Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,975,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myblock View Post
o and cant you yuppies or real estate developers see that your hurting neighborhoods not helping them, federal and colfax have their own character, character that non natives cant understand, they just want to kick down the old and build brand new condos, and replace little indi shops with wine and spirits or starbucks i am soooooo tired of starbucks. I AM ANTI GENTRIFICATION! AND ITS NOT THE HIGHLANDS ITS THE NORTH SIDE, Californians!
I have three generations of family in Denver, including a whole branch of north Denver natives. (I myself am not a north Denver native). Two of my cousins went to North High, both had lots of problems there and were pretty scared their whole time there. The rest of the fam choiced out of North into other schools, best thing they ever did.

Frankly, I'm not really all that romantic about the "old" north Denver. Sorry. It had promise and potential which is now being realized, but from about 1970-1990 it was a sad, scary place, caught up in the flight to the suburbs, never having had the "old money" there like parts of Central Denver did.

I agree, the "new" north Denver has problems too. Housing affordability has become horrrible overnight (although it's worse elsewhere), teardowns and scrapes are out of control, and a lot of locally owned business has gone extinct. But I'll take the "new" north Denver over the old any day.

BTW, I count exactly two starbucks in all of North Denver's eight hoods: Federal and Speer and on 46th Ave near Tejon, not counting the starbucks inside the Safeway on 44th & Lowell. That's really not that many compared to virtually anywhere else in the metro area. And how many big chains are there in north Denver (of any type) -- not really very many, especially when it comes to restaurants. Chipotle on 32nd is one of the very few new ones (Heidi's started there, so that doesn't count), plus some fast food joints on 38th that have been there since forever -- those actually are more "old" north Denver than new.

Oh, and as for the name "Highland" -- it's actually much older than either the North side or North Denver. It dates back to when it was a separate town before annexation by Denver in the 1880s. Highland Park has been there forever. Potter Highland was always called that. The city has always called the neighborhood "Highland" and "West Highlands" and the greater area "North Denver." It is true that we always called it "North Denver" as kids, but if you wanted to narrow down to what part of "North Denver", then even then you would hear Highland and west highland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
We lived in the Sloan's Lake area from 1980-82. We were new to the area, and it looked like a nice residential neighborhood. I agree with tfox's description of N. Denver in the 1970-90 period (though, obviously, I wasn't there 1970-80). I'll say, what she describes is how it was in 1980. We actually considered buying a house there, but found them to be overpriced for what you were getting, e.g. needed a lot of work, etc. Plus, really, we did most of our shopping in Jefferson Co. at the old Lakeside Mall, Villa Italia Mall and the like. The Safeway at 26th and Federal was a dump, and looks like it still is. We sometimes went to the one at 44th and Lowell, but it was closer to go to some in Jeffco. Life was not bad there, but there just was nothing particularly keeping us. Long story short, we ended up buying in Louisville, which had the "small town" charm at the time. Imagine my surprise to learn that it was the new "hip" area (though apparently not where we lived).

tfox is right about the name Highlands. It was the city of Highlands, before being annexed. I think the annexation occurred about 1900. I have a book about NW Denver, but I couldn't find it on my bookshelf when I went to answer this post. Many of the names around there are very "Scottish Highlands" sounding, which was what they were supposed to evoke, e.g., W. Argyle Pl., W. Caithness Pl., W. Denkeld Pl. There is even a "Highland Park" there.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM

8 posts, read 50,422 times
Default i hate gentrification as well

Putting a mask on a pig doesn't make it any more beautiful than it was before. The poverty does not go away by moving people to distant neighborhoods and tearing houses / projects down.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi303 View Post
Putting a mask on a pig doesn't make it any more beautiful than it was before. The poverty does not go away by moving people to distant neighborhoods and tearing houses / projects down.
This is a nonsense statement. You know nothing about North Denver. The poor, as you call them; old ethnic Italians; Hispanics all still live in North Denver. It is integrated well with the "new rich" and the creative young people who are moving into these areas.

Many of the "poor" are seeing appreciation of their homes and are not selling but are stimulated into improvements. Some have sold and received a good price, and these homes have been either renovated or torn down--and for some that was the only option. Yes, there has been some excesses in development and The city, recently, has taken firm zoning measures to avoid overbuilding of some areas to maintain the characteristics of the area.

The area was never so poor and in a state of decay as you would see in some eastern cities. It is and never was a tragically dangerous neighborhood. I know bad neighborhoods as an ex New Yorker.

Poor does not mean bad; Old does not mean decay; Hispanic and Mexican does not mean dangerous. It also has people living happily there, from one generation to the next. Yes, it went through some hard times, in some decades, but never collapsed.

I would give much of the credit to the tough Italian and Hispanic who helped maintain the area. In addition, a strong kudo goes to Leprino's for maintaining their corporate headquarters on West 38th and expanding (they are the largest manufacturer and distributor of mozzarella cheese in the world). The City of Denver has consistently over the years provided funds for development and improvement to the area.

If you knew North Denver, you will also know that it has a extensive influence of the Christian Religion, especially the Roman Catholic Church. There are children's homes, old age residences etc. Regis University and Parishes and Churches have and continue to serve the neighborhood. This has given the area a good stability. I say that as an Atheist and I am very impressed by the active christian works in this community. These institutions serve many of the less fortunate residents of the area and also of Greater Denver.

Tearing Projects down and sending people to distant neighborhoods??? What are you talking about??? Denver and the faith based agencies in this area are very progressive in expanding and improving public housing, senior housing, and housing for the disabled and the less fortunate.

I live very close to this area, on the far southwest area of Adams county. I have walked, biked, drove taken buses through this area. I have shopped at businesses, been to events, ate at restaurants etc. I have seen the area for many decades. There is not a turning out of people to other areas and this becoming an area for only the rich.

Yes, there are some areas that are increasing in value and they are interspersed between many areas that have received benefits in new shopping, new venues and a general improvement in the area. Yes, there are pockets of poverty and some areas that are stressed but I have seen vast improvement in this area and it is not only done by tearing the buildings down and moving people out.

Get out of your car and do the walk; then you can talk; and you will find much less to mock; or better yet for your turbid generalizations, just swallow a sock.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I am of the poor...

Livecontent

Old 12-16-2010, 01:57 PM

66 posts, read 320,653 times
Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This is a nonsense statement. You know nothing about North Denver. The poor, as you call them; old ethnic Italians; Hispanics all still live in North Denver. It is integrated well with the "new rich" and the creative young people who are moving into these areas.

Many of the "poor" are seeing appreciation of their homes and are not selling but are stimulated into improvements. Some have sold and received a good price, and these homes have been either renovated or torn down--and for some that was the only option. Yes, there has been some excesses in development and The city, recently, has taken firm zoning measures to avoid overbuilding of some areas to maintain the characteristics of the area.

The area was never so poor and in a state of decay as you would see in some eastern cities. It is and never was a tragically dangerous neighborhood. I know bad neighborhoods as an ex New Yorker.

Poor does not mean bad; Old does not mean decay; Hispanic and Mexican does not mean dangerous. It also has people living happily there, from one generation to the next. Yes, it went through some hard times, in some decades, but never collapsed.

I would give much of the credit to the tough Italian and Hispanic who helped maintain the area. In addition, a strong kudo goes to Leprino's for maintaining their corporate headquarters on West 38th and expanding (they are the largest manufacturer and distributor of mozzarella cheese in the world). The City of Denver has consistently over the years provided funds for development and improvement to the area.

If you knew North Denver, you will also know that it has a extensive influence of the Christian Religion, especially the Roman Catholic Church. There are children's homes, old age residences etc. Regis University and Parishes and Churches have and continue to serve the neighborhood. This has given the area a good stability. I say that as an Atheist and I am very impressed by the active christian works in this community. These institutions serve many of the less fortunate residents of the area and also of Greater Denver.

Tearing Projects down and sending people to distant neighborhoods??? What are you talking about??? Denver and the faith based agencies in this area are very progressive in expanding and improving public housing, senior housing, and housing for the disabled and the less fortunate.

I live very close to this area, on the far southwest area of Adams county. I have walked, biked, drove taken buses through this area. I have shopped at businesses, been to events, ate at restaurants etc. I have seen the area for many decades. There is not a turning out of people to other areas and this becoming an area for only the rich.

Yes, there are some areas that are increasing in value and they are interspersed between many areas that have received benefits in new shopping, new venues and a general improvement in the area. Yes, there are pockets of poverty and some areas that are stressed but I have seen vast improvement in this area and it is not only done by tearing the buildings down and moving people out.

Get out of your car and do the walk; then you can talk; and you will find much less to mock; or better yet for your turbid generalizations, just swallow a sock.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I am of the poor...

Livecontent
I know this is an old post and all but I felt the need to say something. I agree with a couple people on here about ANTI-GENTRIFICATION. I am not a fan either. It does take away from the character of places. I have been to many major cities and walked around them and seen them first hand. Harlem, NY is under going gentrifying and it even felt different than the perception of it. There were plenty of "yuppie" type people doing shopping there and new condos and places to eat and such. It still felt like Harlem because it is still predominant african american, but there is a growing influx of white people in the area. I have seen the same when i went to LA to visit my family a couple summers ago. An area called PICO ALISO in east los angeles has lost its reputation and culture quite a bit. There were newly built condos and houses all over the place which made it feel like a bit of a yuppie place.

LIVECONTENT, i think the poster meant that the newly built condos and raising prices for housing and renters makes the poor people of those areas move out. I think that is why you have seen such a rise in the number of Latinos in the eastern section of Wheat Ridge, Edgewater, Northeastern and Eastern Lakewood, Twin Lakes, Sherrelwood, North and West Aurora, Commerce City, etc. It definitely takes way from the reputation of North Denver, areas around Capitol Hill and East Colfax and such. Even gentrifying is hitting parts on West Colfax Ave as well. I don't think the gentrifying has hit Edgewater/Edgewood area yet, but it may. Plenty of people who have moved into North Denver in the last 5-10 years are shopping and eating at new restaurants along Sheridan Blvd and 25th Ave in the Edgewater/Edgewood area, but along 20th ave and colfax ave and into the neighborhood around 22nd and 24th ave still need some help with gentrifying. I think plenty of low income renters and people from the North Denver area who can't afford West Highland, Highland, Sloan Lake, Berkeley, Jefferson Park, Regis, etc. are moving into Edgewater, as well as some, but not overwhelmingly, yuppie type people.

With all that said, I am definitely opposed to gentrifying. But thats just my opinion. North Denver still overall is Latino predominant and has its culture, and unfortunately a gang culture as well, but the gentrifying is taking that way. And i never had a problem with that. The same can said for areas around east denver, such as, Captiol Hill, Uptown, City Park, City Park West, parts of Five Points, parts of Whittier.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,995 times
We will be moving early 2012 and are thinking about the Potter Highland area. Are there any dog parks in the area. Because I have a disability and have difficulty walking, I need to know if the city and residents take good care of the streets and sidewalks especially in the winter.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returning-native View Post
We will be moving early 2012 and are thinking about the Potter Highland area. Are there any dog parks in the area. Because I have a disability and have difficulty walking, I need to know if the city and residents take good care of the streets and sidewalks especially in the winter.
I also have a disability and problems walking. I use a cane and many times a walker. The answer is yes and no.

Yes, the city does spend money improving the sidewalks and especially at intersection for slopes for wheelchairs--because they are required as mandated for disabled access. I think they do a good job keeping up with repair but it is a constant issue especially in an older area, with old narrow sidewalks on the side streets. The main streets have wider sidewalks; are much newer and have wider areas to allow for snow accumulation. In addition, there is much new construction which leads to much better sidewalks but in the interim it does cause problems with access at times.

Walking in winter weather will always be a problem, especially after heavy snows and accumulation of ice. It is more of problem with people with mobility access. Some people clear the sidewalks, immediately and some do not.

From my experience, walking and actually using my rollator in these areas, it is not all that bad, once the sun comes out. As you know, as a native, the sun is frequent and the dry air helps clear the sidewalks. However, you cannot expect to be walking easily with your problems in this area, or any area, after a heavy snowstorm or rarely when the weather is bad for multiple days.

I use public transit often. Bus stops are maintained fairly well but again difficult in heavy snows. There is volunteer program using local residents to help keep those stops clear. In addition, I have seen just local residents going out to clear the area around the bus stops, fire hydrants, and street intersections because many have a sense of responsibility and pride in their neighborhood. I have seen drivers stop their car, get out and help lift wheelchairs and stroller over piles of snow--there are nice people in Denver.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 10-22-2011 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,170 times
I came across this post and have to laugh at some of it. I live in Sunnyside and have for 6 years. The comments about Tejon being rough are truly laughable, as it is actually a quite nice street through Sunnyside. Each year the rough part line moves another block east, and it went through Tejon about the time I moved here. My block has a great mix of lawyers, teachers, directors, firefighters, and blue collar workers. Yes, it is more Caucasian than it used to be, but it is still a healthy mix of races. Crime and gang activity is way down, but you can hardly call that a bad thing. With Lohi to the south becoming an extension of Lodo, I think sunnyside is one of the best places to buy in the Highlands: you can be close to all the great restaurants and bars, but you don't have to live next to late night bar traffic or have problems parking. Tons of families with young kids in the neighborhood.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:29 AM

18 posts, read 35,112 times
I moved to the Sunnyside area two weeks ago from Austin (near 46th and Federal). After I had secured my home and before I moved I read up on the area and was honestly a little nervous about my decision since so many described it as "up and coming" "a bit rough" etc. I was comparing it to East Austin, where you have new $700,000 homes next to an intersection notorious for drug dealing and gang activity. I have to say, after a few bike rides through the neighborhood and getting to know the area, I really had nothing to be nervous about....I find that Sunnyside is close to everything people love about north Denver without the parking headaches and expense. I was able to bike downtown in about 5 minutes, can drive anywhere in Central Denver in just a few minutes and get a smile on my face every time I drive home to my neighborhood. I am really looking forward to getting to know my neighbors and become involved in the community.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:03 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default And, an A-rated elementary school

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLA View Post
Tons of families with young kids in the neighborhood.
Colorado School Grades
Beach Court Elementary with an A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver