Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
It is one of the fields that if you are currently unemployed, it is very difficult to find a position anywhere, let alone Colorado. Yes, many people come here with jobs in hand - they found their job here BEFORE they left their previous job.

It is all about having the *exact* skill an employer needs, at the *exact* time they need it. Someone who moves here blindly might find a job in a week, or they could apply for a position for which they are perfect, a week after it has been filled, and a year later they might still be looking.

I realize that, next week I'll be technically homeless, and will be living in hotel somewhere, might as well go somewhere that I have a better chance of finding an IT job than Florida. There are quite a bit more IT job postings in Denver than any of the major cities in Florida. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing the right thing looking at semi-IT heavy places like Denver and Austin, but my hotel money will last a lot longer in places like CO or TX than it will in more expensive, more IT heavy places like DC, Silicon Valley, and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
I'm in the very similar situation (CS degree, some experience, late 30s) and hope to move to Denver soon too, from SF Bay area. I understand that Denver gets a bunch of snow but I had lived in South Lake Tahoe (on top of Sierra Nevada aka "Snowy Mountains"), where snow piles get as tall as houses, driving RWD car all over the place all the time, including mountain highways. One thing you may not be able to get up the icy slope (iced sloping driveway not cleared previously) and will have to put up snow chains on your front tires to get out. Studded tires might be so expensive that if you have to buy them, you might be better off getting a used 4WD. I, personally, would move with my RWD car (which also had been driven all over DC/NY area before in winters) and then decide. Sounds like your car might have a special problem with instability, though (some cars have steering "wobble", etc, making them especially unstable).
Chains on the front tires of a RWD car? How does this work?

It is incredibly rare to see chains on a non commercial vehicle in Colorado. I know it is the norm in CA. People here drive Subarus. Smart people drive Subarus with snow tires. Studs are not necessary. The new rubber compounds do a great job on non studded winter tires in most situations. If you are during on glare ice a lot, nothing beat studs, but because we get so much sun here, snow melts quickly on the roads.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 PM

367 posts, read 420,978 times
Sorry, I meant on rear tires! I had put chains on all 4 tires when I was stuck down the slope as I had an extra pair--two pairs are even better than one. Yes, always carrying chains in CA mountains but only ever use if caught by a bad snowstorm on a highway, really... and remembering not to drive down icy slope if you would need to go back up...Chains are for emergency situation only, they damage both tires and roads, so most places do not want people to drive around in chains. In CA, highway patrol will often make you remove the chains way before snowstorm is over.

Last edited by Usrname; 02-05-2014 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 06:36 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
I'm in the very similar situation (CS degree, some experience, late 30s) and hope to move to Denver soon too, from SF Bay area. I understand that Denver gets a bunch of snow but I had lived in South Lake Tahoe (on top of Sierra Nevada aka "Snowy Mountains"), where snow piles get as tall as houses, driving RWD car all over the place all the time, including mountain highways. One thing you may not be able to get up the icy slope (iced sloping driveway not cleared previously) and will have to put up snow chains on your front tires to get out. Studded tires might be so expensive that if you have to buy them, you might be better off getting a used 4WD. I, personally, would move with my RWD car (which also had been driven all over DC/NY area before in winters) and then decide. Sounds like your car might have a special problem with instability, though (some cars have steering "wobble", etc, making them especially unstable).

When you said "IT" you should post specific area and skills as it's all depends, IT is a huge "area". I, myself, would like to hear answers to your question #3 (my own stuff is Java, C++, Python and test skills). I'm guessing 70K is quite common for someone with several years of experience in Denver, but I might be wrong.
Depending on your experience you could easily make over $100,000 here as a developer.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM

367 posts, read 420,978 times
I looked at Indeed's salary search and it gives me average salaries for Denver as: software developer/engineer 84K, software quality assurance engineer 73K, system administrators/IT 66-70K (various administrators--network, database, OS, salesforce, etc) , and 100K looks like software architect/principal salary (averaging 95K). From experience in Bay area, their calulators do reflect reality (at least for SF Bay area) and one can pretty much expect offers around their numbers, as soon they offer within market values...

Last edited by Usrname; 02-05-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
I looked at Indeed's salary search and it gives me average salaries for Denver as: software developer/engineer 84K, software quality assurance engineer 73K, system administrators/IT 66-70K (various administrators--network, database, OS, salesforce, etc) , and 100K looks like software architect/principal salary (averaging 95K). From experience in Bay area, their calulators do reflect reality (at least for SF Bay area) and one can pretty much expect offers around their numbers, as soon they offer within market values...
Looks like I am getting over paid then.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM

13 posts, read 39,756 times
Hello, I am looking to move to Denver from Florida also. I would be looking to rent a 3 bedroom house or townhouse preferably. I noticed that the rent in Denver is kind of high. Sites like HotPads are nothing but scams and I'm not sure if I trust Craigslist either. I am looking to pay no more then $1200 for the 3br. I've seen a few for that price online, but I'm not sure of the neighborhoods. I have heard that Aurora is an "ok" neighborhood as most of the places I can afford are there. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? I might just have to take a flight out there, rent a car and check out all the neighborhoods and rental properties myself. I really dont want to live in an apartment again. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in Tampa and I pay $1100 for 3/2 stand alone house with a den and fireplace. I doubt I will find something like that in Denver, but here's hoping. Does anyone know a good rental agency or site to look up legit rental properties?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 PM

254 posts, read 513,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
For the time being, the Denver area has a decent train system that goes pretty much all over.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but think the "all over" statement is an exaggeration. See RTD for details.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeHLH View Post
I am looking to pay no more then $1200 for the 3br.
Try Padmapper.com and use the filters.
Denver's vacancy rate is close to an all time low.
Rents have been increasing at 10%/yr.
I think you will have to increase your budget by $300.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeHLH View Post
Hello, I am looking to move to Denver from Florida also. I would be looking to rent a 3 bedroom house or townhouse preferably. I noticed that the rent in Denver is kind of high. Sites like HotPads are nothing but scams and I'm not sure if I trust Craigslist either. I am looking to pay no more then $1200 for the 3br. I've seen a few for that price online, but I'm not sure of the neighborhoods. I have heard that Aurora is an "ok" neighborhood as most of the places I can afford are there. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? I might just have to take a flight out there, rent a car and check out all the neighborhoods and rental properties myself. I really dont want to live in an apartment again. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood in Tampa and I pay $1100 for 3/2 stand alone house with a den and fireplace. I doubt I will find something like that in Denver, but here's hoping. Does anyone know a good rental agency or site to look up legit rental properties?
Aurora is a city, not a neighborhood. It's actually a very large city. There are good parts and bad parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver