Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 24,102 times

Advertisements

Tallyn's is one of the best communities in the Metro area...for new homes. Don't be decieved by those that hate on the area, they are likely sore because they live in a cruddy area, like Denver.

Keep in mind that all major cities (aurora is #3 in the state) have good and bads...Aurora is no exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times
Hi, i have lived in Co for 12 years now relocated from Manhattan Beach. The first place i rented was in Aurora and at the time and the location it would not be where I would want to raise my kids. We now live in Washington Park and although we have loved it for a 10 years it was perfect for us as a young couple. Now we are looking to sell our home and move and have been looking all over, Highlands ranch isnt my first choice because the homes are too close together and I hate that about wash park.. Lone tree i like but doesnt seem to have as much to choose from. Tech center is over priced for older homes although location is great. Tallyns reach is really nice. I have friends that live less than 5 minutes away and they are considered Centennial. The way the borders are mapped out in that area make no sense. Dont get stuck on Aurora name the location is very much different than the stigma.. fyi. know that alot of our thunderstorms ect tend to hit more east so some times you might get hit by a good one. But thats about the most downside I can find... Good Luck

Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,313 times
Hello, we currently live north of Tallyn's Reach in Murphy Creek which is Aurora Public Schools. We have recently been looking for a new home as well and have explored Highlands Ranch, Parker, and other areas of Aurora as well. We have always loved Tallyn's Reach for many reasons. We have lived in Southeast Aurora for 15 years and find it to be a very wonderful community. As with any other parts of any area, you may find "areas" that do not appeal to everyone, but I can say for certain as a resident this is a great community. In fact we close on a house in Tallyn's Reach on March 31. It is part of the Cherry Creek School District which is nationally ranked and has consecutively outranked the other school districts in Colorado. I have two young children who will be attending the school in the community and it is ranked #1 in the district. For the person who mentioned no trees, as I am sure you know from your visit that is far from true. They have rolling hilss and many huge trees. Our new home has 30 foot pine trees out our front door (pretty good for a 1 year old house!) The neighborhood is full of young children. The Southlands area is a great shopping area and always have fun activities throughout the year (ice skating in winter, fireworks in the summer, they have face painting throughout the year) Recently on 9 News (the local news station) they mentioned that Tallyn's Reach has been in the top 10 communities in Colorado in the last 15 years. They also hosted the Parade of Homes several years ago. There are million dollar homes mixed in with 300,000 homes. You are correct, it is easy access to everything and you do not have to take the tolls to get places. There are other roads to get around
I wish you the best, it is stressful to move and wonder if you made the right decision, but as a Mother I can tell you that I am completely confident in my new neighborhood and school for my children. Best of luck

Old 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,139,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Does anyone find the tolls on E-470 a problem? How accessible is it to the greater Denver region if you use only surface roads? What's the best way to the DTC, avoiding the highway, and how long does it take?
The E-470 is a road we only take on the way to work (DIA) and in emergencies (meaning we are running VERY late). There are surface streets everywhere and when you first move here, just mapquest everything...when it brings up taking the E-470, push the "avoid" button and it will give you the back way. We've lived on this side of Aurora for about 9 months now and are still discovering ways to get around. Arapahoe Rd takes you right to the DTC and in some places has a speed limit of 55. It does get VERY backed up during rush hour, but there are numerous lanes and they seem to flow pretty well.

You will probably want to buy one of the transponders for your car if you live out here. It is free and you can decide how much to put on the account. We have $100 on the account so it only replenishes that amount when we spend it all. It's a lot easier than always trying to find change and worse yet, finding out you don't have enough when you are trying to use an off/on ramp. By the way, after you live here for a while, you will figure out which on/off ramps don't charge a fee.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
The area is cheap for a reason; there is nothing around there.

Look at the forclosure and short sale rates in the area. The exurban areas like Taly are the next ghettos.
Steveindenver is a confirmed city dweller. City dwellers have a chip on their shoulders about suburbia. There are foreclosures all over the state and city. The key in getting through this mess is to BUY A HOUSE YOU CAN AFFORD! If you can reasonably make your payments and like the area, who cares if it loses value? Live in your house and make it your HOME. Get to know your neighbors and enjoy your neighborhood. Thinking of your house as an ATM and taking out money to go on vacation, pay off credit card bills and unnecessarily redo your kitchen are recent phenomenons. Did your parents think of their house as an ATM or did they just have a goal to pay it off? It's time to get back to basics. Live within your means and make your house payments. After you've lived in your house for a while, your balance will be significantly less. No one but Steve thinks this area will be "ghetto."

By the way, Aurora is one of the biggest suburbs in America. So large that most people who live here actually qualify where they live because there is a huge difference between South Aurora, East Aurora, Central Aurora, etc. You live out by me. I live in SE Aurora and couldn't be happier here. It's a great area but relatively new. In a few years, the landscaping will fill in and it will be really nice. It's a quiet place to live for families, with relatively low crime, good schools and suburban amenities. Don't worry about the stigma of "Aurora." Most people could care less and once they see your house and neighborhood, they'll know you made a good decision.

Make your house your home and stop wondering "what if." We looked at Parker almost exclusively when we first started our house hunt but found it no better than the area we moved to. Plus, their school district, Douglas County is having to seriously redo their budget since their bond didn't pass. There was an article in the Denver Post recently about the district starting to "encourage" their senior teachers to retire because their salaries could pay for 2 new teachers. It's not rocket science to think about what happens to a school district which has consistently provided excellent results when they start getting rid of excellent teachers with seniority. Not a good idea.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solongSoCal View Post
We looked and your Cherry Creek SD it had great scores and the surrounding homes were all new.
By the way, Cherry Creek School District IS excellent. This is not to say that you can relinquish your role in teaching your children. My family is in the CCSD and couldn't be happier here. My daughter's elementary school offers numerous after school programs like a multi-cultural club, art club, science club, etc and she even has the opportunity to be in the marching band (in elementary school!). With all the talk about schools cutting every "extra" in order to pass the required No Students Left Behind requirements, I am happy to see that my daughter not only gets 2 recesses per day, but also goes to gym, art class, computer lab, and music class.

Cherry Creek SD residents passed a bond a few months ago, which according our Principal (who talked about it at last night's PTO meeting), is a godsend. The entire budget in Colorado has been hammered out, and no surprise, school budgets get cut first. CCSD had their budget seriously reduced as did all others. The biggest difference here (and the lifesaver) is the bond. Schools in Parker, under the Douglas County SD have to deal with the state cut as well as their lost bond election. Here is just a sample of an article written about that: 9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Douglas County Schools finalizes proposed cuts (http://www.9news.com/news/education/article.aspx?storyid=109748&catid=129 - broken link).

You made the right decision to be in CCSD but in order for your child to be truly successful, you've got to play a part in their education too. Don't forget to join the PTO and if possible, volunteer in your kids' classrooms once in a while. Parental involvement guarantees success no matter what school district you're in. Parental involvement AND a great school district will put your kid above the playing field and will only help them out in the end.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,284 times
I know this is a very old thread, but just found it when I googled "Tallyn's Reach". Did you end up moving to Tallyn's Reach? We are moving there in 2 months, from Texas, and I'm trying to find resources to meet neighbors. If you are in Tallyn's Reach, please let me know how you like it, and if there are any neighborhood groups we can join to meet people. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver