Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty-Mill View Post
Entering an intersection when the light is yellow is illegal. It's up to the discretion of the officer to determine if you had enough time to stop. I entered the intersection when the light was yellow, but had enough time to stop.
Entering an intersection in Colorado on yellow is not illegal.

What was your ticket really for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:
Entering an intersection when the light is yellow is illegal.
Do you have a reference for this?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 PM

214 posts, read 260,254 times
No, can't find one. I was pulled over about 7 or 8 years ago for the same thing and given a warning. Cop told me he could legally write me a ticket as long as my tires entered the intersection when the light was yellow. He might have been full of ****, although he could argue that I was ignoring the yellow light warning by continuing through the intersection when I had time to stop.

The yellow light legal info for Colorado/Denver is vague. The ticket was for "Disobedience to Traffic Signals".

One thing I am curious about is how he could even tell when my car entered the intersection. He was at a 90 degree angle to me. He had to look left to see the light and look right to see when my car entered the intersection. I do know that the light turned red before I completed through the intersection. I stopped at a customer site very close to the intersection and heard the cop pulling over someone else minutes later. He must have been trying to ticket as many people in as short of a time as possible.

The ticket was 4 points for not having my insurance info with me (I have insurance), 4 points for going through the light, and he checked that it was a construction zone.

On the bottom of the ticket he wrote 11 points which doesn't really make any sense. The 11 kind of looks like a 4, maybe he wrote 4? He then x'ed out the bottom part of the ticket and told me I needed to go to court to get the insurance thing dismissed. Also, I can't read the day part of the court date, it kind of looks like a 16 or an 11.

I am absolutely not going to fight it. If you fight a traffic ticket and loose you get charged court costs on top of the full ticket and you loose all the points. I would rather plea to a lessor charge.

For the past week I have been slamming on my brakes whenever the light turns yellow.

Last edited by Dirty-Mill; 02-22-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
No, can't find one. I was pulled over about 7 or 8 years ago for the same thing and given a warning. Cop told me he could legally write me a ticket as long as my tires entered the intersection when the light was yellow. He might have been full of ****, although he could argue that I was ignoring the yellow light warning by continuing through the intersection when I had time to stop.

The yellow light legal info for Colorado/Denver is vague. The ticket was for "Disobedience to Traffic Signals".

One thing I am curious about is how he could even tell when my car entered the intersection. He was at a 90 degree angle to me. He had to look left to see the light and look right to see when my car entered the intersection. I do know that the light turned red before I completed through the intersection. I stopped at a customer site very close to the intersection and heard the cop pulling over someone else minutes later. He must have been trying to ticket as many people in as short of a time as possible.

The ticket was 4 points for not having my insurance info with me (I have insurance), 4 points for going through the light, and he checked that it was a construction zone.

On the bottom of the ticket he wrote 11 points which doesn't really make any sense. The 11 kind of looks like a 4, maybe he wrote 4? He then x'ed out the bottom part of the ticket and told me I needed to go to court to get the insurance thing dismissed. Also, I can't read the day part of the court date, it kind of looks like a 16 or an 11.

I am absolutely not going to fight it. If you fight a traffic ticket and loose you get charged court costs on top of the full ticket and you loose all the points. I would rather plea to a lessor charge.

For the past week I have been slamming on my brakes whenever the light turns yellow.
As others have pointed out, driving through a yellow light is not illegal. Zero points for that. This is what you were sighted for:

Failure to observe traffic sign or signal ................4 points.
Failure to maintain or show proof of insurance.......4 points.

And probably:

Driving through safety zone................................3 points.

That would be 11 points total.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 PM

214 posts, read 260,254 times
Are any of you lawyers?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
The one ticket I got in Denver in 10 years I showed up and they took speeding down to malfunctioning lights and less points, but it was reported to insurance.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Are any of you lawyers?
No, but I can tell you Martino did a good job of exposing photo radar as the scam it is. Get one of those, deny it was you in photo, good to go. They aren't legal anyway.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Are any of you lawyers?
No, but some people actually study the Driver Handbook.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:22 PM

399 posts, read 817,175 times
That's odd. Boulder and Lafayette traffic violation tickets have the reason why the police stopped you and what you did wrong stated right on the ticket somewhere. The Denver police don't use the same or a similar kind of traffic ticket format?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The one ticket I got in Denver in 10 years I showed up and they took speeding down to malfunctioning lights and less points, but it was reported to insurance.
And insurance companies are smart - they know that malfunctioning lights are really moving violations that were pleaded down and rate them accordingly.

Speaking of yellow lights/red lights, what about the intersections where you are turning left and you actually enter the intersection on green arrow and it turns from yellow to red before you are through the intersection? Any opinions on those? Especially ones with the red light radar? Do they only trigger if you cross the line after red is turned? Especially the bigger intersections like Littleton Blvd/Broadway, Santa Fe/Bowles, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver