sex Offender registry map will tell you that it is not really an area you would want your young daughter out and about all alone.

I would also take into account the number of marijuana dispensaries in the area. This is the reality of urban living in Denver.

I hear you... These reasons are why we really have taken our time deciding where to go. Its tough, our daughter really doesn't fit the mold of our "bubble of sameness" village we live in and we really are looking for more culture/diversity in a place to live for her. I do want her to be able to independently get around as this is what teenagers want. We really want a place that has "cool" things to do with her friends like go to vintage clothing stores, coffee shops, book stores etc...my daughter isnt the "mall type". I want my daughter to suceed in school but going to a top rated "country club type" school is not what we want- we have that now....That sex registry doesn't make me happy at all.....My husband is definately concerned with all the pot dispensaries. Are people just smoking it all over the place?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Consider Downtown Littleton, or Golden, or Arvada.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:12 AM

977 posts, read 1,329,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Consider Downtown Littleton, or Golden, or Arvada.
Arvada High School is terrible in all athletics and Golden and Littleton are not too hot. None of those schools have solid XC teams.

As for diversity. If you want ethnic diversity then Golden or Littleton certainly do not provide that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver