Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 AM

257 posts, read 608,871 times

Advertisements

Hey all, what are the nearest groomed Nordic ski trails to Denver? I realize the ski trails that are 1 1/2+ hours outside of town are awesome, I've been to some of those, just wondering if there is anything closer. As I understand it, it snows in Denver but the snow usually doesn't stick around too long in town, so I don't know that there would be many in-town options?

I'm currently in the Midwest, and live a half hour away from groomed trails (with a good snow I can ski ungroomed across the street at a park or at a golf course nearby), and if I want to go farther north for the weekend, I can stay very inexpensively at a small hotel or motel located near more extensive trails. Right now I'm considering Denver, Minneapolis or Albuquerque, and winter sports (mostly Nordic skiing and snowshoeing) are high on my list, along with triathlon in the warmer months.

Thanks for any information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
well, since snow doesn't stay on the ground here in Denver more than a couple days at a time. . .and the 2nd or 3rd day its just ice sheened snow

i'm guessing no

Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Yeah that's what I thought. I really like being able to leave my house and play sports, not having to drive somewhere to do it. I think I'd be happier probably living on the outskirts of the town rather than in town, from the sounds of it.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
Boulder has a nordic club that does groomed trails in North Boulder, and Denver's Nordic Association is trying to do a groomed course this year as a pilot program at Wellshire Golf course. But I doubt either of them are, or ever will be consistently open.

The places I used to go to groomed trails for Nordic are in Grand County (Snow Mountain, Devils Thumb), but I know Eldora also has a nordic groomed trail system that is a little closer. Those groomed trials are all over an hour away from Denver, and are likely the ones you are already aware of.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Ok, thanks! I saw something about the groomed course at Wellshire Golf Course. I just wasn't sure about the amount of snow to keep it going as was mentioned.

Yeah, I (and my dog) have been to Snow Mountain and Devil's Thumb, but not to Eldora. I guess part of the distance probably depends on where you are living in Denver as well. I see the driving times on the web, but I've also heard it can get really crowded going there on the weekends during ski season, which can add to the commute as well.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:37 PM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
Eldora avoids the major congestion on I70.

If you leave at peak times you do hit some congestion on the way to Grand County. However, exiting onto US 40 to get to Grand County minimizes the I70 commute issues since you do not stay on I70 as long as you would to get to Summit or Eagle counties.

One big advantage of not doing downhill skiing/snowboarding is you can usually time your trips to avoid most of the congestion.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Yeah that's what I thought. I really like being able to leave my house and play sports, not having to drive somewhere to do it. I think I'd be happier probably living on the outskirts of the town rather than in town, from the sounds of it.
Not a lot in the way of groomed xcs trails very near the Denver Metro, although RobertG and others had some great suggestions for what is out there. Another good non-I-70 place to go is the Greenland Open Space Preserve along I-25 (just north of the El Paso County Line) as well as the Fox Run Regional Park a littler further south and east from there. Neither of them have groomed trails but they are quite nice trails for that if/when we ever get enough snow for them. Between the two, I would choose Fox Run for XSC because thicker trees means less snow-drifting and a more constant base for skiing. Greenland and the Nat'l Forest rails are better snow-shoeing, or just walking (with spikes, if icy) because there are often bald spots even after the heaviest snowfalls. The New Santa Fe trail is another option if you don't mind being closer to houses, business and a busy rr line. But it too has the drifting problems that the less-timebered open spaces have. You should know that the snow levels have been very low for the past three winters or so, so our xcd options have been practically null all along the front range.

I agree with you. Nothing beats getting your outdoor fix right outside your door, which is why I chose to live well outside of both COS and DEN. Most people dream of the high country for that reason, but I don't much care for the trendiness and expensiveness common to the more 'desirable' locations up there. Also, living within possible commuting distance of a major metro is a big plus in case I ever have to return to an office or some other urban job site. The key for me has been to keep it simple. I'm fine with just walking, jogging, cycling, fishing, and things like that most of the time… I don't need a world class ski hill or the entire pacific ocean at my doorstep just to feel alive.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Good information all around! Thanks much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
The key for me has been to keep it simple. I'm fine with just walking, jogging, cycling, fishing, and things like that most of the time… I don't need a world class ski hill or the entire pacific ocean at my doorstep just to feel alive.
Believe it or not that's why sometimes I consider staying in the Midwest.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:48 AM

51 posts, read 48,462 times
My advice, if you really, really love Nordic skiing, and want to do it often (meaning, at least several times a week - like regular jogging or running): Don't move to Denver. I know, Ski Denver is trying to get something going locally, but so far Denver Parks and Rec are being bungholes and holding up progress (they're so worried about skiers damaging their precious golf courses). And even if Ski Denver finally succeeds, there is the perennial issue of snow; it just doesn't snow much, or often, in the Denver metro area (and when it does, the snow doesn't stick around very long).

You already know about all the great groomed trails on the other side of the divide (and Eldora, too). The problem these days is getting to them. I-70 is a parking lot on weekends. Eldora doesn't have the same traffic issues, but it's a long, twisting, relatively slow mountain commute to get up there.

I find it somewhat ironic that as skiers, we whine and moan about global warming/climate change, but then hop in our cars and drive for hours to get to the snow. That's part of why I'm looking at a return to the Midwest. My personal solution to the "local Nordic ski trails" question is to move to a real Nordic ski town. Yes, I'd consider moving to Frisco or Breckenridge or someplace - if I was a millionaire and could afford to buy in those places - but then I'd be even further from my relatives in Ohio and Michigan.

To the OP - just curious, since this is an older thread: Where did you decide to move to?

Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
....To the OP - just curious, since this is an older thread: Where did you decide to move to?
From the below, the OP seems to have moved to South Bend, IN about 18 months ago. He hasn't posted since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Hey all, I've recently relocated back to the area. I grew up here but have not lived here in a long time..... I live in South Bend, ....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver