Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM

23 posts, read 214,254 times

Advertisements

I tried searching in the forum with this topic, but didn't find any. For many of the long time Denver residents, can you comment on your thoughts on whether a person with heart condition is suitable to live in Denver? My hubby is going in for an open heart surgery to replace a defective valve. He will have a mechanical valve implanted and be on a blood thinner med for life. We are trying to research to see if Denver is still the right place for us to relocate to. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
You should talk to a medical professional about that--preferably one knowledgeable about altitude effects on the cardio-pulmonary system. There are plenty of people alive and well in Colorado who have had heart issues, but for someone relocating to Colorado's higher altitudes with existing heart issues, the adjustment time would almost certainly be longer, at the very least. The simple fact: there is just less oxygen in a given volume of atmosphere at higher altitude. One should also consider the fact that the altitude in Colorado can change more in a few miles than it does the whole way from the East Coast to Colorado. The change in altitude in short distances can also cause problems for some people.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I would ask his doctor. His doctor would know one here.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,157 times
Definitely consult with your doctor.

Anecdotally, my father, who has heart disease and shortness of breath, came out to visit over Christmas and had a very rough time, even with a Diamox prescription. From now on, I suspect that we will be spending the holidays at his house, which is at sea level.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM

23 posts, read 214,254 times
His doctors all said that he would be fine. I was just concerned b/c I've been hearing a lot of news lately about people having heart problems in colder weather. And with CO, it's high altitude and cold weather.
Thank you for your replies.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,186 times
Default one Lung

I was wondering the same thing about my mother who is traveling with us to Tahoe in March... she has one lung due to lung cancer, and her DR said she will be fine... I am worried about the oxygen level in Tahoe at about 6500 feet... since she already has shorten of breath whem exerting herself at sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver