Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 4,858 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband is going to be starting work at CU Denver in the fall, so we're moving to the area this summer from Chicago. We would really like to buy a house since we want our 5-year-old to get settled in and not have to move again for a while. So we want to choose an area we'll love.

We're really hoping to find the following:

1. Good schools. We're open to public schools, charter, montessori, private; we really want a good place for our son. He has mild autism and thrives more in a hands-on, play-based curriculum, and I don't know how to find that. Public school is our most likely option, so a good public school is vital.

2. A 3-bedroom home for under $250K, and around $200K would be even better. We're open to older homes and homes not in perfect condition, since I know we're probably not going to find our dream home at those prices.

3. A friendly, safe community. A sense of community and outdoor trails and things would be nice, but friendly and safe are most important.

4. Commute. Since my husband will work downtown, we know there may be a bit of a commute if we live in some of the communities that have what we want. We're ok with that, but we'd like to keep the commute as short as possible. Also, public transportation nearby would be nice.

We've heard Broomfield, Centennial, and parts of Aurora. Any of those recommended? Where else could we look?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by littlestbird; 03-05-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:49 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Consider Arvada

Look in this neighborhood
6513 Gray St, Arvada, CO 80003 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

356 posts, read 623,899 times
Have you looked into Wheat Ridge? Nice older homes that won't break the bank and they have Sudburry Schools that I'm real fond of (if you haven't heard about them) Alpine Valley School | We are a community that supports each child's drive to learn..

Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Which CU Denver campus are you talking about OP? Downtown (Auraria) or the health science center in Aurora? It makes a big difference in our recommendations.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:45 PM

322 posts, read 524,868 times
Since work is located downtown, I would definitely consider areas like Wheat Ridge or Arvada. Arvada will have the Gold Line open in 2016, so that is a big plus for the commute. Broomfield and Westminster are also good communities. You could also look at areas along the West Line in Lakewood, since that train stops right on the Auraria campus.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I'd start looking along the light rail lines - west, southwest, and southeast.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Since work is located downtown, I would definitely consider areas like Wheat Ridge or Arvada. Arvada will have the Gold Line open in 2016, so that is a big plus for the commute. Broomfield and Westminster are also good communities. You could also look at areas along the West Line in Lakewood, since that train stops right on the Auraria campus.
We don't know which CU Denver campus the DH will be working out of. The health science center in Aurora is also called "CU Denver".

Old 03-05-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We don't know which CU Denver campus the DH will be working out of. The health science center in Aurora is also called "CU Denver".
He'll be at the downtown campus.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
So do Arvada and Wheat Ridge have good school districts? The only school districts I have definitely heard positives about are the Boulder Valley school district and the Cherry Creek school district. I'm open to other places, but definitely want to know that they have decent schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver