Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,979,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Thank you! For years I've been preaching on this site that people should RENT these toys (RVs, Boats, Skidoos, Snowmobiles, etc) when they want to use one and then walk away from it at the end of the day with their retirement and other funds intact. Same for second homes; just go to a resort for a week.
If these rental items meet your needs, so be it.

For those of us who race sailboats, or have specialized fishing boats ...

the rental marketplace does not meet our needs.

It's all about price/value of what we choose to spend our disposable income on, not what Mikefrombackeast determines is the best and highest uses of our funds.

I have no doubt that Mike chooses to spend and/or invest his disposable/recreational money differently than others do. Mike probably can't justify the ownership of an airplane, for example ... but I do and it's been worth every penny to me to have it for the last 30 years.

PS: Mike, I've enjoyed the use of my Colorado mountain resort properties for over 35 years. They've been a retreat for me, sometimes with a lot of work associated with them to keep them in good condition along with many days of use of a personal asset. Nevertheless, I made the financial choice to buy them and I can point to the significance that they represent in my financial portfolio. YMMV. If you can't justify going to the same places year in/year out, and like to have the comforts of a resort for your stays ... so be it. I like going "home" to my own place when I'm in the mountains ... and when it was only a matter of an 1 1/2 hours to my second home from my Denver residence, I used it several times per month. No way could I have afforded to pay hotel/resort rates to equal what I had at "home" ... my own bedroom, kitchen equipped the way I wanted it, storage for my recreational gear, seasonal clothing in my closets not needing to be unpacked every trip, my own hot tub nestled in the trees with a gorgeous view downvalley, my own books and audio equipment, ... etc. And a place to have company, family & friends come visit. I've seen families check out of some of the hotels in Vail with 5-figure bills for a week's stay ... and they didn't have as nice a place as I've put together for myself.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-12-2014 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 03:22 PM

26,138 posts, read 48,794,438 times
It should go without saying that if these items are used frequently then ownership is appropriate.

My preaching is aimed at those who buy an RV and leave it in the RV yard just about all year. Same for the boats that rarely leave the pier where they're tied up. Too many people fall into the pride of ownership trap during what experts refer to as the acquisition phase of life. Folks really need to take a hard look at their true requirements for these nice things and do a good financial analysis.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:32 PM

356 posts, read 621,629 times
Quote:
It should go without saying that if these items are used frequently then ownership is appropriate.

My preaching is aimed at those who buy an RV and leave it in the RV yard just about all year. Same for the boats that rarely leave the pier where they're tied up. Too many people fall into the pride of ownership trap during what experts refer to as the acquisition phase of life. Folks really need to take a hard look at their true requirements for these nice things and do a good financial analysis.
I agree Mike- I couldn't count how many times I've seen snow sleds, dirt bikes, boats, jet skies sit just collecting dust or are constantly broke down, but the owner is throwing away over $100+ a month not to mention the insurance/registration and storage (if not at house) and for what?????

If you use your toy frequently to outweigh the cost of renting- go for it, but if you just go a few times, save the money and rent something.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,979,703 times
Quote:

While you may apply your own yardstick as to cost/value appraisal ... you fall into the trap of "preaching" other's use of their resources by your own standards and what fits your idea of prudent use of money.

We've all seen this road on many C-D threads ...

'those other folks are driving wasteful/consumptive Big Trucks! or SUV's! and I don't need one, so ergo they don't NEED ONE either!

or have Houses which are WAY TOO BIG!

or drive Cars that are WAY TOO POWERFUL!

or wear jewelry that is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!

or have some other toy which "I don't need, or want, or think is appropriate for them to have".

and you get the rejoinders from others with the same thinking ... "Oh, they're wasting their money!" ... based upon your and their priorities and indulgences. I'll bet that you spend your money in ways that I don't, and that's your choice to do so.

IMO, if somebody wants to put a boat in at a marina here for minimal personal use, that's their decision to make. If they want to buy an RV that doesn't get much use, so be it. I don't view it as mine to judge that they've not optomized their financial resources.

But the OP here was asking if there were boating opportunities here in Colorado. There most certainly are, and I've spent thousands of hours through 50 years of sailing on these waters ... everything from Sloan's Lake Sailing Club short races on Wednesday eves after work, to many weekends racing on Dillon, to racing on Boyd Lake, Chatfield Res, Horsetooth Res, Bonny Lake, Carter Lake, Grandby, Grand Lake, Twin Lakes, Pueblo Res, Reudi, BowMar, and many other small and large bodies of water throughout Colorado. Friends buy an annual membership in lakes around the Applewood, or Boulder Res, or Sterling Res area. I've put rubber duckies in on many streams, rafted on many, too. Long summer eves after work in even the Denver metro area present lots of opportunities very close by ... especially if you live near to Cherry Creek or Aurora or Chatfield.

So this comes down to your determination that it's not realistic to own a boat here? On the contrary, the opportunities are virtually endless to use boats ... and there's many different types of appropriate watercraft for these waters which are nominal in cost to acquire and keep. And there's expensive watercraft, too, if that's one's pleasure.

Whether or not the OP decides to take advantage of those opportunities frequently enough to satisfy your cost/benefit analysis is really not the issue ... My point is that it's unrealistic for you to conclude that there isn't boating here in Colorado adequate to justify owning a boat unless they attain the use parameters that you have decided are correct. The only person who can make that decision for the use of their time and resources is the OP; how they value those moments is theirs alone to decide.

PS: I've got boats that haven't been in the water for years. Nevertheless, I can justify their ownership because I still wish to sail them when the time/opportunity presents and the acquisiton costs have long been amortized by my use. I cannot rent a comparable boat. The modest investment in these is worth it to me to keep them around ... and some will, in due course, be used by my grandchildren to learn to sail or fish and/or enjoy their opportunities on the water. I'll keep the boats if for no better purpose than that opportunity. Maybe they'll use them, maybe they won't ... it still isn't subject to your cost/benefit analysis as to whether or not I'll justify my investment costs.
I've got plenty of room to store them at home, and they don't present a problem for my neighbors, either.

"There's nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Wind in the Willows) ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver