Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Proof that most panhandlers make $40-$60K please. That sounds made up.
It's true, just sit down on a bench sometime and watch a panhandler. It's not uncommon to see people whip out their wallets and hand them $5, $10, even $20 bills. If someone hands them one of those bills once every five minutes (thats probably a conservative figure), add it up. Probably $50 - $100 an hour x 8 - 10 hours a day, five or six days a week. Then there are all the people who give them their spare change. Which those guys hate. All those coins just weigh them down, and they have to take breaks to take all the coins to the bank and exchange it for paper money.

A good panhandeler could make a lot more then $60K a year, if they are so motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

A good panhandeler could make a lot more then $60K a year, if they are so motivated.
and that's before they take advantage of the public support/assistance network that is there for the taking. There are numerous other places to get assistance than just the gov't programs ...

I have a friend who is involved with homeless support programs in SLC. The LDS church has purchased several old downtown hotels ... some pretty nice properties, BTW ... and offer housing to all that claim they are homeless without qualification. In exchange, the assisted folk are requested to help with their labor in church projects ... a Bishop's storehouse, a dairy, or similar work while they are assisted in trying to locate permanent jobs. Of course, they are invited to attend church services, but assistance is not conditional upon doing so. My friend acknowledges that he wouldn't be surprised if half of those on the LDS assistance programs are receiving assistance from other public resources, and many don't really qualify for the programs at all. But the LDS mission is based upon folk coming to them and claiming they need the assistance, and they'd rather not get into a judgemental game of who is really needy or not ... it's more cost effective to simply help those who claim they need the assistance. Many of those assisted simply drift away when they get bored with the situation .... the "challenge" and excitement of getting the handout wears thin after awhile and they move on to other places to get as much free services/goods/shelter as they can in another place.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Its (still) a free country. No law can stop someone from asking of someone else. As long as they aren't threatening your or blocking your path, they are fine. I can't believe people who want to ban them, or even worse: fine people for GIVING money to them. Do not forsake our first amendment so easily

Old 12-02-2013, 04:53 PM

346 posts, read 482,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Mental illness is likely the biggest problem.
Agreed, and which quite often leads to substance abuse.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's why we never give a cent to these people. If we stop giving money to panhandlers then they'll go away.
I feel sorry for you.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
It's true, just sit down on a bench sometime and watch a panhandler. It's not uncommon to see people whip out their wallets and hand them $5, $10, even $20 bills. If someone hands them one of those bills once every five minutes (thats probably a conservative figure), add it up. Probably $50 - $100 an hour x 8 - 10 hours a day, five or six days a week. Then there are all the people who give them their spare change. Which those guys hate. All those coins just weigh them down, and they have to take breaks to take all the coins to the bank and exchange it for paper money.

When you put it like that it sounds like it's not a problem at all, as that means there are around 12 people an hour handing over cash to the homeless which is about 100 to 120 people a day...I'm not sure the food carts do that well along the mall. The homeless are providing a service that clearly people are willing to pay for.

...with all that pure green cash...that everyone walks around with nowadays...

Side note: Why aren't we complaining about Children's International, Greenpeace or the Krishnas in this thread? Or was that actually how this all started?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I feel sorry for you.
Feel whatever you want; I'm not giving to people who are probably substance abusers. We've given over $3k to charity this year, so far, and I'll be damned if I'll give cash to street corner panhandlers with all the help that is available here from the Marion House, Salvation Army, and many other charities and churches.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Having had the unfortunate experience of being around aggressive homeless people, they aren't aggressive in Denver. That said there are way to many of them esp around the parking lots by Weldon, I have seen them trying to break in cars, chased one off. The first year I watched some on the way home from Parade of Lights sleeping on cardboard over manhole covers surreal, really. If you are going to be homeless why not pick a warmer climate? Rhetorical question, if they had it together they wouldn't be homeless.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,211 times
I have more problem with the panhandlers in their 20's or 30's that look perfectly fit and able to work that stand on the street corner with their dog asking for money. There is some type of labor work they could find to make their situation better, yet they choose to not do anything and beg. I usually get the dog some food and water. The dog didn't make that choice.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Wow that took me 30 seconds to find one Panhandler Shane Warren Speegle Says He Made $60,000 A Year Begging On Street

This guy actuallly checked it out himself pretty interesting. Far from 60k for him, but a lot more than Mickey D's
Do panhandlers make more than you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver