Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 AM

82 posts, read 88,420 times

Advertisements

I stayed with a guy via airbnb in Capitol Hill and he did not own a car. He used car2go whenever he needs a vehicle. He said it was much less costly to rent on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Every place I mentioned has some public transportation service. No place is perfect, no area has enough service to please everybody, not even NYC, the public transportation mecca of the U.S.

If the OP really wants to go car-less, it can be done here even in the Denver suburbs.

Lessor routes can easily be supplemented with a bicycle, for example, and, as others have mentioned, ride-shares and so forth.

As I noted, it will take a bit of planning, and certainly more research into areas that are the better fit, but, it is not an impossible task.
You can't live in Parker without a car. Thats just crazy. The only bus service there is Monday - Friday commuter service to Denver. The "P" to Denver 5:30AM - 8AM, returning 3PM - 6PM, and the 410 to the light rail station from 5:30AM - 8:30AM and 3PM - 6:30PM. There is no other bus service available to do anything else. Many other parts of the Metro Area are the same.

You can't supplement that type of service with a bicycle. If you are going to live car free, you need all day bus service. Before you tell someone that they can live in Parker without a car, you should first try to ride the bus service in that part of town. Or at least look at the schedules for it.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 18,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I want to move to another state and I'd love to be able to go skiing! I'm from Texas and hate our extremely hot weather and lack of transit. Everything else about Texas is pretty good though.
Summit County has some of the best public transit in the country, and a lot of it is free. You would live in a ski town and have access to several amazing slopes. I have friends who are snowboarding instructors and ski patrolmen who don't have cars and don't need them in Summit County.

Best wishes chasing the dream!

Old 04-18-2014, 06:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You can't live in Parker without a car. Thats just crazy. The only bus service there is Monday - Friday commuter service to Denver. The "P" to Denver 5:30AM - 8AM, returning 3PM - 6PM, and the 410 to the light rail station from 5:30AM - 8:30AM and 3PM - 6:30PM. There is no other bus service available to do anything else. Many other parts of the Metro Area are the same.

You can't supplement that type of service with a bicycle. If you are going to live car free, you need all day bus service. Before you tell someone that they can live in Parker without a car, you should first try to ride the bus service in that part of town. Or at least look at the schedules for it.
Why so fixated on Parker?

And, why can't you supplement that sort of service with a bicycle? Or ride-shares? Or walking?

BTW, that is a perfectly good commuting schedule for someone who would be leaving the area for work or school on a daily basis and is content to stay home or in the neighborhood nights and weekends. Lots of people actually are perfectly happy to do that. And, one can rent a car if the need arises. Or even call a taxi. Need to get to the airport? There are shuttles for that.

Finally, as I have repeatedly noted, if the OP needs hourly bus service weekdays and weekends then the OP would find an area that offers that.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
I have an elderly friend who is considering living in Colorado Springs without a car.
Colorado Springs is not the right place. You need a car here. Look at Arvada, Wheatridge, etc. that have a street car network going into Denver.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

And, why can't you supplement that sort of service with a bicycle? Or ride-shares? Or walking?

BTW, that is a perfectly good commuting schedule for someone who would be leaving the area for work or school on a daily basis and is content to stay home or in the neighborhood nights and weekends. Lots of people actually are perfectly happy to do that. And, one can rent a car if the need arises. Or even call a taxi. Need to get to the airport? There are shuttles for that.

Finally, as I have repeatedly noted, if the OP needs hourly bus service weekdays and weekends then the OP would find an area that offers that.
Agreed! Parker is more of an exurb. Most of the closer-in burbs (and I'm not talking all *that* close) have satisfactory service, if not 24/7, pretty close to that.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Denver has great transit oriented developments, that's a given.

But I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Aspen. Aspen is built pretty close-connected where much of their shops and things are pretty close together. Don't ask me about their transit options like trolleys, buses, or street cars since I've only been there once in my life. But even after seeing recent photos of Aspen, I was quite impressed in the amount of walkable environments.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Yeah, I'd say downtown Denver. The bus system in the Denver metro is pretty good, but to truly live without a car, I'd say downtown is your only bet.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Yeah, I'd say downtown Denver. The bus system in the Denver metro is pretty good, but to truly live without a car, I'd say downtown is your only bet.
No! That is totally incorrect. Obviously you are not familiar with the public transit service in this area. Denver itself has many neighborhoods that are well served by buses and rail and some run almost 24 hours a day. Also, there are many areas of the suburbs that have the same excellent service with major bus routes and rail connections, call-n-rides. In addition there are many walkable neighborhoods with essential shopping that are on major transit routes.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-18-2014 at 10:57 AM..

Old 04-18-2014, 10:56 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
You are the one who brought Parker up as an example of an area with good transit service.

Quote:
Living in Parker
Walk Score: 21
Parker is a Car-Dependent city
Almost all errands require a car.

Parker Apartments for Rent and Parker Rentals - Walk Score
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver