Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM

231 posts, read 382,079 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Southern California but my wife got a job offer out in Denver and we figured our family is ready for the move. As soon as the kids are out of school in June we will be heading over. I do have a few questions though and was hoping the community could give me pointers and help me out a bit.

Basements seem to be in most houses out there. When I was living in Long Island back in the day I rented a basement. It was really humid in the basement all the time though. I ended up purchasing a dehumidifier thing and it worked pretty good. In Denver...well South of Denver, Highlands Ranch, Centennial or Parker, do the basements get humid too? Should I budget a dehumidifier in the price of the move?

Schools seem to be really good or really bad. Douglas County and Cherry Creek #5 seem to be great, but most of the rest seem barely adequate based greatschools.org. I have head that the site isn't the best, but then reading on here, anytime somebody mentions good schools they says Douglas County and Cherry Creek. Is there that much of a difference?

As far as homeowners insurance goes, out here we have our normal policy, then we have to have a separate earthquake policy and a separate flood policy. Out there what are the things I should make sure I am protected against? Also out here rates are based on the price of the home itself, not the land. Do you guys know how it is out there?

In California you're a fool if you don't have uninsured/underinsured driver insurance. Is that a big problem in the Denver area too?

Are there any "need to try" places out there that we should visit? You know, we have in-n-out, does Denver have any special places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
I currently live in Southern California but my wife got a job offer out in Denver and we figured our family is ready for the move. As soon as the kids are out of school in June we will be heading over. I do have a few questions though and was hoping the community could give me pointers and help me out a bit.

Basements seem to be in most houses out there. When I was living in Long Island back in the day I rented a basement. It was really humid in the basement all the time though. I ended up purchasing a dehumidifier thing and it worked pretty good. In Denver...well South of Denver, Highlands Ranch, Centennial or Parker, do the basements get humid too? Should I budget a dehumidifier in the price of the move?
Nope. Colorado is bone dry. Any humidity that might collect in the basement will be welcomed, especially in the winter.

Quote:
Schools seem to be really good or really bad. Douglas County and Cherry Creek #5 seem to be great, but most of the rest seem barely adequate based greatschools.org. I have head that the site isn't the best, but then reading on here, anytime somebody mentions good schools they says Douglas County and Cherry Creek. Is there that much of a difference?
When it comes to school websites, YMMV. There's also Find Colorado's best schools. Cherry Creek and DougCo are up near the top. Aurora Public Schools and Denver Public Schools can be sketchy. That being said, I graduated from one of the worst districts in the state and still made it through college alright. Teachers are only part of the equation. Proper support at home goes a long way as well.

Quote:
As far as homeowners insurance goes, out here we have our normal policy, then we have to have a separate earthquake policy and a separate flood policy. Out there what are the things I should make sure I am protected against? Also out here rates are based on the price of the home itself, not the land. Do you guys know how it is out there?
You won't need an earthquake policy, and you likely won't need a flood policy (but do your homework there). Rates are typically based on the replacement cost of the house.

Quote:
In California you're a fool if you don't have uninsured/underinsured driver insurance. Is that a big problem in the Denver area too?
I would get it regardless. It's not that expensive and it'll cover your arse if you get hit by a fleabag without proper insurance.

Quote:
Are there any "need to try" places out there that we should visit? You know, we have in-n-out, does Denver have any special places?
Casa Bonita - I KID. It's ok for the kids but the food is gawd awful and overpriced.
Good Times is no In-N-Out, but it's a good local burger joint.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Quote:
Both are mentioned as good schools, but they have very different leadership right now. You can search for what's the school board is driving in Douglas County over the past few years.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default My suggestions

Casa Bonita - read the Yelp reviews and watch the South Park episode
Smash Burger is better than Good Times (more expensive also)

Children's Museum
Denver Zoo

Old 03-25-2014, 03:06 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Where is work? Most people do not need flood or earthquake insurance here in the Denver metro area.

FEMA has maps to tell if the house you want is in a flood zone.

A lot of newer houses have humidifiers.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:33 PM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
Must try = Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dogs and Sweet Action Ice Cream.

There are good schools in most districts, but CC, DougCo and Boulder Valley generally rank as the best.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire S. View Post
Must try = Biker Jim's Gourmet Hot Dogs and Sweet Action Ice Cream.

There are good schools in most districts, but CC, DougCo and Boulder Valley generally rank as the best.
Bonnie Brae>Sweet Action

It sounds like you are looking for suburban living. Cherry Creek is a good school district as others have stated.

If you do want to look to the city, there are some great family neighborhoods and DPS has some excellent schools in these areas. Cost per square foot in the good city neighborhoods is higher than anywhere else in the region, but I would argue that there is a reason for that. DPS does also has some really bad schools. Performance of schools is closely tied to the socioeconomics of the neighborhood they are drawing from.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 03-25-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 03:50 PM

322 posts, read 525,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Bonnie Brae>Sweet Action
Thems fighting words! We'll need to have an official CDF taste-off to determine the winner.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM

231 posts, read 382,079 times
Yeah, looking for suburban living. As for as schools are concerned, we take a very proactive approach to our kids schooling. We like to stay involved and help out where we can too.

We have a Smash Burger out here, I wonder if it is the same thing. Good stuff though. I will be sure to watch the Casa Bonita South Park episode.

Thanks for all the information.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Do tell us where her job is and it'll help us recommend an area. Price range is a key item too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver