Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times

Advertisements

Moderator Note: Since we don't have a thread on this topic, I thought I'd copy a few recent posts and start a new thread. Have at it folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No offense, but have you ever left the suburbs? Lack of feel exists in the burbs, but hardly in town. Strip malls? Not so much in the city.

Comfort food: Steuben's
Sushi: so many options it's hard to list them. Sushi Den is nationally acclaimed.
I still don't understand "comfort food". Why would food comfort you? Pot roast and fried chicken?? I would think that type of food would kill you lol!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-06-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,567,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I still don't understand "comfort food". Why would food comfort you? Pot roast and fried chicken?? I would think that type of food would kill you lol!
Not my idea of eating either, but he asked. I rarely eat meat and won't touch anything fried anymore. People call me strange.

He should also check out Tom's Home Cookin.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociet...tos.php?page=2

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
"Comfort food" to me is Village Inn.
Lots of those around.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
As with any discussion, it helps to start with a definition. So if one wants to check that, here's the Wiki on Comfort Food, and there's a lot listed, not sure I agree with it all.

When I think of comfort food, I think meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Or pot roast.

Ted's Montana Grill has both bison meatloaf and bison pot roast, and it hits the spot for my wife's tastes.

Wiki says burgers are comfort food, though I'm not sure I'd agree. And Wild Alaska Salmon as Comfort Food?

Anyway, what is YOUR version of Comfort Food and WHERE do you go to get it.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default I make it myself

1. "Goulash" - recipe from my wife's mother
2. Green Chile - sometimes Colorado and sometimes New Mexico (never the same)
3. Lasagna - I am not allowed to make as it is "owned by my wife"

Does Rotel + Velveeta count?

Old 03-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
.... Does Rotel + Velveeta count?
Probably as much as cream cheese and Major Grey's Chutney as a dip with crackers.....

Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Comfort food for me is breakfast stuff - bacon, pancakes, french toast, eggs... hence my affection for Village Inn.

Also, Doug's Day Diner. Great English muffins.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 03-06-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As with any discussion, it helps to start with a definition. So if one wants to check that, here's the Wiki on Comfort Food, and there's a lot listed, not sure I agree with it all.

When I think of comfort food, I think meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Or pot roast.

Ted's Montana Grill has both bison meatloaf and bison pot roast, and it hits the spot for my wife's tastes.

Wiki says burgers are comfort food, though I'm not sure I'd agree. And Wild Alaska Salmon as Comfort Food?

Anyway, what is YOUR version of Comfort Food and WHERE do you go to get it.
OK, I get it now! People using food like I use alcohol (I kid, I'm not an alcoholic!)

Old 03-06-2014, 04:33 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times
If it brings back a memory of time past, a person long forgot or long remembered, a pleasurable event or times of our youth or brings us back to our ethnic identity or even gives hope returning to a time that we perceive as better--then it is a comfort food.

If is a food that we desire that satisfy more our appetite, so fulfilling our taste expectations and we continually crave that food when we are happy or stressed--then it is comfort food.

Comfort food will be different for each and everyone. Our own comfort food can change over our lifetime as we have meet more events and people that are associated with the food we eat. We also will experience a different food that was unknown to us and we identify it as a new comfort food; that new food experience may supplant another comfort food of our past.

Yet, some people in these days of group thinking and a commonality of though, brought out partially by the media, come to believe that a food must be a comfort food because it is expressed as being by the masses. These people, who lack the individual identify of self, will take on that comfort food to satisfy their obsessive need to be part of the perceived larger group desires.

In the opposite sense, a food can be an "uncomfort" food if in consuming it brings back memories that we choose to forget or it is part of social statement of expected behavior. Again there is those who are so susceptible to group thinking will then detest that food because they want to be part of group thought.

So, now that you have listen to my didactic dialogue, I should at least say what is one of my comfort food. My comfort food is a food of my family, my mother, of a time long past. It is a simple minestrone soup, finished with olive oil and grated Pecorino Romano cheese. As I eat it, I season it more with my salty tears of remembrance.

Livecontent

Old 03-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...My comfort food is a food of my family, my mother, of a time long past. It is a simple minestrone soup, finished with olive oil and grated Pecorino Romano cheese. As I eat it, I season it more with my salty tears of remembrance. Livecontent
BTDT. Memories of Mom's mac and cheese, crabcakes, lemon meringue pie, yellow cake with chocolate ganache icing (leftover icing made into a plate of fudge), and watching her make chicken and dumplings....all these things made from scratch, often using her ancient Mixmaster....60+ years ago.

TGI Friday's used to have a nice mac n cheese but they discontinued it. Shame, it had a nice zing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver