Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,624,751 times

Advertisements

If your job depends on this outcome of this, then you shouldn't be wasting your time asking a bunch of anonymous non-lawyers for what amounts to their own personal opinions. Some of us may have had experiences with courts or various county governments (you did say "county" in your original post), but that doesn't mean that we can give you legal advice. We can only tell you what happened to us in our particular situation (which may be different than yours).

You could try calling back and talking with a different court clerk. While they can't give you legal advice, they should at least explain their process to you and answer your "plea by email" questions.

Since you are worried that your present and/or future jobs depend on the outcome, then you can two choices:
1. find a cheap plane or train fare and show up in court on your court date. My personal experiences working for a city government is that you have an opportunity to meet with the prosecuting attorney prior to going before the judge, and that's where you work out a plea deal.
2. hit the phone book and find a local attorney who can represent you. This may end up costing you more than the above-mentioned plane/train fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 PM

4 posts, read 15,441 times
I really appreciate the feedback! Looks like I'll just have to financially suck it up and fly back to Aurora for the court date. I really don't want a criminal record, as I may not be able to complete my MSW internship if I do.

What's upsetting is that I was well down the road from the intersection, and the individual admitted to me that he merged into my lane after completing his u-turn. But he's out of the picture now, so it's my word against the cop who wrote the report. I'm also upset that both the officer and the Court clerk told me to plead guilty to the charge. Glad I sat on it and did some research first.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 15,441 times
Thanks so much for the feedback! I think I'll just have to suck it up and fly out for the court date. I really can't afford a criminal record if I work with at-risk youth, especially since in Michigan people will assume I got caught driving drunk...

I'm a little miffed that the officer and the court clerk both told me to plead guilty. I'm glad I waited and did some research on the topic first, it wasn't until today that I even found out it was a criminal issue.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:29 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,280,448 times
That really sucks.
I hate why a small incident like that need to go through all the hassle.
Just getting a ticket puts your job in jeopardy?
It's not like you got DUI. Everyone gets minor traffic tickets.

Also, I wonder if an out of state driving offense is even recorded.
I've had friends who had quite a few offenses in Texas and the insurance companies in CO didn't even found them and gave good insurance rates.
Anywho, best of luck! Hope a lesser deal works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: