Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:23 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Thanks for info.
Wife said no to tiles.
Says they feel too cold so I'm back to vinyl/linoleum tiles or sheet.
The only opinion that should matter. (But you can put electric radiant heat underneath tile )

We are in the process of building right now and had hot water in floor radiant installed in the entire house. I can't wait to walk on warm tile in the middle of winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:49 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The only opinion that should matter. (But you can put electric radiant heat underneath tile )

We are in the process of building right now and had hot water in floor radiant installed in the entire house. I can't wait to walk on warm tile in the middle of winter.
Good for you but we don't have plan for radiant heat so have to put 1/4" underlay plywood and then vinyl or linoleum on top.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:11 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Good for you but we don't have plan for radiant heat so have to put 1/4" underlay plywood and then vinyl or linoleum on top.
Happy wife, happy life. You're doing the right thing.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
I have peel and stick tiles in my bathroom and kitchen. Definately use an adhesive but make SURE the floor is level. The vinyl will crack if there are ridges. And have a strip to put on the edge by the door to keep feet walking in and out from tearing the edge by the door.

It won't keep it warm but a good layer of cold and moisture barrier under the plywood will help it be less cold. If the air is cold the vinyl will get cold too. So will linoleum.

That was put in my laundry room. I have enough tile to cover it up and plan to. The surface has all these tiny pits and by an outside door with dirt and grass outside it the dirt is very hard to get out and sometimes won't come out of these little pits. The really nice thing about vinyl tile is its very smooth and easy to keep clean.

If you use the tiles, lay a row of them with the adhesive and back your way out if you can. If you can't, then take a break if you have to walk on them with the extra adhesive as they will slip until it sets. I just did the whole kitchen floor over and there was a lot of down time.

If you use the thin plywood, get a good stapler and the 1 1/8 inch brads. Make sure all endges and anywhere it bows up are flattened first. You can use a hammer to knock them in. The tiles will split if they are on a seam where with moisture the plywood has bowed. Just fasten it down with the brads on the edges and a few in the middle and they are a good choice for a wet area. But don't try to put them directly on the existing floor if it requires leveling. The plywood isn't expensive and you don't look like you are dealing with much space so its not an expensive investment. You can also use the hardboard which is reccomended for ceramic but the other with staples should work fine.

Good luck. It sounds like more work than it really is.

The adhesive can be messy and be prepared. When it gets on the outside they sell stuff which smells horrible you can use on it. I discovered half vinegar and half water and a little time for it to soften also works and is cheaper and less odorous.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have peel and stick tiles in my bathroom and kitchen. Definately use an adhesive but make SURE the floor is level.
Thanks for informative post.
If you used peel and stick, what's the need of adhesive?
Don't they already have adhesive back?

Also, do I have to leave some space between the wall and plywood?
I have a hand saw so thinking I'll cut the plywood at HD or Lowes and bring them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver