Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 35,414 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Trying not to sound too copy-pasted from another city thread of mine, but I'm a Utahn considering pursuing a law enforcement career in a couple different cities and Denver is one of them. I'm just looking for some feedback about the area in relation to how much I'd be making.

First, what I'm looking for. I would prefer to rent(and probably eventually own) a house somewhere in or around Denver. I'm very flexible on this and actually kind of prefer the suburbs. That's not to imply I've lived a whole lot of urban life being from Utah. Anyway, a commute to downtown Denver(by car or other means) of 30 minutes or less is something I have no problem with and can tolerate a 45 minute commute.

Now, for the salary. After the academy, I'd be making $52.1k and after 3 years I'd be making $77.7k(before taxes, of course). My wife would be working too, but I'm trying to figure out how far I could take us on my own. No kids yet. Would I be able to accomplish my goals based on this salary? I know that such a salary would actually go a ways here in SLC(at least as far as what I consider living comfortably) and that Denver is a little bit more expensive, but I figured I'd get information straight from you guys.

Bonus question: What's the relationship between the Denver PD and the residents like? I have seen a couple things here and elsewhere that makes me think it's a bit stressed, but I'd be interesting in additional input.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:57 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letalisk View Post
Hello everyone! Trying not to sound too copy-pasted from another city thread of mine, but I'm a Utahn considering pursuing a law enforcement career in a couple different cities and Denver is one of them. I'm just looking for some feedback about the area in relation to how much I'd be making.

First, what I'm looking for. I would prefer to rent(and probably eventually own) a house somewhere in or around Denver. I'm very flexible on this and actually kind of prefer the suburbs. That's not to imply I've lived a whole lot of urban life being from Utah. Anyway, a commute to downtown Denver(by car or other means) of 30 minutes or less is something I have no problem with and can tolerate a 45 minute commute.

Now, for the salary. After the academy, I'd be making $52.1k and after 3 years I'd be making $77.7k(before taxes, of course). My wife would be working too, but I'm trying to figure out how far I could take us on my own. No kids yet. Would I be able to accomplish my goals based on this salary? I know that such a salary would actually go a ways here in SLC(at least as far as what I consider living comfortably) and that Denver is a little bit more expensive, but I figured I'd get information straight from you guys.

Bonus question: What's the relationship between the Denver PD and the residents like? I have seen a couple things here and elsewhere that makes me think it's a bit stressed, but I'd be interesting in additional input.

Thanks for your help!
Pay should be fine for a lot of areas, especially after you bump up to 77k. There are plenty of people here that make less and get by.

As far as the relationship between the population and police go. As far as I can tell as long as you don't shoot someone's dog or elk, you should be fine.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Same and different

Same - Cost of Living with one huge exception
Different - housing prices. Denver is 28% more than SLC on average.

Same - Denver has a fairly high Mormon population
Different - Mormons do not dominate greater Denver politics

Same - both cities are near the mountains.
Different - Less air pollution in Denver. Especially in the Winter.

The Denver PD has a huge outreach program in progress. New police chief shaking things up.

Don't even think about shooting a dog.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Here are a few things to consider:

Policemen often make more money by working overtime. This can bump up their pay considerably.

There are 6 different districts in DPD where you could be stationed. The likelihood of being stationed downtown is not very high. You would probably want to live nearer to where you are stationed.

Denver Police have a history of violence and corruption. There is not a year that goes by without a DPD officer being accused of brutality and/or misconduct. Accordingly, there are many who live in Denver who are very wary of the Denver Police. The department routinely is sued and loses most of these cases. I fear for the safety of my 17 year old son if he were to be stopped by the police. I am afraid he would do something stupid like try to run away and the officers who catch him end up beating the stuffing out of him. It happens more than we think, and now that there are video cameras everywhere it is being taken more seriously.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
I also think the Denver police have a pretty bad reputation. The little we see on video is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of their abuse of citizens. The outlying suburban/rural ones are always shooting pet dogs. Thank goodness for people with camera phones so we can get both practices to stop.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:06 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,284,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Pay should be fine for a lot of areas, especially after you bump up to 77k. There are plenty of people here that make less and get by.

As far as the relationship between the population and police go. As far as I can tell as long as you don't shoot someone's dog or elk, you should be fine.
Yes agree on pay.

And even more on the dog or elk or person.
I lived in Dallas and these kind of things happened but they don't get as publicized as in Denver.
Last cop who shot the dog in Longmont (? or Erie) was in the news for months.

Also, there were few incidents where drunk and unarmed where shot and killed as well as some bar beating so public relationship is not as good as DPD or us would like but it may be same in most big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver