Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,199 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in our mid-20's and have moved around quite a bit. We really want to settle down somewhere but can't decide where. I did some research and I'm thinking Denver may be a good fit, but I've never been so I need your help! Currently we are living on Oahu, HI and moved here from Orange County, CA. Both of us are from the east coast though-I'm from Pennsylvania and he's from Maryland and we miss having seasons. We like outdoor activities, sunshine, socializing, culture, laid-back atmosphere, and I enjoy shopping, but we can't seem to find a spot that captures everything. California was too gloomy, Hawaii is too far from our family/friends, and we don't know where to go from here. He's lived in Jackson Hole, Wy before, but we don't think there will be jobs if we went back there. Help me out with a few things:

Does Denver feel like a big city or small town?

If you live outside of the city, how long is the commute in for work?

What would be a good area to look in to?

Is it easy for a transplant to fit in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
A: Big city if in the main part of town. Gets more typically suburban the further from city center.

A: From 20-60 minutes, depending on distance. Twice that for snow days. What type of work will be looking for. Consider the light rail system.

A: Lots of nice areas. IMO the west side of I-25, out towards Golden. Look at padmapper.com for an idea on rentals.

A: Yes, most of the people are transplants.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:05 PM

39 posts, read 66,016 times
There is nothing "modern" feeling here. For a city this size its pretty lame as far as any night life unless youre downtown. And once you leave downtown, it sucks pretty bad. Suburbs are not a place for you if u want things to do. Boring, ugly, jobs are hard to get. Going into the mountains is farther than I thought it woule be. I thought there would be a lot of cool little mountain towns everywhere. Theres not. For younger people I would recommend elsewhere, but thats just me. Its colder here in the winter than I thought it would be. Compare the lows as well as the average highs if weather is something youre looking for. Winter is long and it snows a lot. I wouldnt care so much if it meant it wasnt brown ALL the time. Ohhh, and if youre used to good food (especially mexican food) youre SOL here. Good luck in your search. Sorry if I sound too negative, but I wish I wouldve had someone tell me these things before I moved here.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,583,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray0914 View Post
My boyfriend and I are in our mid-20's and have moved around quite a bit. We really want to settle down somewhere but can't decide where. I did some research and I'm thinking Denver may be a good fit, but I've never been so I need your help! Currently we are living on Oahu, HI and moved here from Orange County, CA. Both of us are from the east coast though-I'm from Pennsylvania and he's from Maryland and we miss having seasons. We like outdoor activities, sunshine, socializing, culture, laid-back atmosphere, and I enjoy shopping, but we can't seem to find a spot that captures everything. California was too gloomy, Hawaii is too far from our family/friends, and we don't know where to go from here. He's lived in Jackson Hole, Wy before, but we don't think there will be jobs if we went back there. Help me out with a few things:

Thanks!
I live in south Texas. I too wanted seasons until this winter.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:08 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
It feels like a big city, but not a crappy one.

For instance, you won't get reamed on parking as bad as you do in Chicago. There is traffic, but it won't compare to the traffic in other 10 destinations. Rent is more expensive, but again, lower compared to most major cities that are not in Texas.

Given that you've moved to so many places, odds are the next one you to move to, no matter where it is, will not be the last one. Transplants fit right in. It looks like you've lived in some pretty nice places, and Denver is no exception to the list of nice places.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:07 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray0914 View Post

Big city when you're near the core. You can get a better small town feel in some of the surrounding communities (Golden, Littleton, Stapleton, Lowry). That's what I like most about Metro Denver; the diversity of the metro area. In many metro areas, the outlying suburbs can feel like never-ending sprawl. In Denver's metro, most of the outlying cities have a very unique feel about them.

10 miles - about 15-20 mins

20 miles - about 35-40 mins

Traffic can get pretty heavy around rush hour, but not insane like Chicago or NYC. They keep expanding the highways and public transit systems here, which is good. I hear that ten years ago was pretty nightmarish around here.

Depends on where you end up working. Most younger people prefer neighborhoods like Uptown, Cap Hill, Lodo, Ballpark, Wash Park, and (Denver) University.

Yes, most people I know here are transplants.

Thanks!
See above

Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodgers_3 View Post
There is nothing "modern" feeling here. For a city this size its pretty lame as far as any night life unless youre downtown. And once you leave downtown, it sucks pretty bad. Suburbs are not a place for you if u want things to do. Boring, ugly, jobs are hard to get. Going into the mountains is farther than I thought it woule be. I thought there would be a lot of cool little mountain towns everywhere. Theres not. For younger people I would recommend elsewhere, but thats just me. Its colder here in the winter than I thought it would be. Compare the lows as well as the average highs if weather is something youre looking for. Winter is long and it snows a lot. I wouldnt care so much if it meant it wasnt brown ALL the time. Ohhh, and if youre used to good food (especially mexican food) youre SOL here. Good luck in your search. Sorry if I sound too negative, but I wish I wouldve had someone tell me these things before I moved here.
Out of curiosity, where did you move from? Most of what I read is pro-denver, so I am intrigued when I see a post like this. What do you think is the reason you had a wrong impression?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,670 times
Does Denver feel like a big city or small town? Very relative. Small city (not town) compared to NYC/Chicago, otherwise it's decent. Middle-size, if you will.

If you live outside of the city, how long is the commute in for work? Depends entirely on where you are, where you work, and what time you come and go. Impossible to say, otherwise. Coming from Chicago, the amount of traffic surprised me. (There's a lot.)

What would be a good area to look in to? For mid-20's, I'd look at LoDo/LoHi and maybe Uptown and City Park areas. Cherry Creek is nice but requires the right personality, same with University and DTC (which may decrease your commute, given you don't work downtown).

Is it easy for a transplant to fit in? Oh, yeah. Colorado natives are very proud, but in speaking to people in public, it seems like everyone is from somewhere. CO natives almost seem like a minority until you get back on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver