Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:11 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,765 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a lot of research on where I should move next that'll fit my personality a little more than where I've been living (Connecticut/NYC). The more research I do, the more signs keep pointing to Denver. I've never been, but from what I've read it sounds very appealing to me. I'm going to tell you a little bit about myself and my interests. Please let me know if you think Denver would be a good fit.

I'm a 28-year old woman, very laid back as far as my personality goes, but I'm also a go-getter when it comes to going after my goals. I am adaptable, as I've lived all over the world and have also worked different careers such as film production, sales/retail in management, and childcare. I most recently was working in film production in NY and I would consider working in film in CO, but it just doesn't seem like the scene is very big there? Maybe I'm wrong? But I would be willing to change careers and go into something in the health/fitness field, since I'm very passionate about that. I'm the kind of person who works to live, not lives to work. I am interested in doing an adult sport league for soccer and maybe also get involved with a local cycling club. I am a pescetarian (a vegetarian who eats fish). I am big into beer and love bars with tons of taps, and also love brewery tours. I like cities with walkability, but I also love to drive too. In the winter I really enjoy being outdoors in the snow - showshoe-ing, snowboarding, and ice skating. In the summer I love to go swimming, kayaking, hiking, running outdoors, cycling, etc. Pretty much I love being outdoors as much as I can. As far as what I like in a home/apartment, I'd want to live in a safe area where I wouldn't have any problem with walking by myself in the evenings. I like smaller cottage-like houses with character, or if it's an apartment, something newer with lots of natural light is preferred. Would be nice to live in an area where I can walk to local restaurants and bars, and access to a bike path would be awesome, but it's not a deal-breaker.

What do you think? Could Denver be for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Without a doubt.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 AM

331 posts, read 465,595 times
I don't know if you'd love Denver, but with the positive and adaptable attitude expressed in your post, I bet Denver would love you!

Sorry for that digression, but I enjoyed reading what you wrote. (A refreshing change from some not-so-positive "where should I live" posts I encountered recently in other areas of the CD forums.)

Back to the topic. Yep. Denver's a good place for people who like sports and being outdoors - in all seasons. It has a lot of microbreweries and a lot of recent development in the Lower Downtown - Central Platte Valley area including rentals.

I'm a lot older than you so can't discuss, from first hand knowledge, many of the issues you raised. So I'll now shut up and give people who know a lot more than I do, a chance to respond to your message.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
I don't know if you'd love Denver, but with the positive and adaptable attitude expressed in your post, I bet Denver would love you!

Sorry for that digression, but I enjoyed reading what you wrote. (A refreshing change from some not-so-positive "where should I live" posts I encountered recently in other areas of the CD forums.)

Back to the topic. Yep. Denver's a good place for people who like sports and being outdoors - in all seasons. It has a lot of microbreweries and a lot of recent development in the Lower Downtown - Central Platte Valley area including rentals.

I'm a lot older than you so can't discuss, from first hand knowledge, many of the issues you raised. So I'll now shut up and give people who know a lot more than I do, a chance to respond to your message.

Good luck!
Thanks a bunch for your insight.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,858 times
I don't know you, but when I get to Denver, we should be friends!

Seriously though, I'm subbing to this thread. Your post sounds exactly like me and what I'm looking for in Denver. Except I like red meat.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Yeah, you belong here. "Cottage-like houses with character" with all the amenities close by is old Littleton.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Yeah, you belong here. "Cottage-like houses with character" with all the amenities close by is old Littleton.
Thank you! Will check this out.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM

367 posts, read 421,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
A refreshing change from some not-so-positive "where should I live" posts I encountered recently in other areas of the CD forums.)
Yeah...back when we all were 28, we all were positive and wide-eyed about possibilities of moving to places unknown...and many other things, along the way.

But after it goes like this: =>=>=>=>
or like this: =>=>
a few times
there's a perspective change.

Last edited by Usrname; 02-10-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
Yeah...back when we all were 28, we all were positive and wide-eyed about possibilities of moving to places unknown...and many other things, along the way.

But after it goes like this: =>=>=>=>
or like this: =>=>
a few times
there's a perspective change.
I've lived all over... Europe, NYC, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Connecticut, Texas. I know no place is perfect. All places have their issues. It's all about your outlook though! I'm not the kind of person to be like "I'm not happy here... But I know it's PERFECT in Denver and all my problems will go away when I get there!" But, I believe there are places that certain personality types will like better than others, because there are more opportunities to do things that the person loves, or because the general population has the same personality type. Hence why I'm seeking advice to see if people think Denver would be good for me. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM

704 posts, read 1,792,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
I've lived all over... Europe, NYC, New Hampshire, Louisiana, Connecticut, Texas. I know no place is perfect. All places have their issues. It's all about your outlook though! I'm not the kind of person to be like "I'm not happy here... But I know it's PERFECT in Denver and all my problems will go away when I get there!" But, I believe there are places that certain personality types will like better than others, because there are more opportunities to do things that the person loves, or because the general population has the same personality type. Hence why I'm seeking advice to see if people think Denver would be good for me. Thanks.
There is probably no city on earth where "the general population has the same personality type." If you are looking for a place to fit you like a glove, you'll spend the rest of your life looking for it. I'm from here and I still feel like a stranger sometimes. Assuming that a city has a single personality assumes that we're all alike, and while Denver is ethnically very homogenous, there are still all sorts of different folks here. Most of the people I know here don't share your interests, but I still know OF a lot of others in Denver who do. The same could be said for Grand Rapids or Seattle or anywhere else.

You may like it here or you may not.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-11-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: