Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

In general most of Aurora I'd consider "bad." It's just an ugly, plain urban sprawl with a lot of low-income areas to steer clear of. Even the neighborhood we purchased in (ave: $300K at the time) went to sh()t. Someone could come here and say "What about this and that restaurant/neighborhood" and they might be right, there are some nice things here and there, but IN GENERAL it's just not a great place to live...this is my opinion only, likely not shared by everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 10:23 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
2. I call it Saudi Aurora because it is part of barren prairie all the way to Kansas City. Similar to the famous Empty Quarter.
The part of Aurora I live in is 800 feet above you Denver "flatlanders."

Quote:
3. A small part of Aurora is horrible. In fact, the worst section of all of greater Denver. It is small. Every city has crappy parts.
East Colfax is no picnic, but if you think it's the worst part of Denver you've obviously never been to Montbello, 5 Points, or Park Hill, or Swansea, or Globeville. Hell I can keep adding if ya like.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:03 AM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

East Colfax is no picnic, but if you think it's the worst part of Denver you've obviously never been to Montbello, 5 Points, or Park Hill, or Swansea, or Globeville. Hell I can keep adding if ya like.
Keep adding and we will tell you when something even comes close to being as bad as North Aurora.

So far you've named two working class neighborhoods with low crime, two gentrifying neighborhoods, and one neighborhood with a crime problem relative to the rest of Denver -albeit better than North Aurora- however it isn't blighted like North Aurora.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:21 AM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The part of Aurora I live in is 800 feet above you Denver "flatlanders."

Wait, you think that Park Hill is one of the worst parts of Denver?! I've lived there briefly and some of my friends from the nicer suburbs said they were jealous of me. We also have people from other parts of the city carpool to our neighborhood to trick or treat on Halloween. It is within close proximity to Colfax, though.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 AM

Park Hill is not that bad, there are parts of Park Hill with million dollar mansions and at a minimum that neighborhood is within walking distance to downtown Denver, can't say that about any parts of Aurora.

I would rank Montebello right up there with Aurora in terms of the very worst places in/around Denver to call home. I wouldn't live in either.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
The area I am in, very near to the Aurora Movie Tavern, is perfectly livable. Great schools, family-oriented, safe and very quiet, well, unless the neighborhood kids are playing outside.

It's no different than any large city - there are good areas and not-so-good areas. To paint the entire city with one wide brush is lazy, ignorant or both.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Sometimes, it is valid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
To paint the entire city with one wide brush is lazy, ignorant or both.
How about:
Lakeside
Bow Mar
Federal Heights
Mountain View
Columbine Valley
Foxfield
Garden City

I am pretty sure that you don't even need a wide brush for these cities.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
How about:
Lakeside
Bow Mar
Federal Heights
Mountain View
Columbine Valley
Foxfield
Garden City

What the heck do you mean, Dave? Painting Foxfield, Bow Mar and Columbine Valley with the same wide brush is close (large, expensive homes on large lots), but how do you include Federal Heights and Lakeside?

Please explain! Either things have changed DRASTICALLY since I was last in Federal Heights, or you need to back off of the drugs.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The area I am in, very near to the Aurora Movie Tavern, is perfectly livable. Great schools, family-oriented, safe and very quiet, well, unless the neighborhood kids are playing outside.

It's no different than any large city - there are good areas and not-so-good areas. To paint the entire city with one wide brush is lazy, ignorant or both.
Note my post said "IN GENERAL" - and I did indicate there were some decent parts of Aurora. But IN GENERAL, I'd never live there again due to the reasons I listed.

The area you live in is decent, for certain. But that is the exception vs. the rule.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Quote:
How about:
Lakeside
Bow Mar
Federal Heights
Mountain View
Columbine Valley
Foxfield
Garden City

To help people understand why many small areas can be painted with a narrow brush.
Lakeside - population 8
Bowmar - population 892
Federal Heights - population 11,794
Mountain view - population 512
Columbine Valley - population 1,301
Foxfield - population 714
Garden City - population 241

So yes you can paint most of these places with a pretty narrow brush.

Compare that to Aurora with 339,030 people. Aurora is more comparable to Denver with 634,265 people.

Denver median income - $47,371 (153 sq miles)
Aurora median income - $49,593 (Like Denver, Aurora has alot of really nice areas in its 142.5 square miles)
Lakeside medium income - $76,620 (.19 sqr miles)
Bowmar median income - $159,698 (.72 sqr miles)
Federal Heights median income - $33,528 (1.8 sqr miles)
Mountain View median income - $30,764 (.09 sqr miles)
Columbine Valley median income - $123,421 (1.02 sqr miles)
Foxfield median income - $102,621 (1.29 sqr miles)
Garden City median income - $18,864 (.11 sqr miles)

Just like Denver, Aurora has some bad areas and those seem to mostly border Denver bad areas. There are many nice areas in Aurora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver