Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've lurked here for a bit, just was wondering if anyone could spare a moment to give me some suggestions on things.

I'm 21 and from the Chicago suburbs. I don't have any schooling above a high school diploma, but I've been really successful managing a pizza place the last 3 years, taking a trip to the International Pizza Expo in Vegas and earning an award for being top store in the franchise. Takeaway is that I don't have a fancy degree for anything but I've got some accomplishments from after high school that I'm proud of, and I hope that I can apply the skills I've learned elsewhere.

I'm taking a week trip to Denver in mid-June to scope things out a little. What are some things I can do while I'm there to make my life easier in the future? Is there anything I can do to increase possible job prospects? Should I check out apartment complexes and stuff? Any specific ones? While taking a vacation is nice, I want this trip to be as productive as possible for my upcoming move.

I also would seriously love to live without a car in Denver. I've seen some mixed opinions on how doable this is. I know this would unfortunately mean less access to the mountains etc, but I think an occasional rental or making some active friends could lighten that blow a little. How is public transportation overall in the City? I don't mind walking much at all, and I'd love to be able to skate(board) from place to place. Am I crazy to expect to live decently without a car?

I've read neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Washington Park, Baker, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head are decent places to live. I've also read living off Colfax is good, but I've also seen something about slightly sketchy areas south(?) of Colfax? I could be totally mis-remembering things. I feel like the overall impression is that Denver is a pretty safe city, how worried about neighborhoods should I really be?

I know probably everyone says this, but I'd love a place by myself.. a small studio apartment would be perfect for me. My living space right now is already tiny so I'm really not too picky on size. I'm looking around on PadMapper and looking at WalkScore maps and stuff, are there any other sites or services I should enlist in my search for a place? Can I expect to pay less than $850/mo for a place to live somewhat close to public transportation etc?

No pets, I don't smoke. I'm a pretty active person, I skate a lot and would love to get into snowboarding down the line. I don't mind the winter at all, as long as it's nice as brutally cold as Chicago winters can be.

I'm really excited looking at moving to Denver. It seems like a really nice city that's growing in some really great ways. Colorado as a whole is just insanely beautiful, I can't wait to have even limited access to all the great things CO has to offer. I won't be going anywhere until I have $5-8000 or more in my bank account, and I've got some support if things somehow go awry. And let's just say I have my reasons for wanting out of IL, some more personal than others .

Sorry for the wall of text, or for missing any details that would help you help me. I really appreciate any input anyone has to offer. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
If the pizza franchise is a national chain, maybe you could transfer here. At the very least, maybe the people you work for knows someone here.

Most of what you want is doable: studio apt., using public transportation, etc. Most days in Denver are dry -- even in the winter -- so skating around is not a problem. There is even a skate park in lower downtown.

You'd like Capitol Hill best; Wash Park is for older people and more pricey.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Car2Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa21 View Post
I also would seriously love to live without a car in Denver.
Car2Go - 38¢/minute

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Here is a snapshot of available 0-1 bedrooms under $1,000 a month in the Capitol Hill/Downtown area from the padmapper app. You have plenty of options.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:04 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,401,935 times
You will be a welcomed addition to Denver. I enjoyed reading your post and I think you have the experience in the food industry with which you can easily find a position.

You need not be ashamed about your education for in the food industry needs responsible worker with drive, attention to detail, a desire to learn with good interpersonal skills and a desire to serve the public well. Combined all the that with experience, you will not necessarily need the fancy degree to earn a good living. I say that as a Graduate of The Culinary Institute of America with fancy degrees from there and elsewhere. Some who have fancy degrees, but lack the other assets and skills that I have listed, find themselves kicked out the door.

Since you have indicating an interesting in the desire to use public transit, I suggest you read my new post on another thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/34348076-post12.html

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 04-13-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 12:06 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Chicago-area schools must be pretty good....the OP wrote a great first posting that told us what we need to know in order to help him. +5
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: