Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,945,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriated View Post
Stop at rest areas often and get out of the car and just walk around. It really helps on the long drives. My wife and I (well me driving the whole time) did the trip from Orlando to Denver in 3 days just a couple months ago. We drove mostly daylight hours...and enjoyed the trip.

If you're really nervous about snow storms etc, fill your tank often and don't drop below 1/4 tank. A Corolla can idle for a LONG time on a 1/4 tank...if you actually slid off the road into a ditch. You'll be driving almost entirely main roads on the trip, with plenty of traffic. Don't stress it. Just take your time and enjoy the drive.
I just saw this!! Congrats on getting out of Floriduh. My wife and I did the same drive from Melbourne to Denver just over a year ago. We actually loved the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:21 PM

318 posts, read 607,251 times
Made the drive back and forth from Philadelphia Pa to Ft Carson multiple times many years ago. If my memory serves me right, my friend and I drove straight through in roughly 27 hrs. But never in the dead of winter. I would just suggest plan accordingly and carefully watch the weather.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM

833 posts, read 1,706,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick69 View Post
Thank you for your response! I actually am taking my car to the shop on Monday to get taken care of and will be getting brand new tires on it before the trip.
Just one of my little quirks, but I would get those tires either from A) a national chain so any warranty issues can be easily dealt with or B) from a place in Denver (assuming your existing tires are at least "OK").

Just prior to moving is not necessarily the best time to support the local economy when purchasing something that costs several hundred dollars and is expected to last several years. My first credit card was from Sears and I keep it just because while they are not the ideal place to get your car fixed, they are just about everywhere and can fix most things likely to break on such a trip.

Since other people seem to be posting their long distance tips, here's my two:

Drink lots of water/soda/coffee. Although hydration is key, I find the need to pee to be a great stimulant that will stop you from getting drowsy.

Get some podcasts/audio books and listen to them instead of music. Hearing songs you know by heart will not keep you as mentally alert as new material that forces you to pay attention will. Audible has some coupons floating around that will get you two free audio books and there are more podcasts around than you can shake a stick at. A cheap Bluetooth to FM transmitter will make make them much easier to listen to.

Last edited by Prodigal Native; 12-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Needed to ramble...

Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,663,923 times
One other thing probably worth pointing out.
A lot of the gas stations in Kansas along I-70 advertise a great price for the mid-range Gas, instead of the regular.
It is not really obvious that the Regular is as much as 10 cents higher than the mid grade. So if you aren't watching you end up paying a lot more that you expected for your gas.

And, the "24/7" brand stations advertise their gas at a cash price. If you use a card it will cost several cents a gallon more than the advertised price.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 PM

51 posts, read 81,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I just saw this!! Congrats on getting out of Floriduh. My wife and I did the same drive from Melbourne to Denver just over a year ago. We actually loved the drive.
We're really liking Denver. Orlando...was..."meh" at best for us. The drive was fun, as we took the southern route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: