Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,224 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

So my boyfriend recently was accepted into one of the medical science programs at CU Denver and will be at the Anschutz Medical Campus and we are pretty excited about the possibility of moving to Denver.

Right now we are living in San Francisco and I am graduating with my masters in college student personnel counseling this May. While looking at position postings at the local universities in Denver it seems that those with these positions get paid significantly less than what people with the same positions in California get paid. I looked up the data for the average salary in student affairs/educational counseling for both states and in California these positions are getting paid double, a difference between about $30-35k and 60-65k! I know our cost of living is very different, but I didn't think the pay difference would be THAT big, even in smaller cities here you can expect to start off between 40-45k.

I was wondering if anyone working in the field had some insights into these numbers, is this really what people are getting paid or do you see it more in the 40s or possibly 50s? In general do you find it difficult to get by on this kind of income, especially if you are trying to pay back loans(which will be my main priority while he is working on his degree)? Is landing a job particularly difficult and/or do you find it difficult to move up over time?

I know it's a lot of questions but I have no sense of reference except from what I have experienced here in California and I would love to know more about what I'm getting myself into. Any insights will be extremely helpful, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM

17,692 posts, read 29,696,842 times
Jobs pay less in greater Denver because educated young people keep moving.
Supply and demand.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,678,803 times
Seems about right. One of my best friends works in higher ed administration and got her degree a year ago. The pay is not glamorous. It took her 6 months to find a job and she was willing to move just about anywhere.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
Are you sure your figures are right for California? I work in higher ed (in a branch that's typically higher paid than student affairs) and even in SF with 4 years of experience, I would be topping out at 60K but would expect closer to 50. Here in Boston (which is only about 10% cheaper than SF), fresh student affairs masters grads can expect about 35 -40K to start - less if it's a residential position. Most of our recent administrative assistants hold masters in higher ed or student affairs.

Denver is another location I am itching to relocate to, and the market there is a bit harder to break into than Boston (fewer schools) and the pay is a little less (but not as much less as you would think).

It's a field you go into because you love it, not because you want to make money unfortunately.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM

322 posts, read 524,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA1103 View Post
Hi There!

So my boyfriend recently was accepted into one of the medical science programs at CU Denver and will be at the Anschutz Medical Campus and we are pretty excited about the possibility of moving to Denver.

Right now we are living in San Francisco and I am graduating with my masters in college student personnel counseling this May. While looking at position postings at the local universities in Denver it seems that those with these positions get paid significantly less than what people with the same positions in California get paid. I looked up the data for the average salary in student affairs/educational counseling for both states and in California these positions are getting paid double, a difference between about $30-35k and 60-65k! I know our cost of living is very different, but I didn't think the pay difference would be THAT big, even in smaller cities here you can expect to start off between 40-45k.

I was wondering if anyone working in the field had some insights into these numbers, is this really what people are getting paid or do you see it more in the 40s or possibly 50s? In general do you find it difficult to get by on this kind of income, especially if you are trying to pay back loans(which will be my main priority while he is working on his degree)? Is landing a job particularly difficult and/or do you find it difficult to move up over time?

I know it's a lot of questions but I have no sense of reference except from what I have experienced here in California and I would love to know more about what I'm getting myself into. Any insights will be extremely helpful, thank you!
I asked my husband, who works at CU. He says that $35-40K is typical for entry level positions, though it is possible to earn over $40K starting. The public schools typically pay staff members more, while privates will pay staff less. However, the privates are able to provide very nice benefits. CU publishes all employee salaries here - Accountability Data Center | University of Colorado.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 17,332 times
Hi TA,

We've got a fair amount in common. I work in higher ed admin (though in a different branch). I used to live in CO, now live in norcal, and am contemplating a move back to Colorado. I know that if we move back my salary will take a significant hit.

I make 61k here, and my guess is that the equivalent job in Denver would pay 50k. I've noticed that there does seem to be a particularly wide variance in the advising/student support type jobs that you are looking for. I work at a UC, and I think a lot of those intro jobs pay in the low 40s, but there's definitely the possibility of getting up into the 50s and 60s if you work into a higher level position or one with managerial duties.

When I've looked at employment listings for some of the bigger Colorado schools (Boulder, CSU, auraria campus), I've been shocked at how low some of the advising/counseling jobs are paying--I've seen some at around $17 an hour.

Sorry to be bringing the bad news, but I can share your pain. Expect a significant salary decrease if you relocate. I think the Cal schools just generally pay better even adjusting for cost of living variance.

My guess is that your earning potential will be better if you find a student support position in a graduate or professional program (health sciences, etc). The work gets more sophisticated and specialized at that level.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 17,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
I asked my husband, who works at CU. He says that $35-40K is typical for entry level positions, though it is possible to earn over $40K starting. The public schools typically pay staff members more, while privates will pay staff less. However, the privates are able to provide very nice benefits. CU publishes all employee salaries here - Accountability Data Center | University of Colorado.
I second the first part of what you're saying (see my post above), but I don't necessarily know if the public/private distinction you're trying to draw will hold water. I've worked at publics and privates, and I'm guessing the jobs I've had at private institutions wouldn't pay markedly better at a public university. Also, I wouldn't necessarily that the privates always offer better benefits. Health and retirement benefits may be better at a public. That has to be evaluated on a case by case basis. The one benefit a private university will generally be much better at offering to staff is tuition remission for children. That may or may not be relevant to the OP depending upon whether she has kids and foresees staying in the job until they're 18.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:26 PM

434 posts, read 1,116,325 times
Wow, I'm thrilled for you that this thread is getting attention.

I was a student affairs professional for years back East. I quit because of the long, ridiculous hours and low pay. And I LOVED it - I mean really, really LOVED it. But when I had children I couldn't justify so much time away from them for so little pay.

Now I'm a lobbyist for a commercial trade association (non-profit coalition of businesses) - a lot of the leadership skills are transferrable. The professional society for association management (similar to NASPA or ACPA but for people who work for associations) is ASAE. ASAE is the national organization, CSAE is the CO chapter.

Check them out and I'm happy to chat further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver