Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 PM

785 posts, read 953,471 times

Advertisements

I'm a black male just turned 30 late last year just as a reference.

I noticed that the interracial dating scene here in Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins is very progressive here. I saw several black male / white women interracial couples and saw a few other interracial couple pairing while in each city.

It also seems that people here are more comfortable with themselves. When I initially came here I thought people here would be liberal of course but a bit pretentious about it. I didn't get that impression from here yet having talked to people here.

I live in San Antonio and you have to understand some areas of Texas have a certain mindset. I've been considering Austin TX which is seen as a 'progressive' city, but as some people have said on the Texas forum many of them preach that, but there is still a bit of racial discomfort between different races of people there. I wouldn't say I've gotten a lot of that but I can see where they are coming from in some of my experiences being there.

All in all I wanted to say that about Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:20 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Someone made that point about interracial couples to me a little while ago and I think I started paying attention after that. I hadn't noticed before I started paying attention, but there are quite a few. Most people just don't care.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times

Where are the white women at? - YouTube

Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Someone made that point about interracial couples to me a little while ago and I think I started paying attention after that. I hadn't noticed before I started paying attention, but there are quite a few. Most people just don't care.
Yeah that's what I noticed. In other parts of the US some people may notice.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
First of all, please get the notion that racism is confined to one side of the political spectrum out of your head right now. There are many racist 'progressives' and there are many non-racist conservatives.

IMO experience, black people who date white people are involved in mostly-white social circles. These are the people unfairly labeled 'Token Black' by white people and 'Uncle Tom' by black people. Very rarely do you see a white man or women dating inside a black social circle. I would say that xenophobia exists far more strongly in black social circles than in white ones.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM

833 posts, read 1,711,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
IMO experience, black people who date white people are involved in mostly-white social circles. These are the people unfairly labeled 'Token Black' by white people and 'Uncle Tom' by black people. Very rarely do you see a white man or women dating inside a black social circle. I would say that xenophobia exists far more strongly in black social circles than in white ones.
Xenophobia might be a little too strong of a word, but I get what you are saying.

For the over 35 crowd I think you are probably right, but being a white male over 35 I am probably just basing this off of my limited social circle. I do think the younger you are the less this is true; certainly for the under 25 crowd, but it still exists.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
IMO experience, black people who date white people are involved in mostly-white social circles. . . . Very rarely do you see a white man or women dating inside a black social circle. . . .
Is your experience from the perspective of an observer, or is your experience from the view of someone in a mixed relationship?

If you are a white observer, involved in mostly-white social circles, you will see them mostly in the mostly-white social circles, because that is where you socialize.

Have you also spent time in the black social circle, to be able to say very rarely do you see a white man or women dating inside a black social circle from personal experience?

Or is your experience as someone in a mixed relationship?

My family and friends are a motley crew, a mix of some of everyone; which color/ethnic/sexual identification is perceived as the dominant social circle often depends on whose social circle it was before the relationship began.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
First of all, please get the notion that racism is confined to one side of the political spectrum out of your head right now. There are many racist 'progressives' and there are many non-racist conservatives.

Regarding your post about racist progressives, certainly you see that. That's what I was alluding to about Austin. BTW I have several social circles. Some where I'm the "token" and some where I'm with other blacks or other minorities.

Again this is what I'm seeing having moved 10 times and lived in 6 states before 30. I've seen things mostly from an east coast and southern perspective. I think dating wise I'd do well here.

Also I disagree with you about white men who date black women. I've seen some that have been in black social circles...especially in Atlanta and Richmond

Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Denver does not have the same racial baggage that the rest of the country seems to have, so most people do not have a problem with interracial relationships. That is not to say that racial/ethnic problems don't exist, it's just that this part of the country saves its vitriol for Latinos.

Most often in interracial relationships, it is a black man dating a white woman, you sometimes see a black man dating a white man, and very rarely do you see a white man date a black woman. I have no explanation for this.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:51 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Denver does not have the same racial baggage that the rest of the country seems to have, so most people do not have a problem with interracial relationships. That is not to say that racial/ethnic problems don't exist, it's just that this part of the country saves its vitriol for Latinos.

Most often in interracial relationships, it is a black man dating a white woman, you sometimes see a black man dating a white man, and very rarely do you see a white man date a black woman. I have no explanation for this.
I have 3 friends in interracial relationships. 2 x black man/white woman, 1 x black man/white man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver