Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:09 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Just curious is there Polish or Jewish centric neighborhood or suburb in Denver? an area with polish or Jewish deli's and Jewish or polish restaurant or a nice place or bar that I could walk in an order a Zywiec? or are the polish or Jewish people just spread all around? I know I probably won't find anything like you do in the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
You won't really find a polish neighborhood here.

There are a few polish restaurants/bars I've been to:
Polished Tavern (downtown, my favorite option)
Belvedere (also downtown)
Kinga's Lounge (interesting crowd at night, food is rough but plenty of polish beer)

There's a polish market on Colorado Blvd somewhere between Evans and Hampden that I've been to, but can't remember the name of...

I haven't found any sort of jewish deli.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:36 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
The old Polish section of Denver was centered around St. Jozef Polish Church near Washington St. and I-70 by the Denver Coliseum. The church still serves as a center for Poles, but I don't think that the neighborhood is very Polish any more.

For Polish food, try these spots: Top Polish Food in Denver. I cannot vouch for them, but they might have what you want.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:38 PM

331 posts, read 465,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I haven't found any sort of jewish deli.
Here you go, on Hampden just east of I-25, tucked away in a strip shopping center: The Bagel Deli.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,956 times
Ah, thought that place was a chain. I've been to a place by the same name in Chicago.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
Here you go, on Hampden just east of I-25, tucked away in a strip shopping center: The Bagel Deli.
Very good. I also like Deli Zone, though it don't think it qualifies as a Jewish deli.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 PM

331 posts, read 465,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
Ah, thought that place was a chain. I've been to a place by the same name in Chicago.
Nope. Not a chain. Local family-owned for a few decades now.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Hilltop is the biggest Jewish neighborhood in Denver. I like The Bagel as mentioned above.

I also love Zaidy's. Zaidy's, Best Deli in Denver.

Billiken, you must not have been here, because this is a Jewish deli through and through.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:06 PM

346 posts, read 482,313 times
New York Deli News on E Hampden isn't bad. The Bagel Deli is by far the best in town, and was featured as one of the nation's best on Food Network a few years ago.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
I thought this post was interesting and now I only post to that which I find that I can contribute, well. The best place to find Polish food in Denver is Sawa Sausage Meat and Sausage Sawa Sausage International Grocery Store and European Market

Just a little information on the side, Sawa in Wheat Ridge at 32nd and Wadsworth is next door to a Sicilian Pastry Shop
Dolce Sicilia Bakery :: 3210 Wadsworth Blvd., Wheat Ridge, CO 80033. I go often to these two places and stuff my face. The pictures of the two hearty butchers on the Sawa Website could just about be me, albeit a little older! Yea, I know someone is going to say, who is familiar with this area, that these two places share a little strip mall with the office for a Crematorium--well, what can I say--Eat well and Die well!

There is a Polish Club in Denver on West Alameda Polish Club of Denver - Polski Klub w Denver Through that organization you can find contacts with Polish culture, churches and events in this area.

With respect, about the comment about the word Delicatessen as only used for German food. Even though the word is of German origin, meaning delicate food or eating It does not necessarily mean that the word in not used or appropriate in many countries or cultures or application for food in other countries. It is certainly used across Europe and the world. Many words migrate and meanings evolve from the area of origin. The word is certainly well known in Poland as Poland and Germany share a border and many of the cities and areas have changed national control over many years. There are many words used for all kinds of food that originated from one area that are used all over the world.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver