Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and doing my research but I can only get so far without actually visiting. I'm contemplating moving to CO from Boston. Ideally I'd like at least an acre in a decent neighborhood on the outskirts of Denver with a reasonable commute (under 45min in traffic) to downtown. What are my options that won't break the bank (under, say, $500k)? I'm currently eyeing Golden, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,824,756 times
For starters, try realtor.com for Golden, and specify the acreage. Land is not cheap here, nor is water.

A new light rail line that gets very near to Golden just began operations and provides a possible commuting solution for downtown, which is served by a number of light rail lines. Another rail line will open in the near future from the main airport to downtown.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:18 PM

11,820 posts, read 34,326,708 times
Why do you think work will be downtown?

Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Why do you think work will be downtown?
Just a guess given that I'd be looking into business/finance most likely. That said, of course I won't know exactly until I get an offer.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM

599 posts, read 951,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalash View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and doing my research but I can only get so far without actually visiting. I'm contemplating moving to CO from Boston. Ideally I'd like at least an acre in a decent neighborhood on the outskirts of Denver with a reasonable commute (under 45min in traffic) to downtown. What are my options that won't break the bank (under, say, $500k)? I'm currently eyeing Golden, for example.

You owe it to yourself to visit before you decide to move. Denver and Boston are about as different as two places in the US can be. The soft pastoral suburbs like you find outside of Boston simply don't exist here.

Your options are going to be dictated solely by where your job is exactly located. If you end up working in the Tech Center you will easily be able to find what you are looking for in areas like Elizabeth and Parker. If you end up downtown, it will not be as easy because traffic from down there to downtown is brutal.

You can commute to downtown from Golden in 45 minutes, but it is tough to find acreage until you get into the foothills, which is a lifestyle that is an acquired taste due to snow, wind, fires, lack of utilities, and the rustic nature of most of the areas. There are areas around Fairmount and west Arvada with 1-5 acres that are not in the foothills, but at $500k you are looking at an older home, for certain.

You might be surprised at what you don't get for your $500,000 when you are looking for something other than a postage stamp sized lot in a cookie cutter subdivision.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,455,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalash View Post
Hi all,

It would be difficult to find. If you're in the tech center you might be able to find something around Castle Rock, that's not too far of a commute. Anything East of I25 is not really desirable IMO.

I'm from the east as well originally and my really only complaint about CO is the housing. Houses are slammed next to each other, they all look the same ect...Very similar to Texas, Phoenix, CA ect....

We live in a newer sub division, houses go from the $400's-over a million in a small area. Regardless of the price all the houses are all on tiny lots and very little space. The wife and I have a 5 yr plan to save up and find some more space, but for now it's fine.

Good Luck.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:29 PM

403 posts, read 756,734 times
Depending on where you wind up with work, areas that allow for more land/space for your money are Morrison, Conifer, and Evergreen. A majority of the homes in these areas are on 1+ acres of land and nothing is cookie-cutter. There's tons of people that choose to live here and commute "down the hill".

My husband commutes to DIA weekly and it takes him 1 hr and 10 minutes door to door. Downtown Denver can be reached in 45 minutes (except in a snowstorm).

We have every modern amenity in these locales...supermarkets, spas, salons, restaurants, recreation centers, awesome public schools, open space parks, etc.

Good luck with the job offer!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:52 PM

599 posts, read 951,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
We have every modern amenity in these locales...supermarkets, spas, salons, restaurants, recreation centers, awesome public schools, open space parks, etc.

And snow, wind, fires, many houses on well/septic/propane, 4x4 required, etc.

Just sayin', living in the hills isn't for everyone. There is an enormous difference between a house on an acre or two in Massachusetts and a house on an acre or two in Conifer.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 PM

17,685 posts, read 29,645,485 times
There are no "1 acre minimum zoning" suburbs in greater Denver.
There is no Carlisle with 2-5 acre zoning.
There is no Weston/Wayland with 1 acre zoning.

There is nowhere near Denver where it rains 43 inches a year. The average on the plains is 15 inches.
The only trees (unless you go to Evergreen) are those planted and nurtured by Man.
There are no twisty, narrow roads just wandering through the countryside.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,606,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
There are no "1 acre minimum zoning" suburbs in greater Denver.
There is no Carlisle with 2-5 acre zoning.
There is no Weston/Wayland with 1 acre zoning.
Bow Mar requires a minimum of one acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver