Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,224 times

Advertisements

I have recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition that affects my eyesight. For now, while going through treatment and until I beat this disease, I can’t drive. I can see pretty well, but I could lose eyesight at any point in time, so no driving for me! I am looking for a new place to live somewhere near Denver, but not in downtown Denver, and I’m looking for any input or advice anyone has.

A little about what I am hoping for and what I am used to: I grew up in a college town in California and moved to Fort Collins for college. Went to grad school in Boulder, where I currently live. I am self employed and work mostly in Denver area.

I have stayed in Boulder because I happen to have a great apartment for a really decent rent (a VERY rare thing in Boulder) and my elderly landlady is now selling the building and I need to move. (Yes, there are those of us in Boulder who are not super crazy off the wall people, but just ordinary folks who think Boulder is a little nutty, but a beautiful town to live in…)

It’s been an easy commute on the express bus from Boulder to Denver while I fight this eye disease, but now, I need to move in just a few weeks. The Boulder rental market is insane both in lack of availability and ridiculous prices, especially since the floods here this past fall. (Thereare typically 70 or more interested parties, and at least 30 or more applications, for the average studio or 1 bedroom apartment in Boulder.)

It’s time for me to get out of Boulder, and I’m just not sure where to go. I have looked into Broomfield or Lafayette, but I am finding it difficult to find a place close enough to the express bus that runs on Highway 36 to Denver from these communities. I am a small town country girl at heart, andI hope that once I get better and established more in my career that I will be able to live on a small farm… but I can’t drive right now until I get better and country living and needing to rely on public transit just don’t mix.

I need suggestions! Where I live in Boulder, I am spoiled, as I live within 7 blocks of the gym, grocery store, and the bus line to Denver. I’m guessing that finding something similar elsewhere might be a bit too hard? I have considered the Wash Park neighborhood, but it’s just too… urban… for my country girl heart. It’s too over stimulating for me to actually live there. I can handle working in downtown Denver, but living so close seems a bit too much.

I am considering trying to find aplace close to light rail in Littleton, or maybe even Golden, but the rental market appears to be intense in Golden as well. I’m not sure where to start but I need a smaller town than Denver, a cheaper place than Boulder, with the public transit of a college town… near Denver. This may be impossible to find, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-10-2014 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 02:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
You might look in Westminster in the area near the huge park n ride along 36. There are frequent express buses from there, and some of the neighborhoods near there are pretty walkable, with good trails and open space not far.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Budget?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
Maybe green mountain which has a call and ride service directly to the light rail?

I would also spend more time walking around the neighborhoods in denver. Wash park is not any more "stimulating" than any neighborhood in boulder. It just lacks the mountain views.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 6,224 times
Suzco - I will look westminster. That's a good idea. Think I will head down on the express on 36 and check out a few places.

Any suggestions of specific neighborhoods in Westminster by any chance?

Davebarnes - ideally, 900 or less. I pay 700 now in Boulder (a steal here). I am just starting off in my career, and health care co pays add up. In time I will be able to hopefully do more and eventually own my own place, but for now, then cheaper the better. I don't need anything more than the basics - I live in a 400 sq ft place now and it's tiny but works just fine for me. I figure most of what I really will be paying for is location.

Woob - I didn't even think of green mountain. Good suggestion. Thanks.

I just started looking into and occasionally using call and ride services. They are helpful but generally only run 8-5 M-F in Boulder County (and that really limits my work hours a little too much) but perhaps it is not so limited elsewhere. Maybe I need to keep thinking of other creative solutions... Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to check out all and ride services in other counties today and see what it is like. Maybe it will open more doors for me.

I will also go wander wash park this weekend and give it another try.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Baker neighborhood compared to Wash Park? Are they similar in feel and daily life?

I saw some places online in Littleton in "olde town Littleton" that don't seem to far from light rail. But being a single woman walking home... Is it relatively safe?

I have a service dog but she is much of a protector and someone who was high in Boulder did try to mug me with the dog (my self defense classes paid off) but that happened in broad daylight and I know is rare but I'm realizing safety is key.

I know that 5 points and most places east on colfax and north of 20th street are too rough of neighborhoods for me, but I'm not so sure what neighborhoods to avoid in other areas. Any thoughts are much welcome.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone! I hope someday I can live the life I hope to live on a small farm outside of the city, but for now, gotta make the best of this and I'm glad I found this forum to get some ideas and feedback.

Jane

Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
I would look along 38th Avenue.
The 38 bus runs every 1/2 hour or so.
Straight shot into downtown Denver.
Wheat Ridge is more country than Denver. And, cheaper.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
South Broadway or Santa Fe corridor down into Englewood/Littleton has access to transit to downtown and are walkable for your shopping needs.

Having lived in Englewood, and Littleton in these areas ... they neighborhoods are comparable for density as living in Boulder. The Olde Town Littleton area would likely be a good location for your needs.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:26 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Downtown Littleton might be a good place for you. The Colorado Center for the Blind is located near there, so the area is set up for visually impaired people to get around easily, and people in the area are used to seeing visually impaired people in the area. It is also safe.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 AM

556 posts, read 1,200,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeddd View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on the Baker neighborhood compared to Wash Park? Are they similar in feel and daily life?
I live in baker, there is much more nightlife (bars, restaurants, etc) and has a grittier feel than wash park (but not dangerous at all). I think you're going to have a tough time staying under $900 in either of these neighborhoods unless you are willing to get a roommate.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeddd View Post
I have recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition that affects my eyesight. For now, while going through treatment and until I beat this disease, I can’t drive. I can see pretty well, but I could lose eyesight at any point in time, so no driving for me! I am looking for a new place to live somewhere near Denver, but not in downtown Denver, and I’m looking for any input or advice anyone has.

A little about what I am hoping for and what I am used to: I grew up in a college town in California and moved to Fort Collins for college. Went to grad school in Boulder, where I currently live. I am self employed and work mostly in Denver area.

I have stayed in Boulder because I happen to have a great apartment for a really decent rent (a VERY rare thing in Boulder) and my elderly landlady is now selling the building and I need to move. (Yes, there are those of us in Boulder who are not super crazy off the wall people, but just ordinary folks who think Boulder is a little nutty, but a beautiful town to live in…)

It’s been an easy commute on the express bus from Boulder to Denver while I fight this eye disease, but now, I need to move in just a few weeks. The Boulder rental market is insane both in lack of availability and ridiculous prices, especially since the floods here this past fall. (Thereare typically 70 or more interested parties, and at least 30 or more applications, for the average studio or 1 bedroom apartment in Boulder.)

It’s time for me to get out of Boulder, and I’m just not sure where to go. I have looked into Broomfield or Lafayette, but I am finding it difficult to find a place close enough to the express bus that runs on Highway 36 to Denver from these communities. I am a small town country girl at heart, andI hope that once I get better and established more in my career that I will be able to live on a small farm… but I can’t drive right now until I get better and country living and needing to rely on public transit just don’t mix.

I need suggestions! Where I live in Boulder, I am spoiled, as I live within 7 blocks of the gym, grocery store, and the bus line to Denver. I’m guessing that finding something similar elsewhere might be a bit too hard? I have considered the Wash Park neighborhood, but it’s just too… urban… for my country girl heart. It’s too over stimulating for me to actually live there. I can handle working in downtown Denver, but living so close seems a bit too much.

I am considering trying to find aplace close to light rail in Littleton, or maybe even Golden, but the rental market appears to be intense in Golden as well. I’m not sure where to start but I need a smaller town than Denver, a cheaper place than Boulder, with the public transit of a college town… near Denver. This may be impossible to find, but does anyone have any suggestions?
How about north Englewood along Hampden Ave.? It's not Boulder but it should have most of what you need and it should be in your price range. Lots of bus options, 0, 0L, 12, 27, 35, plus the shuttle bus to the light rail station.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver