Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM

3,115 posts, read 5,025,053 times

Advertisements

Roxborough Park is gorgeous and quiet. The hiking is spectacular (on leash required). It is a gated neighborhood (with the associated strict HOA). If you call a realtor selling a home in there they will allow you to go in by referencing the realtor's name so you can check it out. Many of the homes in there are stunning.

There is a tiny strip mall on the way out there with a Safeway and a couple of restaurants. You have to go to Littleton for any real shopping or eating. But even so, if they allowed fenced yards, I would consider moving there. They do allow you to put in the electronic fences so if you want to go that route with your dogs it is an option.

I would think the commute to downtown would be just over an hour. You could drive to the light rail and then take that. I believe the light rail portion is about 45 min. The drive there is maybe 20 min from Roxborough park. For off leash you would drive to Chatfield reservoir dog park.

Edit: Edited to add that Ken Caryl Ranch has a great trail system. They do have leash laws but they are largely ignored when I have walked around in there so you would likely be able to walk their trails with your dogs off leash. Or at least you would have alot of company doing it. They have a private trail system.
http://ken-carylranch.org/open-space/trails/
Lots can be a bit small but nearly everyone has dogs so they make it work. Shopping and dining is very close. Commute to downtown is probably about 45 min.

Last edited by mic111; 03-04-2014 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM

403 posts, read 757,580 times
Morrison is also a great area. There are large parts of Morrison that extend up the 285 corridor that get no noise (or traffic) from Red Rocks Amphitheater or Bandimere Speedway. There are numerous neighborhoods where the homes sit on 2 or more acres and have beautiful views. I love the 285 corridor...travel on it daily since I live in South Evergreen. I much prefer commuting on 285 vs. I-70.
If you live in one of those neighborhoods (ex. The Homestead), you'll be doing your everyday grocery shopping and stuff like that either 5-10 minutes further south in Aspen Park (Conifer) or back "down the hill" in Littleton. Morrison does have a quaint, very small downtown area which has numerous small restaurants located close to Red Rocks. A great place to eat out during the warm weather months because a number of the restaurants have patios or rooftop decks.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 34,860 times
mic111 wrote: Roxborough Park is gorgeous and quiet. The hiking is spectacular (on leash required). It is a gated neighborhood (with the associated strict HOA). If you call a realtor selling a home in there they will allow you to go in by referencing the realtor's name so you can check it out. Many of the homes in there are stunning.

How would the commute be from Roxborough Park? Still about 30 minutes, or much longer?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandjo View Post
mic111 wrote: Roxborough Park is gorgeous and quiet. The hiking is spectacular (on leash required). It is a gated neighborhood (with the associated strict HOA). If you call a realtor selling a home in there they will allow you to go in by referencing the realtor's name so you can check it out. Many of the homes in there are stunning.

How would the commute be from Roxborough Park? Still about 30 minutes, or much longer?
I believe it would be at least an hour.
"I would think the commute to downtown would be just over an hour. You could drive to the light rail and then take that. I believe the light rail portion is about 45 min. The drive there is maybe 20 min from Roxborough park."

Edit: I just ran it through google map and it says 1 hr 2 min right now. 49 min. in clear traffic, but you have to add the drive out from the neighborhood to that so I don't think you would ever do it in less than an hour.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,376,359 times
With respect to those who like Roxborough, it is a nice area for those who like all it all new and sparkling, but it is not that great or has any unique attributes that can also be found closer to work. Why would one want to spend 2 hours or more a day commuting to downtown?

That hour, one way, can easily turn into much more with bad weather or traffic accidents on these heavily traveled highways. Google time? That is not very accurate; you still have to add time to park and walk to the office.

I am a strong advocate of public transit and know it well. However, driving to the rail station at the end of a long rail line, parking you car, walking to the platform, and using that will not be an improvement with still a long drive and time on the train...a short bus ride...a walk to the office. Yes, it has less stress and is much safer than driving and you can easily get to read that long novel...

I can see living there and perhaps having a job in the south towns but downtown?

As one who came from the east and is familiar with those who commute hours and hours into NYC; many times longer than what we are talking about here--I wince at the thought of these long commutes. This valuable time can be better spend with your family and adding the stress of the road does not improve your life. With some of the suggestions of adding driving here, driving there..to shop...get services...medical care...going to a park...? I would think over that lifestyle.

There are so many scenarios that working closer to homes makes life easier--as when you get a call from school; your child is sick and mommy and daddy are needed.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 03-05-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM

I agree with LiveContent on the commute. Too much time on the road. And you will see that reflected in the lower prices for nicer homes. People have voted with their $s that in general it is too far out. Also I believe resale in there is very poor. Things move slowly, reflecting the location being so far out.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:19 AM

356 posts, read 622,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
With respect to those who like Roxborough, it is a nice area for those who like all it all new and sparkling, but it is not that great or has any unique attributes that can also be found closer to work. Why would one want to spend 2 hours or more a day commuting to downtown?

That hour, one way, can easily turn into much more with bad weather or traffic accidents on these heavily traveled highways. Google time? That is not very accurate; you still have to add time to park and walk to the office.

I am a strong advocate of public transit and know it well. However, driving to the rail line and using that will not be an improvement with still a long drive and time on the train...a short bus ride...a walk to the office.

I can see living there and perhaps having a job in the south towns but downtown?

As one who came from the east and is familiar with those who commute hours and hours into NYC; many times longer than what we are talking about here--I wince at the thought of these long commutes. This valuable time can be better spend with your family and adding the stress of the road does not improve your life. With some of the suggestions of adding driving here, driving there..to shop...get services...medical care...going to a park...? I would think over that lifestyle.

There are so many scenarios that working closer to homes makes life easier--as when you get a call from school; your child is sick and mommy and daddy are needed.

Livecontent
Well put Livecontent... if you have a commute time of 2 hours a day that's equal to over 21 days annually spent in traffic! No thank you- I don't care how stunning the house and area is.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:44 AM

546 posts, read 1,814,636 times
Wow, had no idea it took that long to commute to downtown from Roxborough. I agree--not worth it!!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,950,697 times
I also want to advise against commuting, but particularly to Evergreen. It's easy to look at the map, see that an interstate will get you most of the way there, and assume that the commute is no big deal. But that is an illusion. The fact that I 70 can theoretically get you quickly into the mountains has led many people to underestimate the ease of commuting there (and frankly the ease of recreating along that corridor as well). In reality, I 70 is basically an urban interstate all of the way up to Summit county (and probably beyond - I don't use it much but I do know it gets worse every year). You'll likely be appalled at the combined effects of congestion and winter conditions on that route.

Realistically, you can't have it all. Taking advantage of the great job market in a major urban area precludes a semi-rural lifestyle unless you are willing to sacrifice hours of each work day to a long commute. And even if that is a tradeoff you are willing to make now, the commute factor is only going to get worse over time.

Last edited by xeric; 03-05-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,507,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post

Realistically, you can't have it all. Taking advantage of the great job market in a major urban area precludes a semi-rural lifestyle unless you are willing to sacrifice hours of each work day to a long commute. And even if that is a tradeoff you are willing to make now, the commute factor is only going to get worse over time.
Exactly.

Since you are going to be renting at first, why not find something close to work? If you hate it, you can always move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver