Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:31 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yep. My sister makes about $10/hr and her fiance makes about $14/hr. They have a 3-y/o girl. They bought a nice 3-BR house with a basement, garage, and pool in Metro Detroit for about $95k (and less than 5% down). My cousin who works at Krogers (King Soopers out here) and makes about $15/hr is looking to buy soon. It's a beautiful thing when you can do that.

I make $66k/yr living in Denver and home ownership will probably not be a possibility for me for several years. Gotta love that COL out here.
You couldn't give me a $100,000 house to live in Detroit. It's the epitome of urban decay and St. Louis proper is running a close 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,988 times
I honestly would not live in Detroit if the city PAID for my home. Me and many others. Have you been there lately?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
It's all about desirability. Nobody wants to live in Detroit, everyone wants to live here
This is not Detroit proper I'm talking about. It's the suburbs. Much nicer, safer.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You couldn't give me a $100,000 house to live in Detroit. It's the epitome of urban decay and St. Louis proper is running a close 2nd.
As I commented to Snikt, these are not homes in Detroit proper. These are in the suburbs, in on of the richest counties in the nation. These are nice, safe neighborhoods. I'd compare them to Thornton/Westminster.

There are also some very nice neighborhoods in Detroit proper that would give the best of Denver a run for its money.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I honestly would not live in Detroit if the city PAID for my home. Me and many others. Have you been there lately?
Yes, not only did I grow up there, I lived there for the past seven months while I was on "hiatus" from Denver.

Not ALL of it is as bad as reported. Particularly not in the suburbs. There are also some nice neighborhoods in the city.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:52 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Yes, not only did I grow up there, I lived there for the past seven months while I was on "hiatus" from Denver.

Not ALL of it is as bad as reported. Particularly not in the suburbs. There are also some nice neighborhoods in the city.
The problem with urban decay is that it can't be contained. St. Louis is having to ship public school students to the suburbs because their schools are so lousy they're losing their accreditation. That in turn affects the desirability of the suburban schools and has a negative impact on housing prices in the suburbs.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The problem with urban decay is that it can't be contained. St. Louis is having to ship public school students to the suburbs because their schools are so lousy they're losing their accreditation. That in turn affects the desirability of the suburban schools and has a negative impact on housing prices in the suburbs.
I can't argue with that, because it's definitely been an issue with Metro Detroit, particularly the inner-ring suburbs. But the metro is supposedly on the rebound. Detroit is looking much nicer (re-gentrified) than it did when I moved out more than five years ago. You know what they say, buy low.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The problem is that it takes an awful lot of people working to conserve to make a difference. I'd love to yank out my lawn, but it would be foolish to do so from a financial perspective. In the next few years, I'll have three kids in college, so I simply do not have the money available to xeriscape. This is the situation facing many of my neighbors who live in forty-year-old homes on medium to large lots already planted to the fence line with water-hogging sod, shrubs, and trees. If I were building a new home, I'd definitely xeriscape, but it would be prohibitively expensive to do so for an older home with an established landscape. In general, though, I definitely agree. Residential developers would be wise to spec homes with small, xeriscaped lots and water-savvy appliances, because there simply isn't enough water available to support an increasing Front Range population.
I hear you. We have the same problems. However, you can take out a little bit of grass and xeriscape, say, a corner. Planting trees is always a good idea, even if you do have to water them until they're established, b/c they provide some natural shading and cooling.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I hear you. We have the same problems. However, you can take out a little bit of grass and xeriscape, say, a corner. Planting trees is always a good idea, even if you do have to water them until they're established, b/c they provide some natural shading and cooling.
Yep, those darn kids are expensive, aren't they?

We've done some small landscaping projects to help with water conservation. Re-doing our sprinkler system and overseeding the lawn with more water-savvy types of grass has helped. The trees stay, because they do make make an enormous difference in our household cooling, at least until the Emerald Ash Borer takes them out. Sigh. Not looking forward to that. Our neighborhood is wall-to-wall Ash trees, and that bug is eventually going to wreak havoc.

In the meantime, our water conservation is mostly an indoor pursuit. Our water usage is about half of what's typical for a similar household, but until everyone in the region does the same, it's mostly an exercise in futility.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yep, those darn kids are expensive, aren't they?

We've done some small landscaping projects to help with water conservation. Re-doing our sprinkler system and overseeding the lawn with more water-savvy types of grass has helped. The trees stay, because they do make make an enormous difference in our household cooling, at least until the Emerald Ash Borer takes them out. Sigh. Not looking forward to that. Our neighborhood is wall-to-wall Ash trees, and that bug is eventually going to wreak havoc.

In the meantime, our water conservation is mostly an indoor pursuit. Our water usage is about half of what's typical for a similar household, but until everyone in the region does the same, it's mostly an exercise in futility.
Ha, ha! After they graduate, you have all those years left (LOL) to work full time to replenish your savings! We have a couple Ash trees as well; they're nice and big after 25 years. I'll be sad to see them go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver