Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,483 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My boyfriend and I are taking a road trip leaving from the Chicago area this Thursday and going to Denver for the week. I was wondering if anyone has made this drive and could tell me how safe it is? Are there any roads I should take extra caution on? How are the roads in Colorado when it rains? ( it's not as awful as LA roads in the rain.. right?) Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 PM

325 posts, read 371,498 times
We've done that drive. It's pretty unmemorable. And long. You're driving mostly across plains, except for a lovely bit in Iowa, which is rolling hills. No, Colorado roads aren't as bad as LA roads. LA roads are bad because since it rains so little, the oil just builds up and makes it slick when the rain finally comes down.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlady View Post
We've done that drive. It's pretty unmemorable. And long. You're driving mostly across plains, except for a lovely bit in Iowa, which is rolling hills. No, Colorado roads aren't as bad as LA roads. LA roads are bad because since it rains so little, the oil just builds up and makes it slick when the rain finally comes down.
Thank you for the tips! Yeah we were not quite expecting an eventful drive haha, hoping to make the full 15 hours with minimal stops. Just wanted to make sure it was a safe trip since we've never driven there. Did you drive at all through the night?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,149,375 times
It's 1,000 miles of pretty much flat and open countryside.

Important that you check the road conditions immediately ahead and the forecasts; this is still the time of the year for spring snowstorms. Icy conditions can form very quickly if snow falls, melts, then refreezes. Slushy conditions present hydro planing opportunities.

Use your resources to stay tuned to conditions; better to stop sooner and get reasonable accommodations if conditions ahead warrant than pressing onwards into adverse travels.

Of course, with the variability of this time of the year, you may have pleasant driving for the trip. The key is to be prepared for the chance that it may not be so.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It's 1,000 miles of pretty much flat and open countryside.

Important that you check the road conditions immediately ahead and the forecasts; this is still the time of the year for spring snowstorms. Icy conditions can form very quickly if snow falls, melts, then refreezes. Slushy conditions present hydro planing opportunities.

Use your resources to stay tuned to conditions; better to stop sooner and get reasonable accommodations if conditions ahead warrant than pressing onwards into adverse travels.

Of course, with the variability of this time of the year, you may have pleasant driving for the trip. The key is to be prepared for the chance that it may not be so.
Wow, I had no idea ice could still be a concern during this time, thank you much for letting me know! And it's comforting to know that in case of inclement weather, the terrain is relatively flat the whole way so the level of danger is slightly better. But I'll definitely keep a close eye on the weather!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 AM

26 posts, read 32,735 times
My husband & I have done this trip twice, moving to & from CO. It's l-o-n-g & boring overall. Going we drove until about 1am (got a late start thanks to the movers being late) and stopped in Omaha then finished the drive to Vail the next day. Coming back we drove straight through. As others have said, it's largely an unimpressive drive. Roads in the Denver area are fine, really no different than Chicago. The mountains can be a bit tricky if it snows, but if you're not heading into the High Country you should be fine. Basically just use the same common sense going out there that you would here. Have fun & enjoy Denver! It's a nice town! Head up into the mountains if you get a chance. There's some really beautiful scenery to see along I-70 once you get out of Denver proper. We usually saw mountain goats grazing on the side of the highway.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
I've driven the I-80 route west from Des Moines a handful of times. The roads will be fine. As others have said you'll encounter rolling hills in Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska, but after that the drive will be mostly flat. Once you get past North Platte, NE, the population thins out and the exits are further apart from each other.

Be prepared because the National Weather Service is calling for a slight chance of snow Thursday, and if the forecast holds up you may hit snow starting at Des Moines and encounter it on and off all the way into Denver. It'll be a quick turnaround, though, because they're calling for 60s to near 70 all through the weekend.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I've driven the I-80 route west from Des Moines a handful of times. The roads will be fine. As others have said you'll encounter rolling hills in Western Iowa and Eastern Nebraska, but after that the drive will be mostly flat. Once you get past North Platte, NE, the population thins out and the exits are further apart from each other.

Be prepared because the National Weather Service is calling for a slight chance of snow Thursday, and if the forecast holds up you may hit snow starting at Des Moines and encounter it on and off all the way into Denver. It'll be a quick turnaround, though, because they're calling for 60s to near 70 all through the weekend.
Thank you for the tip about the weather! We should be getting into DesMoines around midnight or very early Friday morning though so hopefully we catch the end of it[=

Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk5650 View Post
Thank you for the tip about the weather! We should be getting into DesMoines around midnight or very early Friday morning though so hopefully we catch the end of it[=
The forecast didn't hold up. The rain/snow is supposed to move through here tomorrow night and taper off Thursday Morning. It'll probably be rainy when you get to Des Moines but should improve after that.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,691 times
It's dull. It's pretty amusing when you enter Colorado and there's this sign that says, "Welcome to Colorful Colorado!" with a picture of mountains on it - and all you see is flat plains in every direction, as far as you can see.

Keep an eye on the weather, but if you stick to interstates and/or state highways, you should be fine, even if it's raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver