Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 01:40 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times

Advertisements

If you have noticed my other thread, I paid for 52 or 55 oz carpet with 8 lb pad from Direct Factory Carpet.
//www.city-data.com/forum/denve...re-others.html

Today, I was removing old carpet from bathroom as I want finish that myself and noticed old pad is much thicker than the new one that I have few pieces left.
I haven't weighed them or anything but the new pad looks really light and less than 3/4 thickness of the old one.
Here is a picture.
New pad pieces are on the left and right and old pad is in the center.
I'll take both pieces to local stores and see what it matches with.
What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
I hate to admit but I may have been conned in carpet installation-new-vs-old-carpet-pad-2   I hate to admit but I may have been conned in carpet installation-new-vs-old-carpet-pad-1  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I did a google image search and found this:

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...ined=undefined

Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Research

Residential cut pile, cut- loop, or high-level loop carpet requires a resilient, firm cushion with a thickness of 7/16 inch and no less than 1/4 inch with 6 pounds per cubic feet density. Types of cushion may be various polyurethane foams, including the very common bonded foam product often referred to as “rebond,” fiber, or rubber.
Berber carpet or thinner loop or cut pile carpet is made with large, wide loops, and it has been found that a stable, low-flexing, cushion foundation is necessary. A thicker, softer cushion is not acceptable. Cushion thickness should not exceed 3/8 inch for these type products. Again, check with the carpet manufacturer to see if a specific cushion is required.

Selecting The Right Cushion

Bonded polyurethane foam (sometimes called rebond) is quite unique. You cannot mistake it when you see it, because it is formed by combining chopped and shredded pieces of foam, in different sizes and usually different colors, into one solid piece. It frequently has a surface net for ease of installation and improved performance.
Bonded foam is one of the most amazing recycling projects of all time. Nearly all the scrap foam in the U.S., and some from other countries as well, is utilized to make bonded cushion. This recycles waste, which would otherwise be thrown out, and it eases the strain on our landfills. Moreover, bonded foam is itself recyclable.
Carpet Cushion Council - Cushion Types

Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
In simple words, thickness is not quality. Most of the new carpets, except berber, require a 7/16" or thinner pad. It needs to be of a 6 to 8 lb density. Back in the 80s and 90s they sold a thicker, softer pad. But found out that the carpet did not wear as well.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks for comments.
I'm not questioning quality.
I paid for 8 lb pad so I should get 8 lb pad and this doesn't feel like it's heavy pad compared to old pad.
I think the old pad cannot be over 8 lb as I haven't seen any one offering over 8 lb pad and the new pad is very light and thin.

Old pad looks like bonded foam.

Google image won't help as same pad comes in different weights.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Most of the rebond pad sold in the 80s and 90s was 5/8" 4 lb.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:03 AM

This was built in 1993 and the foam pad is very thick.
I compared to Homedepot sample and it's even thicker than HD's thickest foam pad.

Anyways, I give benefit of the doubt and consider it is 8 lb as I saw thinner pads also weigh 8 lb depending upon how compressed they are so it's good for now.
Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver