U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 AM

202 posts, read 332,772 times

Advertisements

Why not an MA in urban/regional planning..I'm pretty sure that DU has a graduate urban/regional planning program as well as CU- Denver.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,970,965 times
While I do think most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be, sometimes people simply need a change.
There is nothing wrong with esya having poor opinions about Denver; there is nothing wrong with Aztec being very contented in the same city.

What Vegaspilgrim says here:
Quote:
There are certain people on the Colorado forum on city-data.com who hate Denver and think the place is a living hell, the next LA. I'm sure Denver was very different back in the 1950s, way before I was born. However, I think there's still a special unique feeling there, I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it feels like a special place-- like you're in a special club or something. That's why I wanted to ask the natives and other long time residents, just to make sure I'm not the one who's crazy.
Is the gist of the thread's discussion.
You're either in "the club" or you're not.
I never thought of Denver as a living hell, but I am certainly no longer in the club, and neither is esya.
Shiny Happy Denverites have no need to be defensive or feel sorry for us.
We are now in our own clubs.
Are we still able to offer valuable insight and advice to current and prospective Denverites?
I think so.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM

182 posts, read 636,865 times
Hi, vegaspilgrim. I'm a nearly forty year old native of Boulder. I've lived all over the U.S., and I love my hometown and the West. I liked California, the Midwest was ok, and I found the Mid Atlantic and the South absolutely soul sucking. Nice places to visit, but not livable for me. I haven't lived in New England, but have spent an awful lot of time there.

Some people just don't care that much where they are. Other people have deep ties to place- for some it's where they're born, for others it's a place they fall in love with later in life. After my husband and children, Boulder and the mountains are the love of my life. I love the climate, the geography, and the people. There's much more that I love, but you get the picture. Every time we travel, when we touch down at DIA, or catch our first glimpse of the mountains, I feel like I'm being embraced. If you love Denver and the West, I see no reason to fight it! Don't run from happiness.

You are in a wonderful position- finishing college without debt! Don't go rushing to grad school. Wait until there is something that you feel passionately about studying. Come home, but live with roomates (this can be almost as cheap as living at home, and I think you are right to wish to be independent). See if you can find a job that will give you a chance to explore your real estate interests. If you can't, find a decent job to pay the bills, and look for an internship. Spend a little money to travel- see a few places you haven't been. Keep yourself out of debt- debt limits options. I think within six months or a year, some direction will reveal itself to you. You'll know whether you want to go to grad school, and if so what you want to study.

Other posters have told you this, but don't worry about that English degree. Hardly anyone works in a field related to their major anymore, but that doesn't mean education is wasted. Education should be more than a path to a paycheck!

Your future is as wide open as the Western sky. Enjoy this time of freedom. And never think that you are crazy for loving this amazing place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver