Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

$1.50 for install is kind of suspicious cheap. My guess is he's not bonded and insured. But if you've seen the quality of his work and you trust him to show up and FINISH the job, then maybe it's worth the risk? However, you posted earlier that he came and measured and ordered samples and then disappeared. So he sounds possibly a bit flaky and you could end up having to live with a half finished floor for a while.

Also, check to see exactly what he's including with the $1.50. What do you have under there anyway? If you are on a concrete slab, you'll need to install a subfloor? What is he going to charge for that? What about baseboards and doorways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
$1.50 for install is kind of suspicious cheap. My guess is he's not bonded and insured. But if you've seen the quality of his work and you trust him to show up and FINISH the job, then maybe it's worth the risk? However, you posted earlier that he came and measured and ordered samples and then disappeared. So he sounds possibly a bit flaky and you could end up having to live with a half finished floor for a while.

Also, check to see exactly what he's including with the $1.50. What do you have under there anyway? If you are on a concrete slab, you'll need to install a subfloor? What is he going to charge for that? What about baseboards and doorways?
Not the same guy.
The CL guy vanished.
This guy is recommended by my friend who had the floor done recently.

It's all wood subfloor as I have basement/crawlspace underneath.

I'm buying the wood and rosin paper/felt myself.
May be nails and other tidbits, not sure yet.
He has all the flooring equipment.

I have to dispose of the old laminate/carpet/pads myself.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 AM

It's coming along...
90% finished.
Flooring guy is having car troubles so not sure when the bathroom and some bullnose finishing will be done.

This wood is pretty decent and very good price at Homedepot, $2.99/sq. ft., cheaper than raw oak.
If you are interested, here is the link: Shaw Woodale Carmel Oak 3/4 in. Thick x 2-1/4 in. Wide x Random Length Solid Hardwood Flooring (25 sq. ft. / case)-DH82400193 at The Home Depot

Not available in all stores though.

This is how it was at Homedepot display under fluorescent lights:

Here is how my kitchen/dining looks... different lighting (Sunlight) so looks different color:

Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor install cost frustration...-20141109_100544.jpg   Hardwood floor install cost frustration...-20141013_174333.jpg  

Last edited by Mystery123; 11-13-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-07-2014, 11:34 AM

The flooring is 90% done.
Few landing/stair nose areas remain but having hard time to get the guy come and finish it up.

He had car trouble and also needed to move out of his apt so asked me if I can help him by paying him in advance so he can put deposit in the new place.
Being a nice guy, I did and it's been over a month that he hasn't showed up.
Should have known better to not pay in full until the job is done.
Doesn't pick the phone and text except occasional 'Maybe next week' text for last few weeks.

May be I should finish it up myself.
I have compressor, nail/staple gun and the stair nose.

Here is what's left on both side of the front hallway and basement door plus some touch ups on nail holes.

If anyone wants to avoid this guy, PM for details.
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor install cost frustration...-dsc02868-landing-step.jpg  

Old 12-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Update...
So finally after over a month, I got Kurt's text yesterday, "Sorry I can't work for you, please stop calling me".
I asked why after he's already paid for the job and didn't get reply.

So I told what's going on and also sent the text I received to my friend who recommended this guy.
He and I are friends for over 5 years and have dealt with him over thousands of dollars just by word of mouth.
He got pissed off and contacted his friend who knows this flooring guy and somehow this guy got threatened to get arrested.
So I got a call from him finally after a month and he said, why are you trying to have me arrested?
I was like, I have no idea but looks like you got someone calling on my behalf.
Then he kept on saying that we couldn't find the bullnose in time and that was not the part of flooring job and I'm not coming there to do the job free blah blah blah.
Me: "Free? I paid for that. Remember I helped you to pay your bills before you finished the job trusting you and you promised to come back the same weekend a month ago?"
He: I sent you email explaining I won't come down for free.
Me: First, it's not free, I already paid. I never got that email and you shouldn't expect extra pay. I didn't receive text nor a phone call from you since you promised to show up at 9am on Saturday 4 weeks ago.
He: May be system is having issue.
Me: Ya right, what about my 100 texts and calls after that?
He: I'm not coming to do the work for free, bull nose is extra.
Me: You never mentioned that before and you said all I have to do is buy bull nose and you'll install it along with the floor.
He: Yes but you couldn't find that in time.
Me: Yes but when I gave you money, you promised to come back and finish the steps when I find bull nose. You never said you need extra money. You just ignored me for last 4 weeks and today you said you can't work for me.
He: I don't want to come for free. And I don't want to do the laundry room.
Me: Laundry room was just an option if we have wood left. And if we do that, I told you I'll pay for that extra 15 sq. ft.
He: I'm not coming down to do the laundry room for only $$ (for his normal rate). It's not worth my time. If you want me to do that room, I want $100.
Me: Forget laundry room, that was only an option if we have enough left over.
He: I'm not coming down there to fix the steps and bull nose either for free.
Me: Again, it's not free as I already paid you but how much you want?
He: I need $50 for finishing the steps and bullnose.
Me: Okay fine, come and finish it up and let's get it over with.

So assuming he shows up on Saturday, I'm just $50 out of my pocket.
Not a big deal but a pain of a guy to work with in the end.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Wow, amazing he'd hold it up for months for $50. Guess the moral of the story is make sure you pay for progress and keep them motivated to finish the job.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Wow, amazing he'd hold it up for months for $50. Guess the moral of the story is make sure you pay for progress and keep them motivated to finish the job.
Exactly!
Had he told me he needs additional $50 to come back a month ago, I don't have to wait for him with all the furniture pushed aside.

He left his tools when we couldn't find bull nose that day 5 or 6 weeks ago.
He came in the afternoon and took all his tools when my wife was home telling her that he needed tools to do another job as finding bull nose will take few days (that's perfectly fine) then called me in the evening that he needed money for apartment deposit.
I thought about holding at least a $100 because he already took his tools that day then thought he won't have enough for deposit so told him okay come and take it.
And he came running all the way that evening.
That's two trips in same day when he needed his tools and my money but he now wants $50 because he doesn't think it's worth to come down here to finish the job that's already paid.
When I paid him on Tuesday 5 weeks ago, I told him that my friends are coming over on Saturday and if you he could come and finish on Saturday morning, I can organize some furniture in there.
He replied like a nice guy that he'll come Thursday instead so I'd have enough time to move furniture around before friends come over on Saturday.
And I believed that.
He got $50 extra from me but lost a whole lot of customers in my circle as his price is reasonable but I will pay more and suggest friends to hire someone other to avoid this guy.
Part of me thinks it's not his fault as this guy is paycheck to paycheck.
I should have known better to keep the motivation to come back by holding the payment partially until the finish.
Oh well... bad thing is he didn't learn a lesson.
He doesn't realize how much he lost by avoiding me and for that $50.
I have friends right now wanting to replace floors and some even asked about who's doing my floor, how much etc... when they came over.
Also the very fact that I hired him from my friend's recommendation.
After I talked to my friend yesterday, he also said he's sorry that he recommended that guy to me and will not recommend to anyone from now on.
It was funny that my friend and his family went to a two week vacation and when he came back, he was astonished that I'm still waiting for Kurt just like I was before he went to vacation.
C'est La Vie.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Fast, good, cheap - pick 2. Sorry it's been so frustrating and hope he does finally show up and gets it done. Sounds like it was a cheap enough deal that $50 extra isn't enough to change that, but still ridiculous that he acted the way he did. And yeah, short sighted because he lost a good potential referral source. But some people are good at what they do and lousy at the business side, sounds like he may be one of those.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Fast, good, cheap - pick 2. Sorry it's been so frustrating and hope he does finally show up and gets it done. Sounds like it was a cheap enough deal that $50 extra isn't enough to change that, but still ridiculous that he acted the way he did. And yeah, short sighted because he lost a good potential referral source. But some people are good at what they do and lousy at the business side, sounds like he may be one of those.
Yes extra $50 is not a big deal for over 800 sq.ft. install regardless of what the cost is.
But he broke his promise to finish the job and avoided me for a month with my floor messed up.
A dishonest guy.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:51 PM

Post It's finally over...

Finally it's over...
Handed $50 and got rid of him.

Plus this guy has attitude problems.
He had a trim sticking out on the hard wood and I asked him if he's cutting the trim off to flush it.
His answer was I'm not here to build your house, I do floors.
If I suggest him something, he replies, "I know what I'm doing" but still messes up.
I told him multiple times not to use real dark pieces in living room and save for the bathroom but I still see quite a few dark pieces in living and family room.
Not too bad looking but it could be much better looking.

What a tool! I wonder how he gets job with this attitude.

Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood floor install cost frustration...-20141226_152925-small.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: