Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 05:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times

Advertisements

Winter is here and it’s getting cold! I’m wondering what are the best space heaters or what kind do you use?
Do you prefer ceramic or radiator type heaters?
Just trying to be a little but more conservative(save) this year for the winter and not try to use much of my house heater system.
Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 05:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
I don't know personally but check these out:

space heaters recommendations - Google Search

Old 11-23-2007, 09:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Get an electric blanket for sleeping...much cheaper than running a space heater in the bedroom.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Thanks all.

After couple of tests @ my local Lowes. I found that this one : Quartz Tower Heater with LED Thermostat

Was very safe if it was to tilt over and actually shut off. Then it blew hot heat very, very well. Wife was very happy w/ this one over the Radiator Heater that we previously owned.

Cheers

Old 11-25-2007, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Thanks all.

After couple of tests @ my local Lowes. I found that this one : Quartz Tower Heater with LED Thermostat

Was very safe if it was to tilt over and actually shut off. Then it blew hot heat very, very well. Wife was very happy w/ this one over the Radiator Heater that we previously owned.

Cheers
I wonder what your electric bill will be like.

Last edited by Charles; 11-25-2007 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder what your electric bill will be like.
Why do you wonder, you know something behind the technology of this type of space heater? Not efficient like those radiator type / oil filled heaters?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:00 AM

260 posts, read 1,438,669 times
Make sure its "ceramic" or a delonghi (oil filled radiator style) ... those are the best and safest varieties. I would stay away from a quartz type (dangerous). If you go ceramic, make sure it has a fan on it and that it goes back and forth. It should also have tip-over shut-off. Most do anymore. A ceramic style electric heater will not be hot to the touch ... very warm, yes ... but should not burn. Also look for a plastic body (not metal), as the metal conducts heat and the plastic doesn't.

It might be debatable whether these heaters will actually save you much money, unless you let the rest of the house stay in the mid 50's all the time. A couple year ago, we got slammed with insane natural gas prices (in CO) ... and people got a $250-$450 gas bill for Christmas!! Last year, with way more snow, but lower prices ... it was more like $100-150. Historically, the natural gas prices (in CO) have been low ... so we used to pay < $100 in the winter, which is hard to beat.

Also be aware the your electrical rate is based on 'peak demand', and then on usage ... so if you have these heaters going, then run other electricial appliances, like the clothes dryer and a vacuum cleaner ... then you'll set a high demand for your household for the month, then you'll pay the most. So these things can use a lot, but if you also keep your demand low (while using them), that will save you more $$.

I have been buying mine in the Jan-Feb timeframe, when they start to go on clearance at places like Target. Usually you can buy them for 50-75% off.

I like the taller ceramic tower models, which are temperature controlled and cycle back and forth (better dispersion) ... and also which have 2 speeds (the low works fine and saves $$).

We have used one of these in our camping trailer and it works great. These are about $45 (full price) at target right now. In the house, one works for a small-medium sized room and two are required for very large rooms.

Something like this:
Amazon.com: Delonghi TRD0715T Safe Heat Oil-Filled Radiator: Home & Garden

or this:
Amazon.com: SPT SH-1508 Tower Ceramic Heater with Ionizer: Home & Garden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver