Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times

Advertisements

I think something like this in Erie fits the bill.

138 Bonanza Dr, Erie, CO 80516 is For Rent - Zillow

There is fracking near the elementary schools so if that concerns you then Erie might not be a fit but it is in your price, schools are rated well, shopping is close enough from your criteria and the shopping infrastructure is newer. If you zoom out you can see where Larkridge Mall is. Costco, Sears, Home Depot, some restaurants etc. Just south of that is Orchard Town Center with everything (restaurants, movies, JC Penney, Macy's, Target, REI, Staples etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
If he gets the job, where will he actually be working on a day to day basis? Start your search directly across the street from wherever that is and then work your way out slowly until you find what you need. You can't put a price on not having to commute. You can save that mileage for doing fun things together as a family with all the extra time you'll have because your husband won't be stuck in a car for hours each day just to give you the house of your "dreams". (which never lasts long anyways).

Of course if his work is transitory by nature, or if he has regular WFH options then you're free to target neighborhoods based on other family needs and preferences. I think several suggestions have already been made along those lines. I personally would never live in one of those planned out, manufactured neighborhoods where every house (and perhaps every person?) is the same. But I seem to be in the minority there. Most people seem to prefer it, which is why there's so dang many of them these days.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 PM

40 posts, read 67,011 times
Hi everyone for the replys. I am not sure exactly where he will be working day to day he is applying with the Boulder County Sheriffs Office. Highlands Ranch was one of the places we were really looking at but I do not want him to have a 90 min drive each way so that stinks. I did see there is alot of new builds in Erie and that did appeal to us but I will have to look into this fracking as I dont really know what that is. The reason I liked the MPC's is bc they give alot of options for activities for the families and kids as the one I live in here does and I do like that.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
OP look at the thread titled "fracking your future" in the general Colorado forum. There are 333 posts, so you should be either well-educated or well-confused about the issue by the time you've gone through there.

No need to apologize about wanting to live in a MPC. Some people like them and some don't.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM

116 posts, read 218,842 times
I would look in Fort Collins.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
Fort Collins is as far away from Boulder as Highlands Ranch is (Both are about 55 miles one-way)

Try Longmont (15 miles), Lyons (17 miles), Lafayette (11 miles), Louisville (9 miles), or Superior (7 miles).

Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 PM

205 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylinus View Post
Why? That commute would be longer than coming from Highlands Ranch. If I were the OP, I'd start by looking in Erie, Lafayette, Longmont, Superior, Broomfield and maybe the northern part of Thornton. They all have MPC options. I'd focus on staying in north of about 120th ave and west of Colorado Boulevard.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM

Thanks everyone I will read the fracking post. So Erie does sound like a place we would be interested in so I was actually looking into an area called Vista Ridge. Is there a fracking issue in that area? I read a little bit about it already and it doesnt really sound like something I care to live around. I havent looked yet in Superior, Lafayette or Longmont. I will look into those as well. I appreciate the help

Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 AM

Wow Im seeing to find things about alot of places dumps, fracking, phlutomium or something like that. To make it a bit easier what city meets my requirements but dont have any of those issues?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:30 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Definitely take Vista Ridge off your list. They built on and next to a land fill. Unfortunately Erie is a poorly managed city. Their city council makes extremely questionable decisions such as approving a residential development on/next to their land fill and approving fracking next to the elementary schools. It is the reason it makes it affordable to you and meets your requirements. The market out here is relatively efficient. If there is something that makes an area attractive the price goes up. The negatives bring the price down. So the question goes back to you. Which of your requirements are you the most flexible on?

Last edited by mic111; 11-14-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver