Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:20 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,918,789 times

Advertisements

GRRRRR! It seems like drivers in Denver do not know how to merge! Every morning around 6.30 I get on 25 South at 20th Street and it amazes me that people just, stop, at the end of the on ramp and wait to merge into traffic.

I don't get it. I accelerate on the on ramp and have plenty of time to get over. Why don't most people do that? It is so annoying! Every time I walk over the pedestrian bridge I have to laugh because that on-ramp and merge lane is such a mess.

On another note, coming from the north, the right hand lane announcing the 20th street exit is clearly labeled as "Exit Only" but drivers still stay in it and try to get over at the last second and it really ticks me off!!

Do you think I have road rage or do other people notice these things??

By the way, there is a stoplight at the end of the ramp but it is not active, so people can't tell me that is why they stop.

Last edited by HighlandsGal; 12-05-2007 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: forgot the stoplight part

Old 12-05-2007, 01:47 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
GRRRRR! It seems like drivers in Denver do not know how to merge! Every morning around 6.30 I get on 25 South at 20th Street and it amazes me that people just, stop, at the end of the on ramp and wait to merge into traffic.

I don't get it. I accelerate on the on ramp and have plenty of time to get over. Why don't most people do that? It is so annoying! Every time I walk over the pedestrian bridge I have to laugh because that on-ramp and merge lane is such a mess.

On another note, coming from the north, the right hand lane announcing the 20th street exit is clearly labeled as "Exit Only" but drivers still stay in it and try to get over at the last second and it really ticks me off!!

By the way, there is a stoplight at the end of the ramp but it is not active, so people can't tell me that is why they stop.
Must be all the ex-Californians...

Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,424,047 times
Quote:

Rant away! I think hardly anyone in the US knows how to merge or let other people merge correctly. There's always some idiot who thinks the rules of the road don't apply to them and sit in the wrong lane far too long or don't move over until they literally run out of road and THEN realise the cars in the other lane aren't just going to give way to them. Of course, it's the idiots who then tailgate, honk their horns, flash their lights and give you the finger for daring to be in their way.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:39 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,528,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Must be all the ex-Californians...
LOL! Yeah, blame it on the ex-Californians! But I have to thank California for teaching me how to drive defensively with all the congestion and crazy drivers out there. It's a breeze out here in comparison.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,279,755 times
Quote:

i've also wondered the same things, and why so many people ...

slow to a crawl on a gentle grade as if the road might drop out to the far reaches of the universe at the crest

get completely confused by an intersection with other cars there

wait for 10 seconds at an intersection with noone else there

slow to 10 mph below the limit with the slightest hint of a police car in the vicinity (which sometimes turns out to be an abandoned car well of the road)

does seem to be more the case here than other places i've been (including CA, where traffic seems to tend to move pretty quickly sometimes, at least on freeways, even if turn signals seem optional...so not sure it's "the californians" as someone posted). i've been to plenty of cities where people know how to merge etc. - maybe they've been "busy" for long enough for savvy to have taken root in the populations there. while there are often exceptions, generally speaking it seems that in some places it's aggression across the board, some it's crazy but synergistic, some places it's totally polite to the point of total inefficiency, others it's nobody adapting to anyone else. pretty perplexing sometimes.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:28 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
I think Charles was joking. If I'm not mistaken, he's driven out there and probably knows how to merge.

In Colorado, there's plenty of "Death-merges" where you have about 200 yards to merge into traffic and at the same time, there's traffic merging to get off at the next exit which is insanely close to the on-ramp.

Back east and in places other than Colorado, you have to be on your A game because the roadway is constantly splitting off to the right and left. You really have to know where you're going and which lane to be in or you'll get lost in a hurry.

In Colorado, most everything merges from the far right lanes. What I can't figure out is why people have to drive in the far right lanes even if they aren't getting off any time soon. If someone is merging to get onto the highway, get over and let them in.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:32 PM

36,334 posts, read 15,932,517 times
Happens here in NC too. I don't understand why people STOP on the ramp. What is with that. There are some very short ramps with off-ramps right after the on-ramps, but there is still a way to do it, keep up with the flow of traffic. I don't get it. Even if I move left to let someone on, they still stop and I am looking in my rear view mirror wondering what the heck???

Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 PM

17,875 posts, read 27,269,911 times
Do they have Colorado plates?

Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,528,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I think Charles was joking. If I'm not mistaken, he's driven out there and probably knows how to merge.

In Colorado, there's plenty of "Death-merges" where you have about 200 yards to merge into traffic and at the same time, there's traffic merging to get off at the next exit which is insanely close to the on-ramp.

Back east and in places other than Colorado, you have to be on your A game because the roadway is constantly splitting off to the right and left. You really have to know where you're going and which lane to be in or you'll get lost in a hurry.

In Colorado, most everything merges from the far right lanes. What I can't figure out is why people have to drive in the far right lanes even if they aren't getting off any time soon. If someone is merging to get onto the highway, get over and let them in.
I know he was joking. I say the same thing all the time, being from California and all. "Must be the damned Californians!"

Old 12-05-2007, 05:45 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,279,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
that might require some savvy and adaptation..."'A' game"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver