Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,619 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to CO in a few months, due to accepting a job at Anschutz Medical Center (in Aurora). We are seeking suggestions as to areas we should live that would be under a 30 minute drive (with traffic) to/from the medical campus. Since this job is only a year position, we will be looking to lease a home. Safety is very important to us, as is having a backyard for our dogs to romp and play. We are very active people who enjoy running (often with our dogs), cycling, hiking and playing tennis. We do not have children and nightlife isn't really our thing. We're pretty much just into our pets and enjoying an active lifestyle. As for our leasing budget, we are flexible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
So your budget is unlimited? Probably not. What is realistic? This will really help people reply in a valuable way to you.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 AM

Our budget is under $3000 a month.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
You won't have much of a problem finding something. Here is some advice I gave someone else who said it was helpful: Get a compass and a map, and draw a circle with about a 20 mile radius. That will get you about a 30 min. commute. If you want to go conservative, try 15 miles. Look in that area. You like what you like.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 AM

249 posts, read 1,029,658 times
I'd say City Park or Stapleton perhaps?

Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Sounds like Stapleton would be good for you - 5 min. or less to work, and you could lease a nice house in that price range, probaly well under $3K. Lots of trails, parks, outdoorsy young people/families, lots of dogs, a dog park, etc. The lots are generally pretty small, but people do have big dogs here. I have a small dog who refused to spend time alone in the yard anyway.

Lowry might also be worth looking into. Other than Stapleton and Lowry, most housing near AMC is dumpy/small/ghettoish.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM

We really appreciate the advice. We haven't been up to the area yet to look things over. We wanted to get advice so the search could be narrowed down for a weekend search and decision. We are very accustomed to running several miles safely within our area and a short commute. I suppose we have become accustomed to our little happy bubble here and hope to fnd another. Yes, we do have big dogs. They are in-door pups, who still want a yard. Our preliminary searches on-line have found rentals not too keen on 2 large dogs and 2 cats. Please keep the opinions coming!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We really appreciate the advice. We haven't been up to the area yet to look things over. We wanted to get advice so the search could be narrowed down for a weekend search and decision. We are very accustomed to running several miles safely within our area and a short commute. I suppose we have become accustomed to our little happy bubble here and hope to fnd another. Yes, we do have big dogs. They are in-door pups, who still want a yard. Our preliminary searches on-line have found rentals not too keen on 2 large dogs and 2 cats.
It might be easier to find pet-friendly places when you get here, and can drive around looking for "for rent" signs. That is what my DD did when she needed a place that would take a dog. It also helped that her boyfriend, who owned the dog, had a letter of reference from a former landlord about being a good pet owner.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM

We own our home now, but can provide references from vacation destinations that the dogs have been with us. Might need to go ahead and get that ready.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
We really appreciate the advice. We haven't been up to the area yet to look things over. We wanted to get advice so the search could be narrowed down for a weekend search and decision. We are very accustomed to running several miles safely within our area and a short commute. I suppose we have become accustomed to our little happy bubble here and hope to fnd another. Yes, we do have big dogs. They are in-door pups, who still want a yard. Our preliminary searches on-line have found rentals not too keen on 2 large dogs and 2 cats. Please keep the opinions coming!
Stapleton is definitely my "happy bubble", and you have safe areas to run. Most of the parks throughout the development connect, so you can run miles. I do 2 per day, different routes. There is a dog park here, but they don't segregate the small/large dogs for some reason, so I don't use it. If you have big dogs, they may like it. I think that would be your main problem with Stapleton - the lots are small (built with garages in back on alleys) compared to typical suburban homes, but I know people here with big dogs. It varies from house to house as well. Maybe even more difficult, finding someone who will rent to you with large dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver