Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,887 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Northglenn all of my life and it is a great place to live. There is a lot of older areas, but when we were searching for houses we found that the older houses were of much better quality than the newer cookie cutter ones. The area is safe, close to shopping, restaurants (mostly chain) and easy access to highways and such. I would highly recommend Northglenn. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was driving around Northglen the other day (hadn't been in Northglen since '96) and I was shocked by how dumpy it seems. Thornton and Federal Heights too. I went into the grocery store and everyone seemed middle-aged to old, in wheelchairs, on oxygen or if they were young, looked like drugged losers. The other weird thing about this area is how slow it's seemed to develop. For instance, neighborhoods with small houses from the '60s, then a trailer park, then an open field, then a new apartment complex, another open field. And a lot of the strip malls have gone downhill with check cashing places, dollar stores, tattoo parlors, etc. This whole part of town just seems depressing to me.
where were you at? I live in Northglenn in a newer sub-division. There is a few dumpy stores, but they are slowly going out of biz and getting replaced. There are some old sub-divisions here, but they are not that bad, I have yet to actualy see a tatoo parlor here lol. you might have been in Federal Heights though. it is right on northglenns border, and is not in the best of shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon View Post
People have to live somewhere.. and for now the north metro, especially east of I-25, is cheap. But some areas would probably benefit from renewal programs.

Is there really anything wrong with having small houses from the 60s?
in northglenn there is a renewal program going on, they are offering some predesigned remodels and waving permit fees. They just got done with a renewal project along 104th to get the road side to look better with a new trail and new landscaping, best buy just opened its doors off of 104th and I-25 along with the newer commercial area where the northglenn mall used to be.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
I have been born and raised in northern Colorado, and have lived in Northglenn, Brighton and Broomfield throughout the years.

Broomfield, Lafeyette, and Louisville are very nice towns, however they get a ton of the overflow from Boulder and therefor it is more expensive to live there then other areas of Denver.

Brighton and the reunion areas are also nice towns that are growing like crazy, however if your goal is to travel to the northern I-25 corridor you will have trouble with traffic and accesability.

Northglenn and Thornton are usually a little less expensive however much of the southern areas are becoming bad neighborhoods. If you can stay north of 112th or so they are decent neighborhoods, and the price is not too bad.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld86 View Post
Thank you all for your input. We are looking at the area this weekend. We have no problem with the smaller, older areas, but are hoping to find newer housing simply because it is easier for upkeep. I am leaning towards Thornton or Broomfield, but we'll see. Any other insights would be appreciated!
My insight is that you will not find a new, SFH in either one of these places for no more than $200K. Perhaps a townhouse or condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver